Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, JustAnEngineer

 
zacharyt1122
Gerbil
Topic Author
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:00 pm

Wait or go for it? Plus tips...

Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:07 pm

Hey all, my old Core2Quad system was giving me too many problems recently so I decided to let it go. I was using it as a den gaming PC for some older title, but now I'm ready to build a new one. I'm confident in my choice of parts, and I'm ready to spend the money, but do you think it's worth waiting for the holiday sales?
Here's what I have: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/zacharyt1122/saved/xXGnHx
Also, it's been a while since I've actually built my own PC. I know what I'm doing but if you think I'm wasting money on a part, or have too much RGB, please do let me know.
 
MOSFET
Gerbil XP
Posts: 370
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:42 am

Re: Wait or go for it? Plus tips...

Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:38 pm

Really nice list - I love it. You could not only get away with air cooling, you could do quite nicely with air cooling, and it would likely keep things quieter and be less expensive. That's my one and only note, and it's from personal experience. For reference, my self-built office PC is Core i5-7600K, Z270G, 32GB G Skill 3200 (8x4), 960 EVO 250GB and Mushkin Reactor 1TB, and a GTX 960 (b/c it got replaced in my home PC with a 6GB 1060 2 years ago). Seasonic FOCUS (Prime?) 550W that has high-pitched squeal, and cooled by Corsair H80i, which is on quiet mode and is serious overkill for a chip that never draws over 75W even when running at 4.8 GHz all-core.
Be careful on inserting this (or any G34 chip) into the socket. Once you pull that restraining lever, it is either a good install or a piece of silicon jewelry.
 
zacharyt1122
Gerbil
Topic Author
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:00 pm

Re: Wait or go for it? Plus tips...

Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:56 pm

Thanks MOSFET, honestly the watercooling is for aesthetics as much as just keeping a mild overclock, I have a custom loop 6900K in my office and my old Core2Quad was watercooled so it's just as much for the looks for me as it is the cooling. As far as noise goes, I doubt I'll even hear the fans as it'll be a living room PC and we have surround sound and it washed out the sound of my old PC's cooling.
 
synthtel2
Gerbil Elite
Posts: 956
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:30 am

Re: Wait or go for it? Plus tips...

Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:58 pm

I say go for it.

The big thing I see is that the PSU could be one of these two for the same price, and those are much higher quality. I've also heard many purports that NZXT's software does some obnoxious things, probably along the same lines as Razer's. I don't know much of anything about RGB controls and how easy this is to work around.

$330 is already a pretty heavy price tag for that level of GPU performance, and it looks like that card is usually selling for quite a bit more than that. RX 580s go for significantly less than 1060 6Gs, and Gigabyte has some cheap RGB options on either the AMD or Nvidia side. That Asus 1060 could well be the right thing (it should be particularly quiet, for one), but it's enough of a price tag to be worth double-checking.

What kind of display will it be hooked up to, and what kind of games do you expect to be playing?
 
MOSFET
Gerbil XP
Posts: 370
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:42 am

Re: Wait or go for it? Plus tips...

Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:06 pm

I guess I could point out that I've had my Evga 1060 6GB since August 2016, so almost 26 months already, and it was $259.99 from Newegg. Still a helluva card, no plans to replace it anytime soon, but I would not pay what I paid two years ago, at this point in time.
Be careful on inserting this (or any G34 chip) into the socket. Once you pull that restraining lever, it is either a good install or a piece of silicon jewelry.
 
zacharyt1122
Gerbil
Topic Author
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:00 pm

Re: Wait or go for it? Plus tips...

Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:40 pm

Yeah great point. I have 2 EVGA 1080Ti's in my 6900K rig, but I bought it right when the Ti's launched so I didn't get hit with the mining craze. I'll probably hold off until the 20xx series is out to see what prices do.
 
CScottG
Graphmaster Gerbil
Posts: 1252
Joined: Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:53 pm

Re: Wait or go for it? Plus tips...

Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:21 pm

..the price of the video card is too much. About $50 more will net you a 1070Ti (..very similar to the 1080).

Case seems about $50 more than it should be as well. I personally like the look of the InWin 301 for $70.
 
zacharyt1122
Gerbil
Topic Author
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:00 pm

Re: Wait or go for it? Plus tips...

Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:44 am

I agree, I'm deciding to future proof with a 1070Ti or save money with a used 1060 (seen prices in the middle high $200 range), TBH it's not going to see too much demand as I usually play the newest games on my main rig.

I like the look of the Inwin 301 as well, I actually saw a prebuilt rig at Walmart. Whatever company built it had a pretty tidy build but it was definitely a budget build for a midrange price. I don't like how the PSU would go up top, I think I'v been spoiled by basement style cases for the PSU. Plus the NZXT has a non-i version I could get for a little cheaper that I'm probably going to do instead of getting an overpriced fan and RGB controller.
 
