Personal computing discussed

Moderator: JustAnEngineer

the_grinch
Gerbil
Topic Author

Streaming Build Complete

Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:58 am

My new build is purchased and assembled! I'd love some input on the last paragraph about image quality for my new monitor.

The only changes from my intended build:
1) Opted for stock cooler with the 2700x (didn't realize has RGB until I saw the cables in the box, which is fun for a change) instead of Noctua cooler
2) Went for a 1TB 970 EVO instead of 500GB version
3) Meshify C (tempered glass) on sale for a good bit less than the Define version, so I went with Meshify C
4) Seasonic 750W on sale for less than the 650W after MiR

Full Specs
Ryzen 2700x
MSI B450 Tomahawk (also didn't realize this had red LED. I just don't pay attention to that stuff when browsing specs apparently)
G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200 (14-14-14-34)
Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB
Gigabyte GTX 1070 Ti 8GB WINDFORCE
Fractal Meshify C with Tempered Glass
Seasonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 750W
BenQ ZOWIE XL2411P -- 144hz 1ms

My Thoughts So Far
I stated in my previous post that I intend on using this build primarily for streaming Fortnite gameplay. With View Distance, Effects, and Textures on highest settings, I consistently maintain >144 FPS to support my 144hz monitor. I don't care about the other settings in game so they are all low. I actually didn't expect to run Effects and Textures on high settings, but it looks pretty good and doesn't distract from the pwnage. In fact "Effects" makes it easier to see the glow around some explosives, which is a bonus.

OBS is up and running smooth. I don't notice any frame drops while streaming at all. I am running 1080p(60fps) on x264 "Faster" preset. It is SMOOTH and looks better than some pro's streams I've seen. I can keep OBS and Twitch Chat programs open on my second monitor with no issues. Speaking of my second monitor, I have not experienced any issues with it being 1440p while my primary is 1080p.

144hz Monitor Gameplay -- Wow. The high refresh makes SUCH a difference. There are so many plays I can make smoothly now whereas before it felt like I was making "educated guesses." I'm still trying to get the monitor image quality dialed in, which is proving tricky. I am used to my 1440p IPS panel, so it's hard to tell what things I can control on my new monitor and what are just a fact of life on a 1080p TN panel. Any tips here would be appreciated. Still, I would choose the 144hz over my better looking IPS panel without question.

synthtel2
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Elite

Re: Streaming Build Complete

Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:03 pm

You could check out the monitor with this. Is anything in particular bugging you about it?

the_grinch
Gerbil
Topic Author

Re: Streaming Build Complete

Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:57 pm

synthtel2 wrote:
You could check out the monitor with this. Is anything in particular bugging you about it?

I found some settings that made it a little better a few days after I posted this, and then have been too busy to check back to see if someone else had answered. I will give those test pages a try when I get home and will see if they make a difference.

My main problem is that it looked a little harsh around the edges. When I stream gameplay I can pull up Twitch and the Twitch feed actually looks a little smoother. For instance, when I look at trees on my monitor, the leaves look jagged, when they should actually have a smoothness to them.

It looks pretty good now, but maybe the tool you provided will help it look better. And like I said in my previous post -- I know the 1080p is going to have it's differences from my 1440p IPS panel. I still LOVE the 144hz refresh. SUCH A DIFFERENCE. I'll post back after testing out the tool you provided.