Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, JustAnEngineer

PaulSchoon
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Running Pro Tools

Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:58 pm

I am running Pro Tools 11, I have a Mac tower that is running the soft ware no problem, but on My 2016 Mac Book Pro I am ruining into some CPU issues when running large sessions, I only know a little when It comes to working on laptops. Any suggestions on what I should put into the Mac Book to help it run these larges sessions better.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Re: Running Pro Tools

Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:30 pm

What's your "Mac Tower"? Specifically the CPU and RAM. Those things could have upwards of 12 cores and 24 hardware threads and have as much as like 48GB of memory. Doesn't matter how much faster per-thread the MBP might be, the extra cores/threads could make a huge difference. Also is your 2016 MBP a 13" model or a 15" model? The 13" models all have dual-core CPUs, so you may have a pretty weak CPU as far as these things might go.

PT11 doesn't have freeze tracks, so you might need to manually print some of those plugin-intensive tracks to another audio track with the effects in tow. That'll let you disable the plugins on the original track. Then you can mute it and save some CPU if you know that track is done.

Freeze tracks made it into PT12. But PT12 is a ridiculous yearly subscription or $800 for a perpetual license that you get to re-pay for PT13. I got off the PT bandwagon and bought Logic Pro. $200 and no subscription. It's the best music production money I've ever spent. But if you're used to Pro Tools then you want to get it to work right, so that's why I talked about printing your tracks before ranting. ;)
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

PaulSchoon
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:24 pm

My tower is running fine, I had one of my buddy's help me build that up. my MBP is the 15". I have had to print tracks so I can run more plug ins and get rid of the ones from the printed tracks, that just takes extra time and I would like to get around that if possible. but hey you got to do what you got to do. thanks for the advice

MaxtheNinja
Gerbil In Training

Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:43 pm

Quite likely it is the issue as mentioned above, a laptop just doesn't have the raw performance as a desktop can. I would also check to see if the computer is getting hot, as that is a problem I have with my computers when using a lot of computing power.

PaulSchoon
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:11 pm

Could be that.

MaxtheNinja
Gerbil In Training

Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:14 pm

What are you using protools for? Can you use a less intense program? When I was using premeire pro for editing airsoft videos, my computer ran really slow. But I switched to movie maker, which works, it just isn't as good, and my computer runs much better.

PaulSchoon
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:16 pm

I use it for editing sounds for work. Can't really switch to something more basic. It's cool though.
What airsoft guns do you have?

MaxtheNinja
Gerbil In Training

Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:17 pm

I've got a VR16 avalon and an elite force G17. They are both really cool!

PaulSchoon
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:18 pm

Hey, where did you get that g17? I can't find them in stock anywhere...

MaxtheNinja
Gerbil In Training

Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:19 pm

Modern Airsoft still has some, they are sold out everywhere else.
https://modernairsoft.com/collections/a ... stol-glock