Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, JustAnEngineer

cfOH
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Re: Waiting for new TR system guide...anyone else?

Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:35 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:
It's a bit difficult to make recommendations without knowing what you intend to do with the PC and how much you are wanting to spend on it.

I really didn't expect anyone to produce a custom shopping list for me...that's what the SG is for, innit? ;-D

But since you asked, I don't game anymore on my PC, but I do use it for analytical tasks (optimization, simulation, etc.) and media production, so good single- and multi-threaded performance is important. Really, my research needs are
1) Intel (e.g., i7-9700K) vs. AMD (e.g., 2700X) -- my overclocking needs and habits are pretty modest,
2) which mobo to get once decision 1 is made,
3) best budget graphics card options ($150-200 range),
4) any new storage options and interfaces I should know about since my last build (system guides usually clue me in on this stuff in a really efficient way), and
5) recommended cases, p/s & coolers.

Budget is pretty flexible, but I build for longevity, so am willing to pay more if I don't need to futz with it in the near future (yes, atypical of TR regulars).

JustAnEngineer
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:42 pm

cfOH wrote:
I don't game anymore on my PC, but I do use it for analytical tasks (optimization, simulation, etc.) and media production, so good single- and multi-threaded performance is important.
cfOH wrote:
1) Intel (e.g., $410 Core i7-9700K) vs. AMD (e.g., $290 Ryzen 7 2700X)
This choice depends on whether your applications are A: single-threaded (where Intel has a performance advantage), B:multi-threaded (where AMD Ryzen offers better value) or C: embarrassingly multi-threaded and/or memory-hungry (where AMD Threadripper offers terrific value).
A: The Intel "K" processor comes without heatsink and fan, so you'll need to tack on another $30 for something like the Arctic Freezer 13 CO to cool your CPU.
B: The AMD Ryzen 7 processor comes with a quite serviceable Wraith Prism CPU cooler included.
C: A $555 Threadripper 1950X offers 16 cores and 32 threads for a very accessible price. You'll have to spend $45 more to add a CPU cooler.

cfOH wrote:
2) Which mobo to get once decision 1 is made
A: For the Core i7-9700K, you will want a motherboard with Intel's Z390 chipset. Newegg has more than a dozen suitable motheboards. The $184 MSI MPG Z390M Gaming Edge AC seems to check most of the boxes in a micro-ATX form factor.
B: For the Ryzen 7 2700X, you will want a motherboard with AMD's Z470 or B450 chipset. Newegg again has several motherboards from which to choose. In the micro-ATX form factor that I like, the $84 Gigabyte B450 Aorus M looks well-equipped.
C: Several good sTR4 motherboards with AMD's X399 chipset are available. Only one is in the micro-ATX form factor, but it has just 4 DIMM slots instead of the 8 memory slots found on larger sTR4 motherboards, so take a look at an ATX option like the $325 -30MIR ASRock X399 Taichi.

cfOH wrote:
3) best budget graphics card options ($150-200 range)
Without gaming, the need for a powerful graphics card is limited. A $105 Radeon RX560-896 4GB would handle only modest gaming, but it would be more than sufficient for your non-gaming uses. A $145 Radeon RX570 4GB would handle quite a bit of gaming, if you feel the need in the future. On the NVidia side, the $170 -15MIR GeForce GTX1050Ti 4GB offers performance between those two Radeon cards but it is priced higher than either of them.

cfOH wrote:
4) any new storage options and interfaces I should know about since my last build
A PCIe NVMe SSD can be even quicker than a SATA SSD. A ½ TB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD may be a good choice for your system drive. $178 0.51 TB Samsung 970 Pro offers top performance for a higher price than other brands. A $290 2.0 TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD provides a decent amount of storage for your programs, if you want something faster than a spinning hard-drive.

cfOH wrote:
5) recommended cases, p/s & coolers.
There are lots of good ATX cases on the market. Choices for micro-ATX are somewhat more limited, but that's still my preferred form factor. Take a look at Silverstone, Fractal Design Define series, etc.

