Calling all Gerbil's for System Suggestions

Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:43 pm

Heya All -

Back in 2015 I upgraded to the following setup -

ASUS Sabertooth M1
i5-4590
16GB RAM DDR3-1600
GTX 1060

Now I am wanting to do an upgrade (because I have to rebuild my main drive which has grown unstable and repeatedly won't boot.)

So, looking for suggestions along the following lines -

Should I stick with the board and max the CPU?

Like i7-4790k?

Or, should I upgrade board and cpu?

I do everything on this comp - to include gaming and video editing etc.

I always enjoy the awesome input here. :) Thanks in advance.
Core i7-4770K, 16GB G.Skill, ASUS ROG

The Egg
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: Calling all Gerbil's for System Suggestions

Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:54 pm

Don't upgrade to a 4790. Spending money for a couple hundred Mhz and hyperthreading would be a big waste. What res are you gaming at? If it's 1080p, just replace the failing drive and stick with what you have.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:54 pm

dractul wrote:
Should I stick with the board and max the CPU Like i7-4790k?
No. Core i7-4790K is not much faster than what you already have and the speculative execution vulnerability patches have seriously hurt the performance of hyperthreading in the past year and a half.

dractul wrote:
Should I upgrade board and cpu?
Maybe. If your existing system is broken or it isn't fast enough for some of the things that you want to do, then you should upgrade CPU, memory and motherboard to a new Ryzen 3000 series CPU with DDR4, probably on a reasonably priced B450 motherboard.

If your existing Core i5-4590 system is fast enough for what you want to do with it, then just buy a new SSD and keep the rest of your hardware for another cycle.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

dractul
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:19 pm

No. Core i7-4790K is not much faster than what you already have and the speculative execution vulnerability patches have seriously hurt the performance of hyperthreading in the past year and a half.

Thank you. This is what I was wondering about.

Appreciate the input - and as always there are solid explanations as well.

New storage drive and an SSD is the route I am going to go.

~ Drac
Core i7-4770K, 16GB G.Skill, ASUS ROG

Redocbew

Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:28 pm

That's probably what I would do also in your case. If the machine isn't causing you any trouble otherwise, and the drive is the only problem, then you might as well just replace the drive.

As things get older you are at a higher risk of something else shuffling off this mortal coil, but I don't know what you use the machine to do. If it's just annoying for you when stuff dies, then spending a lot more to try to proactively avoid that might not make a lot of sense.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:49 pm

How heavy is your video editing / rendering? Do you find yourself annoyed with encoding times? A new Zen 2 chip would be a huge leap in gaming *and* in video encoding, even one of the lower-end chips.
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.

Igor_Kavinski

Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:47 am

How about an adventure? You could get a used or better yet system-pulled Devil's Canyon and overclock the bejeezus out of it. And if something goes wrong, you have your i5 to fall back on.

Available for $269 on Amazon from seller masterg2k3.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:18 pm

What's your budget?

If money is tight, keep going with the i5 for a while longer.

I'm in a similar position to you with a Haswell quad-core CPU on DDR3 and simply doubling cores/RAM and adding an NVMe SSD is going to cost $750.

In a world dominated by applications that prefer single-threaded performance and where SATA SSDs are fast enough to avoid most of the bottlenecks, a Haswell quad core isn't really that bad yet.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.