Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, JustAnEngineer

Bdlawntech
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Building new pc. Need advice please.

Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:44 am

Hello all -
New to the forum but not the website. I’ve been patiently waiting for a system build guide to come out to no avail. This is what I have chosen so far. Can you please look it over and help with any final decisions. My wife can’t stand me asking her about this anymore, can’t blame her this has been going on for weeks. This is my second custom build so I am not fully educated on all components but have learned a lot looking into stuff for the last month.

CPU- i7-9700k - I figure for only 30-40 dollars more than the 8700k, why not. And it’s sottered and not thermal paste inside as far as I know.

CPU cooler- this one gets confusing for me. I figured I would do an AIO, I have never installed one before but I like the astetics of it over an air cooler. So I’ve narrowed it down to NZXT kraken x62 or Corsair H100i? Both seem to get good reviews. I saw a video 2 or 3 fan AIO doesn’t make a big difference, so I figure get 2. The sizing of radiators I don’t quite understand. 280/360/420? I’m leaning NZXT kraken x62 bc I think it looks good.

Mobo- here I looked at Z390 with WiFi boards and there were not a lot of options. That landed me at gigabyte AORUS pro with WiFi. Looks like it should do all I need? Thoughts?

Memory- ok 16 gb (2x8)Gskill trident Z rgb is what I was thinking. Then I started thinking do I need all this rgb? Then the trident royal was released(60 dollar premium). Then I started thinking do I need more rgb? CORSAIR dominance platinum I also looked into. I assume the speed should be 3000-3200? Does that matter? that’s the memory delema.

Storage- oh even better. Ok so I figured Samsung 970 evo m.2 nvme 1 tb. Then I was going to do 1 tb 2.5 ssd. But then I found an m.2 860 evo 1tb same cost. So should I do one nvme m.2 and 1 NON nvme m.2 or a 2.5 inch ssd or doesn’t matter. I know they are the same speed but does it mess with the Mobo? I really don’t want and hdd. Then I saw samsung QLC ssd? Coming out soon cheaper prices maybe? 2 tb total one nvme one sata 406$. Which is fine but is there a better option? Should I start with 1 Tb nvme and add on from there?

Video card- 2070 or 2080. Good question. What games do I play? Good question. I’m not a gamer but trying to get into it. So I’m not sure what games I would like. I hear about all the big titles and figure I’d try those and see what sticks. I’m not sure if I like online games bc I’m usually not that good. So I have to see what games are good for that. Anyways I’m thinking 1440p at 144hz? But then I read 60 hz is fine? What do you think? 2080 is finally down to 700 msrp price with battlefield 5 included so I’m thinking just spend the extra(200$) and future proof my rig. But maybe the 2070 is fine too? does that make sense? Please advise.

Case- oh boy. Ok so NZXT h700 or fractal design s2. Like both design a lot. Fractal has a usb type c on I/o which I feel can be useful 5 years from now. I’m surprised NZXT does not have it. Is that a reason to choose one case over another? Lol

Power supply - 750w should do it. EVGA.

Led strips. Thinking of adding inside case figure I could always turn them off. These are easy?

Sleeved cables- I think they look nice.

Thank you for taking the time to read this. please let me know if there is anything I am overlooking or missing. Hope to finalize this soon. My wife will be happy when this is done but I look at it as part of the whole pc build experience and enjoy it:

Brian

leor
Gold subscriber
Maximum Gerbil

Re: Building new pc. Need advice please.

Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:13 am

Your assessment looks pretty spot on to me, no real bad choices there, I only have 2 bits of advice.

Get 32mb of RAM, 16 is fine if you don't keep lots of stuff open and tend to focus on one heavy thing at a time (like a game), but given the very quality of the components you have chosen , 32 just makes more sense to me.

The 2070 is a good card if you plan to never really play a ray tracing game, but it seems like the minimal card that can utilize ray tracing at all is the 2080 (it's possible that this entire gen of nvidia cards will not be able to support ray tracing in future games at all, so not sure if this matters much, we'll see how further optimizations affect performance).

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:28 am

leor wrote:
Get 32mb of RAM, 16 is fine if you don't keep lots of stuff open and tend to focus on one heavy thing at a time (like a game), but given the very quality of the components you have chosen , 32 just makes more sense to me.

