Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, JustAnEngineer

wabbit
Gerbil
Topic Author

An upgrade that's long overdue

Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:23 am

Hey TR,
It's been a long time. How have you been? (bonus points for knowing the reference).

I finally bit the bullet and bought a new computer. The old one was dated circa 2008 and since I moved in with my boyfirend, the poor thing didn't get any love.
The most important bits are in my signature; if you prefer the PCPartPicker version, here's the closest approximation of parts I have (the chips are the same, some models may be different) https://pcpartpicker.com/list/T9wBb8
I got lucky (I guess, not sure if it works for everybody) with Windows as I had an old Windows 8.1 licence key lying around. Windows 10 activated with no issues with it.

Some stray observations:
    Damn, you NA guys are lucky - I paid ~$940 for the entire thing. Compared to PCPP prices, that's $200 more. Do you guys pay additional sales tax on those prices?
    Default AMD Wraith Spire cooler is relatively quiet, but I will need to make the switch down the line.
    Non-modular PSU is not a fun thing to have in a small case; PSU shroud helps a lot.
    For the price, the case is perfect. I would definitely recommend it to anybody who's thinking about a mATX system. Just switch the included fan, your ears will thank me.
    While on the subject of mATX - the format needs more love.
    I have an SSD on my work laptop, but I was surprised how much faster the desktop one is - guess that's NVME for you.

Things to upgrade in the near future:
      CPU cooler - default one is adequate and not very loud, but a better one is definitely recomended.
      PSU - this unit is good, but I wish it was modular and had fully sleeved cables.
      RAM - I think I'll need 32GB. Both my boyfirend and I use the computer and we have indiviual accounts. Windows seems to be RAM hungry in this case.
      Maybe add some fans to the case.

Let me know if anything particular interests you about the build.
    I'm just happy I returned to the modern age of computing after an Athlon X2 5400+ :D

Cheers!

JustAnEngineer
    Gerbil God

Re: An upgrade that's long overdue

Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:17 am

Welcome back, nine years later!

wabbit wrote:
    Bonus points for knowing the reference.
    G.A. Aiken wrote:
    He shrugged. “You’re not going to like it, I’m afraid.”
    “Well . . . to be honest, I don’t like anything.”

wabbit wrote:
    I finally bit the bullet and bought a new computer.
    Did you consider a new Ryzen 5 3600X, or was the deal on the 2600X too good to pass up?

wabbit wrote:
    You NA guys are lucky. Do you guys pay additional sales tax on those prices?
    Recently, yes, but it's much less than your 20%. I live in the area with the highest sales taxes in all of the U.S. My state and city sales taxes total to 10% or more and are applied to food and services, too. About one fifth of the states (e.g.: Delaware) have 0% sales tax. Because of the complexity of keeping track of and collecting taxes for hundreds of different entities (states, counties & cities), most internet retailers didn't bother collecting sales taxes and left it up to the consumer to turn in their own up until the past few years. Now, they collect at least the state sales taxes.

wabbit wrote:
    Non-modular PSU is not a fun thing to have in a small case.
    It would void the warranty, but if you're handy with a wire cutter and a soldering iron, all power supplies become modular.

wabbit wrote:
    Switch the included fan, your ears will thank me.
    The best (and most expensive) case fans are designed in Austria.
    https://noctua.at/en/products/fan

wabbit wrote:
    The mATX format needs more love.
    I agree. For me, micro-ATX provides the perfect amount of expansion capacity for a gaming PC without nearly as much empty space as ATX.

wabbit wrote:
    I have an SSD on my work laptop, but I was surprised how much faster the desktop one is - guess that's NVME for you.
    If there is a perceptible difference in speed while reading from the SSD, it's probably due to your desktop CPU and memory being so much faster than your laptop CPU, especially if it's asked to run flat out for more than a few seconds, where laptop processors start to run into cooling limitations.
    · R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

just brew it!
    Administrator

Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:24 am

A few random thoughts/obseravations...

wabbit wrote:
    Damn, you NA guys are lucky - I paid ~$940 for the entire thing. Compared to PCPP prices, that's $200 more. Do you guys pay additional sales tax on those prices?

It depends on location. While there is no national sales tax in the US, most states (and some local jurisdictions as well) impose sales taxes, which online merchants are supposed to collect on their behalf based on shipping address. For example... I live near Chicago; if I buy something on Amazon, I get charged Illinois sales tax; but the total amount of tax I get charged varies depending on whether I have the package shipped to my home (out in the suburbs) or my office (in Chicago proper), since there are additional sales taxes in the city.

wabbit wrote:
    CPU cooler - default one is adequate and not very loud, but a better one is definitely recomended.