CScottG
Graphmaster Gerbil
Posts: 1252
Joined: Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:53 pm

Re: Wait or go for it? Plus tips...

Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:06 pm

I'm expecting the 2070 to push frame-rates about as well as (or slightly better than) the 1080, and the 1070ti is almost as good as it.. so the net (after rebate) sub $400 price of the 1070ti isn't a terrible deal except for the "extras" that are offered by the next-gen cards.

I also like the Raijintek Styx for that colored anodized aluminum look:
https://www.raijintek.com/en/products_d ... oductID=26

..though the Thetis looks a bit better (if larger) with its more integrated glass side panel:
https://www.raijintek.com/en/products_d ... oductID=53



I could also easily "see" a mini-itx build here. The new inwin a1 (in white) is a bit interesting (..even if the ps that comes with it is bronze ..and mounted "up" in the case):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCY9H7fAjHc


Don't forget that in a couple of months you've got sales (and typical rebates) surrounding Black Friday. :wink:
Last edited by CScottG on Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Posts: 3774
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:50 pm
Location: Wisconsin, USA

Re: Wait or go for it? Plus tips...

Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:45 pm

Like about $250 overpriced to me.
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod
 
zacharyt1122
Gerbil
Topic Author
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:00 pm

Re: Wait or go for it? Plus tips...

Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:16 pm

DPete27 wrote:
Like about $250 overpriced to me.

What should I replace?
 
DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Posts: 3774
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:50 pm
Location: Wisconsin, USA

Re: Wait or go for it? Plus tips...

Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:56 pm

TBH I was just looking at your chosen parts and going by known "sale" prices. I look at newegg's sales flyers EVERY day. All in all, I don't disagree with any of your choices per-se, just that they're not particularly great prices at this moment. Watch for sales, and if anything, go for it on the week of Black Friday.

Let's see how close I was:
i5-8600K - Good choice, Intel is having supply problems so prices have gone up. They've been as low as $235
AIO - If that's what you want, fine. This was the only part I actually changed to a tower cooler for $40 instead of $90, but a 240mm AIO would cool a bit better if you're OCing HARD. Also the Corsair H100i is $90 after MIR also. Regardless, I've seen 240mm AIOs on sale for ~$60-$70 recently
Mobo - $185 is a LOT for a mobo. Might want to evaluate what you actually need in a mobo. Would an mITX mobo suit your needs for around $120-$150? mATX seems to be getting abandoned by mobo makers since case manufacturers couldn't seem to make mATX cases that were any smaller than ATX ones. That's a shame.
RAM - 16GB runs around $120-$140 nowadays. Of course if you want RGB you'll have to pay extra. Even RGB 3200MT/s has been around $140-$150 in recent history.
SSD - MX500 is a fine choice, and that $90 is an average price. However, you can get almost the same $/GB with a XPG SX8200 NVMe drive for $110 and that's before Rakuten's frequent 15% off everything sitewide sales.
GPU - GTX1060's are typically around $250-$260
Case- Not a bad amount of money to spend. I don't follow this particular case, so ok. What do you think about the Phateks Enthoo Evolv for $60?
PSU - Good choice. Price is good, they usually go for $50-$60 on sale. Here's another one to watch for $50-$60.

Subtotal = $1,000 - $1,100
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod
 
zacharyt1122
Gerbil
Topic Author
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:00 pm

Re: Wait or go for it? Plus tips...

Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:21 am

Thanks for the tips DPete27! I do plan to have push the overclock, but it's partially aesthetics too, my old Core2Quad rig's pump died 8 years in and I replaced with a tower air cooler, which worked fine, but I like the clean look of a nice AIO or custom loop.
Agree with the MOBO, I use the Asus X99 Deluxe II with my main rig, and I tend to like Asus stuff, but I agree a mITX would probably do the same for me.
I'll probably pick up that EVGA since it comes with the free power supply, $280 isn't that bad either.

Much appreciated on the tips! This will definitely save me a few bucks, but I'll still sick with a microATX case just for the added airflow and bigger AIO options.
 
DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Posts: 3774
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:50 pm
Location: Wisconsin, USA

Re: Wait or go for it? Plus tips...

Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:46 am

That's cool. I suggested the Enthoo because I really like its looks and it can support 240mm rads in the front and top (seemed like the AIO wasn't something you wanted to give up). Also, most of the fan mounts can take 120 or 140mm fans. It's really more of an mATX size case, see dimensions.
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod
 
zacharyt1122
Gerbil
Topic Author
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:00 pm

Re: Wait or go for it? Plus tips...

Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:50 am

Sure does, I didn't read it that closely. Definitely a bunch of options to consider now. Thanks for the help! I'm probably going to hold off until some black Friday deals to put it all together.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest
GZIP: On