Definitely agree here. 32MB of RAM should AT LEAST cover any Microsoft Word doc you want to load up!
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

JustAnEngineer
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:29 pm

Bdlawntech wrote:
CPU- i7-9700k - I figure for only 30-40 dollars more than the 8700k, why not.
I picked this same CPU for my recent upgrade.

Bdlawntech wrote:
The sizing of radiators I don’t quite understand. 280/360/420?
Case fans are typically 120mm square. A radiator like the Corsair H100i uses two of these, so 2x120 = "240". It's silly, but that's what they did. The H115i is called "280" = two 140mm fans.

Bdlawntech wrote:
Mobo- here I looked at Z390 with WiFi boards and there were not a lot of options. Thoughts?
There are a lot of motherboards that don't ship with WiFi included, but have a small M.2 slot available for an 802.11ac NGFF WiFi card like the Intel 9560 or 9260. You'll have to add your own antennas.

Bdlawntech wrote:
Memory- ok 16 gb (2x8) Gskill
Take a look at the reasonably-priced Ripjaws V line in DDR4-3000 and faster speeds.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... 6820232089
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... 6820232709
i7-9700K, NH-D15, Z390M Pro4, 32 GiB, RX Vega64, Define Mini-C, SSR-850PX, C32HG70+U2407, RK-9000BR, MX518

Voldenuit
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:08 pm

Bdlawntech wrote:
Mobo- here I looked at Z390 with WiFi boards and there were not a lot of options. That landed me at gigabyte AORUS pro with WiFi. Looks like it should do all I need? Thoughts?

I'm going to issue a warning against Gigabyte's Aorus intel motherboards.

When TR tested the Z370 Aorus Gaming 7, they ran into overheating VRMs:
Although getting my manual overclock dialed in was simple enough, my testing did raise some concerns about the effectiveness of the board's VRM cooling arrangement. While I tested the 4.9 GHz CPU Upgrade profile with Prime95 Small FFTs, [...] Even with the Gaming 7's small VRM fan in action, I observed temperatures from the VRM MOS sensor rapidly climbing over 120° C, at which point I stopped the test.
[...]
after I took off the VRM heatsink for pictures and gave it a thorough torquing-down on reinstallation, Blender load temperatures for the VRM MOS sensor fell to about 91° C under extended load with the 4.9 GHz CPU Upgrade profile, and Prime95 Small FFTs topped out at 124° C without the startling climb that I observed in initial testing. Those numbers are still high, but they're probably not alarming in a typical enclosure with more fans around the socket.

So, they got thermal runaway on the VRMs, and 124C once they reapplied the heatsinks. They note in their review that the VRMs were mostly cosmetic, with more RGB wiring than actual heatsink.

I ran into similar problems with my Aorus Z370 Gaming 3. My VRMs get up to 126C in Prime95 on my 8700K, which is enough to start thermal throttling, even with the CPU only at 60C with a H100i AIO.

The Aorus Z390 looks like it has similar design elements, I would research it thoroughly before buying, as the 9700K has 33% more cores than the 8700K. I've been able to get longer sustained OCs at 4.6 GHz 12-thread by undervolting the CPU, but I'm going to stop by Frys sometime this week and get some stick-on VRM heatsinks to see if they will curb this issue.
Wind, Sand and Stars.

Voldenuit

Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:24 pm

Bdlawntech wrote:
Led strips. Thinking of adding inside case figure I could always turn them off. These are easy?

Pay attention to the RGB connector(s) on the motherboard you want. There are 3-pin (DGV) and 4-pin (analog RGB/RGBW) connector standards. Some motherboards support one or the other, and some support both. The Gigabyte Aorus Pro you mentioned supports both, but if you choose a different board, make sure the lights you get are compatible with it.
Wind, Sand and Stars.

Bdlawntech
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:00 am

Thank you for the advice here. This is some good atuff for me to look into.
In regards to the motherboard, does anybody have any experience with Asus? Are they better than gigabyte? Do I really need a Z390 or is z370 ok?
Thanks for explaining the radiator sizing - that makes sense.

Voldenuit

Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:43 am

Bdlawntech wrote:
Thank you for the advice here. This is some good atuff for me to look into.
In regards to the motherboard, does anybody have any experience with Asus? Are they better than gigabyte? Do I really need a Z390 or is z370 ok?
Thanks for explaining the radiator sizing - that makes sense.