Yeah, at least the AMD stock coolers are tolerable these days. Up until 2015 or thereabouts, the stock coolers were noisy enough that I simply refused to use them.

wabbit wrote:
    RAM - I think I'll need 32GB. Both my boyfirend and I use the computer and we have indiviual accounts. Windows seems to be RAM hungry in this case.

This is not surprising if you are using the "switch user" feature instead of logging the previous account out. Are you seeing actual performance slowdowns/lagginess, or are you just seeing increased RAM usage in the task manager? If it doesn't seem to be affecting performance I wouldn't worry about it. That said, I do consider 16GB to be a bare minimum configuration these days, especially if you tend to leave a lot of browser windows/tabs open.

wabbit wrote:
    Maybe add some fans to the case.

If your temperatures are reasonable there's probably no need.

wabbit wrote:
    I'm just happy I returned to the modern age of computing after an Athlon X2 5400+ :D

Welcome to the 2010s (in 2019)... :wink:
    Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

just brew it!
    Administrator

Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:33 am

JustAnEngineer wrote:

I agree. For me, micro-ATX provides the perfect amount of expansion capacity for a gaming PC without nearly as much empty space as ATX.

I was headed in this direction as well (my last AM2+ system and first AM3 system were mATX). Then AM3+ landed with basically zero options for mATX motherboards with decent chipsets on them. Stupid product segmentation. I guess AMD didn't want to cannibalize their own APU sales by providing a decent mATX platform for the FX CPUs.

Now that I own a couple of reasonably modern full ATX cases, there's less incentive to go back to mATX...

JustAnEngineer
    Gerbil God

Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:25 am

just brew it! wrote:
    wabbit wrote:
    AM3+ landed with basically zero options for mATX motherboards with decent chipsets on them. Stupid product segmentation.
    ASRock has bucked the trend with socket AM4, including their latest X570M Pro4.
    · R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

meerkt
    Gerbil Jedi

Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:18 am

wabbit wrote:
    Hey TR, It's been a long time. How have you been?

This. :)

wabbit
    Gerbil
    Topic Author

Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:01 pm

Thanks for the comments!

JustAnEngineer wrote:
    G.A. Aiken wrote:
    He shrugged. “You’re not going to like it, I’m afraid.”
    “Well . . . to be honest, I don’t like anything.”

I was thinking more along the lines of Portal 2, but this also works.

JustAnEngineer wrote:
    Did you consider a new Ryzen 5 3600X, or was the deal on the 2600X too good to pass up?

Sure did - the new kid was ~$130 more, so I said to myself - "Self, you will take the 2600X and you will enjoy the crap out of it!"

JustAnEngineer wrote:
    Recently, yes, but it's much less than your 20%. I live in the area with the highest sales taxes in all of the U.S. ...

Bottom line, living in a third-world country is bad for your IT budget!

JustAnEngineer wrote:
    It would void the warranty, but if you're handy with a wire cutter and a soldering iron, all power supplies become modular.

Do you want me to burn the building down? I did change a PSU fan once, but no soldering was involved - just cable twisting and electrical tape.

JustAnEngineer wrote:
    The best (and most expensive) case fans are designed in Austria.
    https://noctua.at/en/products/fan

I bought this - https://www.fractal-design.com/products ... -12/black/
    Same price range, slightly cheaper than Noctua, FDB bearing and colours that actually match the system (which, of course is the most important thing when you have no case window, but OCD strikes when you least expect it. Bit like the Spanish inquisition).

JustAnEngineer wrote:
    If there is a perceptible difference in speed while reading/writing from the SSD, it's probably due to your desktop CPU and memory being so much faster than your laptop CPU, especially if it's asked to run flat out for more than a few seconds, where laptop processors start to run into cooling limitations.

Actually, the laptop I was referencing was a ThinkPad T460p - that thing never had cooling issues (with the obvious tradeoff being pain in my back during business trips). It had an i7 and a SATA SSD (I could even game on the damn thing; I miss my old job). But yeah, the new rig is much more powerfull than the old ThinkPad.

just brew it! wrote:
    This is not surprising if you are using the "switch user" feature instead of logging the previous account out. Are you seeing actual performance slowdowns/lagginess, or are you just seeing increased RAM usage in the task manager? If it doesn't seem to be affecting performance I wouldn't worry about it. That said, I do consider 16GB to be a bare minimum configuration these days, especially if you tend to leave a lot of browser windows/tabs open.

