Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, JustAnEngineer

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Re: 4K gaming question

Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:45 pm

So, I'm trying to beef up my PC right now to get ready to get into some fluid 4K experiences. Long story short: I was blown away by Cyberpunk 2077 and just knew it wouldn't look that good on console, so I'm planning to beef up my current specs. My question is what I would need.
Do I need to go all the way and pick up a RTX 2080 Ti? $1200 seems just not worth it...even a $1000 I see every now and then is a bit extreme. The RTX 2080 Super seems pound for pound just far more worth it, at about $700, but will it perform how I need it to? Also, at $500, the RTX 2070 Super is definitely appealing, but is it even worth looking at for what I want? Should I wait until beginning of next year?
For reference I have:
CPU: Intel i7-3770K Quad Core @3.5gig
MB: Gigabyte Z77X-D3H
PSU: Powerspec 750W 80Gold
GPU: AMD Sapphire Nitro + RX 590
RAM: 16GB DDR3
and I have a SSD too.
What GPU should I choose and what if any changes to my current specs should I change?

If CyberPunk 2077 is your target game, you would be better off to wait as long as possible (closer to the late April 2020 release of the game) before you upgrade. Gaming hardware (especially graphics cards) should continue to become faster, cheaper and more efficient in the next year.

CPUs and motherboards:
AMD released new third-generation 7nm Ryzen processors on 7/7/2019. CPUs like the Ryzen R9 3900X are more efficient and offer more processing cores than similarly-priced Intel 14++++nm Coffee Lake Refresh CPUs like the Core i7-9700K and Core i9-9900KF, but the fastest Intel chips do still hold a slight performance edge in most games due to their higher clock speed providing better single-threaded performance. You could buy a new 3rd generation Ryzen CPU and a socket-AM4 motherboard with reasonable confidence today, but if you were going to choose Intel, you would want to try to wait at least until 14+++++nm Comet Lake CPUs arrive with a new motherboard socket that purportedly will also accept long-delayed Ice Lake-S CPUs fabricated on the long-delayed 10nm process. Rumor puts Ice Lake-S desktop CPUs a year or more away from now.

Memory:
DDR4-3733 is the memory that pushes 3rd generation Ryzen CPUs to their best performance (because the internal infinity fabric communication runs at the same speed as the memory up to that speed). If you're buying today, DDR4-3000 or DDR4-3200 offers the best value. The longer that you wait, the cheaper that memory faster than DDR4-3200 will become.

Graphics:
AMD released new 7nm Navi Radeon RX 5700XT and RX 5700 mid-range graphics on 7/7/2019. These GPUs are more efficient and offer more performance than similarly-priced NVidia GeForce GPUs. HOWEVER..., Radeon RX 5700XT may not be powerful enough to push CyberPunk 2077 to good performance on a 3840x2160 display. To get that level of performance today, you would have to step up to NVidia's GeForce RTX 2080Ti / RTX Titan. With no competition at the high end, NVidia has pushed the prices of top-end graphics cards to painful levels. :cry: Waiting until early next year, we are likely to see AMD offer a larger version of their Navi GPU for the high end and we should expect NVidia to begin offering new GPUs using the same efficient 7nm manufacturing process as Navi rather than the older (more power hungry) process node used for their current GPUs. Given how much performance and efficiency NVidia has been able to achieve on the older process node, it's exciting to ponder what they may be able to do when they switch to 7nm. Even if you buy an NVidia GPU, we should all be praying for AMD to offer a competitive GPU at the high end to keep NVidia from having free reign to jack up prices even higher than the current $1100 / $2500 pricing for the GeForce RTX 2080Ti / RTX Ttian.
1: i7-9700K, NH-D15, Z390M Pro4, 32GiB, RX Vega64, ½TB 960Pro +2TB MX500, Define Mini-C, SSR-850PX, LG 32UD99 + UltraSharp U2410, RK9000V2-BR
2: R5-3600X, Wraith Spire, B450M Steel Legend, 32GiB, RX5500XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, P160, SS-660XP2, TV, G610

Redocbew
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: 4K gaming question

Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:19 pm

Yeah, waiting is a good idea. Even if the picture doesn't change much on hardware requirements April 2020 is far enough out that the pricing probably will.

You could always just go with the sledgehammer approach and build a monster PC that could handle just about anything within reason for the next few years, but that's also going to have a monster price tag.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.