Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, JustAnEngineer

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator
Topic Author

Re: Time to finally take the Ryzen plunge?

Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:45 am

Krogoth wrote:
That's odd, AMD hasn't change the form factor for their HSF on the desktop platform since Socket 754/940.

Hmm... pretty much everything I've been reading says most HSFs at least need a modified clip? I will check for myself once I unbox the mobo.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Krogoth
Gerbil Elder

Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:07 am

just brew it! wrote:
Krogoth wrote:
That's odd, AMD hasn't change the form factor for their HSF on the desktop platform since Socket 754/940.

Hmm... pretty much everything I've been reading says most HSFs at least need a modified clip? I will check for myself once I unbox the mobo.

Actually, it looks like AMD changed the mounting starting with AM2. They changed to four screws on the corners instead of two in the middle sections. I suppose with a little creative modding you could get an old S940/S939/S754-era unit working.
Gigabyte Z390 AORUS-PRO Coffee Lake R 9700K, 2x8GiB of G.Skill DDR4-3600, Sapphire RX Vega 64, Corsair CX-750M V2 and Fractal Define R4 (W)
Ivy Bridge 3570K, 2x4GiB of G.Skill RIPSAW DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Corsair CX-750M V2, and PC-7B

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator
Topic Author

Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:53 am

Krogoth wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
Krogoth wrote:

Actually, it looks like AMD changed the mounting starting with AM2. They changed to four screws on the corners instead of two in the middle sections. I suppose with a little creative modding you could get an old S940/S939/S754-era unit working.

Most of the stuff on hand is AM2/AM3 era.

Edit: Ahh, I guess the issue is that if your (older) HSF uses a custom backing plate and/or retention mechanism, it won't work without an AM4 adapter. But HSFs that are designed to clip to the standard AM2/AM3 retention frame should work.

Walkintarget
Gerbil Team Leader

Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:18 pm

Krogoth wrote:

I'm betting its the boards themselves that are causing the incompatibilities due to the I/O covers and sizeable heatsinks on the VRMs. I get a warning from PCPartpicker that the board may have issues with the fitting on the La Grand Macho and require an adapter (?? dunno how that would work ??) and I'd have to measure it to ensure it fits.

The Macho is an amazing performer, and I was fairly sure I was going with an H20 AIO on this build, but the Macho offers legit performance and the added benefit of directing more airflow over the VRM area, so I'm going to have to accept its $80 price tag if I want to keep the CPU and board cool and cut down on fan noise as much as I possibly can (my current build has a first gen H80 with terrible pump cavitation that I never RMA'd).
AMD Ryzen R5 2600x, Asus Prime x470 Pro, Sapphire Nitro Fury 4GB, HP EX920 512GB NVMe SSD, 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro, 4TB WD Red HDD, Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Ed, Win 10 Pro

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:20 pm

just brew it! wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:
I got this HGST 6TB for $140 at Black Friday and I absolutely love it. Out of stock on Amazon right now though.

Looks like the 4TB one is in stock though... storage volume on the current desktop is 3TB, so while 6TB would be nice, 4TB would be sufficient.

Those nicely boxed HGST NAS drives seem to have been discontinued (possibly their corporate overloads at WD have ordered their termination). Whatever are available seem to be the remaining stock with random availability and somewhat high prices. Back in Black Friday 2017 I was able to score the 8TB ones for like $220, and now only the Seagate Ironwolf non-pro could approach that price. :-?

The WD Reds/Pros and the Ironwolf Pro's are much more expensive that I am not sure if it is worth it. I am putting them in a parity Storage Space so I have designed with the drives failing in mind to begin with (but I guess I don't want to sink as low as the Barracudas).
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator
Topic Author

Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:55 am

Lowest I'll go these days is WD Blue. Need to make sure you extend the head unload timer though...

Topinio
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:32 am

just brew it! wrote:
Lowest I'll go these days is WD Blue. Need to make sure you extend the head unload timer though...

The 4 TB model that contains 3.2E13 writable bits, and has an UBER of <1E14 bits (i.e. not good enough to be rated <1E15 bits) ? Shudders in sysadmin.
Desktop: E3-1270 v5, X11SAT-F, 32GB, RX 580, 500GB Crucial P1, 250GB Crucial MX500, 4TB 7E8, Xonar DGX, XL2730Z + L22e-20
HTPC: i5-2500K, DH67GD, 6GB, GT 1030, 250GB MX500, 1.5TB Barracuda, Xonar DX, G2420HDB
Laptop: MacBook6,1

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator
Topic Author

Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:24 am

Topinio wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

The 4 TB model that contains 3.2E13 writable bits, and has an UBER of <1E14 bits (i.e. not good enough to be rated <1E15 bits) ? Shudders in sysadmin.

At least it's not SMR.

The Egg
Gold subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:29 am

just brew it! wrote:
Ahh, nice to see that Thermalright is still doing the "go big or go home" thing. I had a pair of big solid copper Thermalrights on my dual Socket A system back in the day. Those HSFs weighed more than the motherboard!

I had one of those too, for my Palomino 2100+ (on the OG nForce1). I remember being quite impressed with it. Probably $5 in scrap copper.

As far as HDDs, now that I've got a 2TB SSD for games, I'm happy to be HDD-free in the main rig going forward. I'm surprised you'd want a mechanical drive, as you've got a NAS.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator
Topic Author

Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:44 am

The Egg wrote:
I'm surprised you'd want a mechanical drive, as you've got a NAS.

I've considered going all SSD, and dismissed it in the past because I wanted at least 2-3 TB local and the cost of doing that with all SSD was prohibitive. My SOP has been a small-ish SSD for boot and applications, and pair of HDDs in RAID-1 for storage.

Larger SSDs are coming down in price enough now that it may be time to reconsider that strategy, especially given that I pay double for the HDD capacity due to the RAID-1.