It's too soon to see any slowdowns, it's just the RAM usage. You are right, I use the switch user function. I've trained myself not to have a lot of tabs open at the same time. The biggest RAM hog for me is Excel actually - try pivoting an unformatted .csv that's over 1GB unzipped (custom sales analysis of multiple advertising campaigns with full path to sale (every impression, click, video completion, etc. included with timestamps, cookie IDs, location and so on). I'd like to keep things running smoothly, so I think I'll buy the same kit in six months.

just brew it! wrote:
    Welcome to the 2010s (in 2019)... :wink:

Gracias! :D
    Better late than never I guess.

wabbit
    Gerbil
    Topic Author

Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:03 pm

meerkt wrote:
    wabbit wrote:
    Hey TR, It's been a long time. How have you been?

This. :)

I just didn't post on the forums or upgrade the old bucket - never stopped reading TR!!! ;)
    BTW, what's considered a decent subscription amount around here? It's about time I started supporting this site properly.

just brew it!
    Administrator

Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:12 pm

wabbit wrote:
    just brew it! wrote:

It's too soon to see any slowdowns, it's just the RAM usage. You are right, I use the switch user function. I've trained myself not to have a lot of tabs open at the same time. The biggest RAM hog for me is Excel actually - try pivoting an unformatted .csv that's over 1GB unzipped (custom sales analysis of multiple advertising campaigns with full path to sale (every impression, click, video completion, etc. included with timestamps, cookie IDs, location and so on). I'd like to keep things running smoothly, so I think I'll buy the same kit in six months.

I'd definitely consider dealing with 1GB spreadsheets to be "power user" territory, so yeah 32GB would not be a bad idea.

I occasionally fire up VMs, and that chews up RAM in a hurry; I'm also pretty undisciplined with the windows/tabs; I run multiple virtual desktops (on Linux with KDE desktop environment), and each of those typically has a collection of open windows related to a particular task. So yeah... the RAM usage adds up pretty fast. 32GB means I don't hit the pagefile enough to matter (though the system still does dip into it occasionally).

Igor_Kavinski
    Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:19 pm

just brew it! wrote:
    I occasionally fire up VMs, and that chews up RAM in a hurry; I'm also pretty undisciplined with the windows/tabs; I run multiple virtual desktops (on Linux with KDE desktop environment), and each of those typically has a collection of open windows related to a particular task. So yeah... the RAM usage adds up pretty fast. 32GB means I don't hit the pagefile enough to matter (though the system still does dip into it occasionally).

I've noticed that putting the VM storage file on SSD helps a LOT. Makes working inside a VM fun for a change.

just brew it!
    Administrator

Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:24 pm

Igor_Kavinski wrote:
    I've noticed that putting the VM storage file on SSD helps a LOT. Makes working inside a VM fun for a change.

Yup! I even have a dedicated SSD in my desktop for hosting VMs.

wabbit
    Gerbil
    Topic Author

Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:29 pm

just brew it! wrote:
    Igor_Kavinski wrote:

Yup! I even have a dedicated SSD in my desktop for hosting VMs.

Does that affect drive longevity more than the normal usage read/write cycle? I guess VMs would write more data, but I'm no expert in the field.

wabbit
    Gerbil
    Topic Author

Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:30 pm

just brew it! wrote:
    wabbit wrote:
    just brew it! wrote:

I'd definitely consider dealing with 1GB spreadsheets to be "power user" territory, so yeah 32GB would not be a bad idea.

You get bonus points for calling me a power user!!

wabbit
    Gerbil
    Topic Author

Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:32 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:
    just brew it! wrote:
    wabbit wrote:
    AM3+ landed with basically zero options for mATX motherboards with decent chipsets on them. Stupid product segmentation.
    ASRock has bucked the trend with socket AM4, including their latest X570M Pro4.

X570 was a bit (a lot) above my budget, so I went with the ASRock B450 board. Really impressed with the board.

Igor_Kavinski

Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:38 pm

wabbit wrote:

Lots of people don't know how to use Excel's features properly for sifting through and making sense of a large amount of data. You could make a youtube video about it and it would get thousands of views, if not millions.

meerkt
    Gerbil Jedi

Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:15 pm

wabbit wrote:
    what's considered a decent subscription amount around here? It's about time I started supporting this site properly.

The main site or the forums? Seems like the site's in limbo.

wabbit
    Gerbil
    Topic Author

Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:39 pm

Igor_Kavinski wrote:
    wabbit wrote:

Lots of people don't know how to use Excel's features properly for sifting through and making sense of a large amount of data. You could make a youtube video about it and it would get thousands of views, if not millions.