Asus and Gigabyte both make good motherboards and components. I was surprised to have been burned on my Gigabyte, since Aorus was supposedly their 'premium' gaming brand. I'd recommend Z390 over Z370 just because the Z370 boards were never designed to run 8-core CPUs, so if Z370s are already having trouble feeding 6-core CPUs with current, I wouldn't want to load them with 8.

Also, I saw you mention QLC SSDs earlier, stay away from them, their performance is not great, and they're not appreciably cheap enough to make up for it.
Wind, Sand and Stars.

Krogoth
Gerbil Elder

Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:54 am

9700K has higher turbo speeds than 8700k but be careful. It is a toasty mofo when fully loaded. High-end HSF and some AIO WC kits struggle to it contain it. Z390 is just a Z370 with 801.11AC support on the PCH and beefer VRM specs for the platform (designed to work with Coffee Lake R chips). I have no problems with my AORUS PRO Z390 unit here. The higher tier SKUs just have more bells and whistles but the core stuff is pretty much the same.
Gigabyte Z390 AORUS-PRO Coffee Lake R 9700K, 2x8GiB of G.Skill DDR4-3600, Sapphire RX Vega 64, Corsair CX-750M V2 and Fractal Define R4 (W)
Ivy Bridge 3570K, 2x4GiB of G.Skill RIPSAW DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Corsair CX-750M V2, and PC-7B

Voldenuit

Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:18 pm

guru3D tested the AORUS PRO Z390 and reported good VRM thermals when overclocked.

They didn't say what load test was used, though.

To elaborate, my AORUS Gaming 3 Z370 got to 126C on its VRMs with Prime95 Small FFTs @ 4.6 GHz, but running Prime95 with 'Blend' can get me as low as 61C on VRMs, so the result seems to vary greatly depending on how you're loading it (granted, small FFTs is a pretty unrealistic loadcase compared to real-world applications).
Wind, Sand and Stars.

Bdlawntech
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:09 am

More good advice thank you. Ok so I believe that most parts I have figured out. Couple of questions still-

Case- can’t decide if usb type c is a must. I feel like the fractal design s2 is maybe too open and I feel like my build would have a lot of empty space. I do not plan on ever upgrading to custom water loop. I like the cable management bar in the NZXT and adds some style - but for 170, no usb type c. I don’t get it. Are there any other cases that I’m missing that also have type c?

Gpu- really leaning towards the 2080- seems like the sweet spot for 1440p @144hz.

Memory- has anyone seen the Gskill royal in person? Worth it?

Again thank you for the time you put into reading all this.

Topinio
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:21 pm

USB-C is something I thought would be a must for me but turned out not to be. I do keep cases for a long time, so that decision could be limiting down the road, but last time I looked the non-C options were so much better.

GPU: if you can afford an RTX 2080, the only reason not to would be if you already had a FreeSync monitor or you prioritise FPS over smoothness (and/or will upgrade away the 2080 when it's too old to stay avove the maximum refresh rate of your monitor).
Desktop: E3-1270 v5, X11SAT-F, 32GB, RX 580, 500GB Crucial P1, 250GB Crucial MX500, 4TB 7E8, Xonar DGX, XL2730Z + L22e-20
HTPC: i5-2500K, DH67GD, 6GB, GT 1030, 250GB MX500, 1.5TB Barracuda, Xonar DX, G2420HDB
Laptop: MacBook6,1

Voldenuit

Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:44 pm

Bdlawntech wrote:
Case- can’t decide if usb type c is a must. I feel like the fractal design s2 is maybe too open and I feel like my build would have a lot of empty space. I do not plan on ever upgrading to custom water loop. I like the cable management bar in the NZXT and adds some style - but for 170, no usb type c. I don’t get it. Are there any other cases that I’m missing that also have type c?

USB-C on ATX cases is pretty new. Expect to see it only on models that came out late to mid this year.

The Lian-li PCO11 has USB C 3.1 Gen 2 connector.

Phanteks Evolv-X also has USB C 3.1 Gen 2.

Thermaltake's A500 has a USB-C connector, but reports say it's actually a gen-1 connector so doesn't do 10 Gbps.
Wind, Sand and Stars.