The best power supplies are made by SeaSonic. Since you're not pushing a high-end graphics card, you don't need a monster power supply, but the $108½ -25MIR SeaSonic Focus+ Platinum SSR-650PX is a very good PSU that will handle even a power-hungry gaming graphics card.

I've decided that Noctua case fans are about the best on the market, but they're the most expensive, too.
i7-9700K, NH-D15, Z390M Pro4, 32 GiB, RX Vega64, Define Mini-C, SSR-850PX, C32HG70+U2407, RK-9000BR, MX518

cfOH
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:18 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:
C: A $555 Threadripper 1950X offers 16 cores and 32 threads for a very accessible price. You'll have to spend $45 more to add a CPU cooler.

Yeah, I think that's a bit outside my price range. This is my home machine, after all...truly serious work happens at the office with someone else paying for hardware. The value of the AMDs is really compelling. I just haven't had anything but Intel in my machines since...um...it's been quite a while. I'll probably go with the 2700X setup and bank the savings.

JustAnEngineer wrote:
Take a look at Silverstone, Fractal Design, etc.

Yep, the last build I did for the office is in a Fractal Design case...zero complaints.

JustAnEngineer wrote:
The best power supplies are made by SeaSonic.

Thanks! I appreciate the insights. Definitely nudges me in a helpful direction.

Sigeric
Gerbil

Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:55 am

If you have a MicroCenter nearby it is worth taking a look to see what deals they have. I thought I was getting a good deal on a Ryzen 1700 on eBay for 160.00 but then I looked at MicroCenter. I don't have a MicroCenter near me but I was still disappointed to see that they had a Ryzen 1700X for 150.00 and if you pair it with a selected MB you can save even more money. The AMD Ryzen 7 1700X, ASRock AB350 Pro4 CPU / Motherboard Bundle is only 180.00 and the AMD Ryzen 1700X, ASUS ROG STRIX B350-F Gaming CPU/Motherboard Bundle is only 200.00!

We should get a few people near MicroCenters to ship to those of us less fortunate.

JustAnEngineer
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:37 am

Sigeric wrote:
I don't have a MicroCenter near me.
They're up to 25 stores now. Their in-store processor+motherboard bundles are unbeatable for AMD or Intel.

Micro Center has the AMD Ryzen 7 2700X CPU plus the Gigabyte B450 Aorus M for $315 vs. $414 for those same items shipped from Newegg.
i7-9700K, NH-D15, Z390M Pro4, 32 GiB, RX Vega64, Define Mini-C, SSR-850PX, C32HG70+U2407, RK-9000BR, MX518

e1jones
Gerbil

Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:02 pm

In the last 2 years I've built 3 computers with the EVGA G2/G3 550W power supplies. Fully modular, and a semi-silent mode where unless I'm gaming the fan never spins up.

Two of the last computers were in Fractal Design cases, mine was the Define R5 and the other was the Mini C. The Mini I did a couple months ago for a mATX build and I liked it a little bit more than the R5, mostly because it was pretty significantly smaller, but it also had a removable tray on the back of the motherboard tray for 2 (3?) SSDs. The R5 offered SSD mounting on the back of the motherboard tray, but no removable tray, so in order to put an SSD there you need to do it before the motherboard is mounted, or pop it out to access the screw holes. Maybe they did an upgraded version more recently with a removable tray? The Mini only offers 2 3.5" hard drive mounting trays, the R5 something like 8?

The 'tunnel' on the bottom of the Mini is a little annoying to route cables in, and might get really cramped if you're using an overly long power supply... the EVGA worked ok. Just pre-plug all the modular bits you'll need and route everything before sliding the power supply fully in.
Gigabyte Ultra Gaming Z270 - i5 7600 - CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB - EVGA SuperNOVA 550 G2 - GIGABYTE Windforce GTX 1060 6GB - Crucial BX100 500G

JustAnEngineer
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:59 am

I've split off this thread to hold actual recommendations and discussion of build components for the OP. The "What happened to TR System Guides?" discussion continues in a separate thread:
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=121604