Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, JustAnEngineer

Shane Haumpton
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Computer Specs for photo and video editing

Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:13 am

Hey Guys,

I want to know what is the best specs for photo and video editing?

I'm just new in this stuff so I don't think that I will be needing a super-fast one or should I get one for future-proofing purposes?

This is my build:
- Intel core i3 9100
- GTX 1050
- 8 gb of 2666 hyperx fury
- Any mobo that is cheap (any suggestion)
- PSU Cooler master 450 wattss
- Case hmmm (simple yet cool)

Help me decide thanks.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Re: Computer Specs for photo and video editing

Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:24 am

Photo editing require nothing special, though more than 8GB RAM will help significantly.

Video editing usually requires a decent speed drive and a beefy processor, since even if you're just dealing with 1080p video you'll be moving dozens of GB of data around on scratch disk, possibly hundreds of GB if it's a heavy edit of a longer file. Once you've made your video, encoding is a massively CPU-intensive job. An i3 is fine but it will likely be an overnight job. If you want to get stuff done quickly then money spent on a fast multi-core CPU like a Ryzen is money well spent.

I'm not around on these forums much anymore, but others will likely chime in with suggestions if you give a budget.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

The Egg
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:58 am

Where do you live (country) and what's your budget? Do you have any hardware already? What type of video files will you be working with?

Your minimum spec in any case should be 6-cores and 16GB.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:42 pm

From experience I agree with Chrispy, photo editing isn't a problem on any modern system. A fast processor will help slightly when applying complex filters but almost any multicore system from the past ten years can do the job passably if it has enough RAM.

For video longer than short snippets, you'll eventually want a lot of CPU and a lot of disk space. But if you're just getting started you may want to wait a bit on getting too spec heavy. The actual editing process doesn't modify the source material in real time, it just creates a virtual cue sheet of where to pull data from the source material and what effects to apply, and then previews it for you in the same way. Depending on what types of projects you get into and how many effects you're trying to apply, at some point you'll get a feel for which parts should be built in the master file, and which parts should be created as smaller sub-projects, rendered out, and then imported into the master. You don't always need to build your larger projects as one project file.

I'm using an old i7-3770S and I can render an hour of 1080P/30 in about 80 minutes in a sustained encode, or about one minute of a complex snippet in 2-3 minutes.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:20 am

I suspect OP was a spam account;
User doesn't exist and post count is n-1
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

pikaporeon
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:11 pm

Chrispy_ wrote:
I suspect OP was a spam account;
User doesn't exist and post count is n-1

and theyre asking for build advice in the folding subforum
Hey girl you want a bad boy? I overclock my backup servers.
Ryzen 9 5900X | 2070 Super | 32 GB RAM | BX100 500 GB+MX500 500GB+660P 1TB
Sempron [email protected] | 2 GB RAM | 6 TB | FreeBSD 12