I guess I learned because I had to. It came with the job so I had to roll with the punches. Most people use Excel for monthly budgets and basic calculations; maybe that's why Google Sheets is getting more popular. Dashboards, pivots and forecasts (and other niceties) are nice, but how many times did you have to do that for personal things?

wabbit
    Gerbil
    Topic Author

Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:40 pm

meerkt wrote:
    wabbit wrote:
    what's considered a decent subscription amount around here? It's about time I started supporting this site properly.

The main site or the forums? Seems like the site's in limbo.

The main site. I don't think there's a subscription for the forums.

Igor_Kavinski

Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:50 pm

wabbit wrote:
    Dashboards, pivots and forecasts (and other niceties) are nice, but how many times did you have to do that for personal things?

Never. That's why I'm hoping you will make the video so I can learn :lol:

JustAnEngineer
    Gerbil God

Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:32 pm

I use pivot tables & pivot charts all of the time. It's a great way to summarize a medium to large list.
    For example, I pull a report of all open action items out of the quality notification system from SAP R/3 into Excel, then I put it into a Pareto chart of stacked columns, where each column belongs to a responsible person and each of the blocks in the stack represents a different status or a range of due dates. A list of over 1000 items becomes a single chart that summarizes things simply so that a manager can understand where to apply resources.

More and more, the biggest challenges in my job are not solving the engineering problems. The monstrous challenge comes in communicating the solutions to management as simply as possible.

Captain Ned
    Global Moderator

Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:52 pm

Proofing my dad's last computer (likely, he's 79) now.

Gigabyte H370M DS3H
    i5-9500
    4*16 GiB GSkill Ripjaws V DDR-2666
    Intel 660p 512GB PCIe x4 M.2
    Toshiba 4 GB dumb data drive
    Seasonic SSR-450FM 450W
    SilverStone PS09B case
    Noctua NH-U9S HSF
    Noctua 80 & 92 case fans

You'll notice the lack of vid card. He doesn't need one. I may have gone overboard on the RAM, but this box is replacing one built on a P45 mobo and I want to make sure this one will last as long. It's running Prime95 right now at my feet and after an hour it's topped out at 64C (RDP for the win).

Before anyone complains about no AMD, Dad is 100+% in the belief that no one ever got fired for buying Intel. Didn't even have to ask when he requested a new box, and the lack of RyZen APUs made it easy.

Due to orderer idiocy (i.e. not checking max height for the HSF compared to the case), I have a Hyper 212 Evo that was taken out of the box, compared to the size of the case, and put right back into the box.
    What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Igor_Kavinski

Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:41 pm

Captain Ned wrote:

May he live to be a 100 and beyond!

What is he using the PC for?

wabbit
    Gerbil
    Topic Author

Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:01 am

Igor_Kavinski wrote:
    wabbit wrote:
    Dashboards, pivots and forecasts (and other niceties) are nice, but how many times did you have to do that for personal things?

Never. That's why I'm hoping you will make the video so I can learn :lol:

I'll think about it. No promises though!

wabbit
    Gerbil
    Topic Author

Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:06 am

JustAnEngineer wrote:
    I use pivot tables & pivot charts all of the time. It's a great way to summarize a medium to large list.
    For example, I pull a report of all open action items out of the quality notification system from SAP R/3 into Excel, then I put it into a Pareto chart of stacked bars, where each bar belongs to a responsible person and each of the blocks in the stack represents a different status or a range of due dates. A list of over 1000 items becomes a single chart that summarizes things simply so that a manager can understand where to apply resources.

More and more, the biggest challenges in my job are not solving the engineering problems. The monstrous challenge comes in communicating the solutions to management as simply as possible.

I have the communication issue as well. You'd be surprised how much a scatter plot can confuse a manager. If the charts look pretty, they tend to give it a shot but give up quickly.

wabbit
    Gerbil
    Topic Author

Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:14 am

Captain Ned wrote:

Gigabyte H370M DS3H
    i5-9500
    Intel 660p 512GB PCIe x4 M.2
    Toshiba 4 GB dumb data drive
    Seasonic SSR-450FM 450W
    SilverStone PS09B case
    Noctua NH-U9S HSF
    Noctua 80 & 92 case fans

You'll notice the lack of vid card. He doesn't need one. I may have gone overboard on the RAM, but this box is replacing one built on a P45 mobo and I want to make sure this one will last as long. It's running Prime95 right now at my feet and after an hour it's topped out at 64C (RDP for the win).

Before anyone complains about no AMD, Dad is 100+% in the belief that no one ever got fired for buying Intel. Didn't even have to ask when he requested a new box, and the lack of RyZen APUs made it easy.

Due to orderer idiocy (i.e. not checking max height for the HSF compared to the case), I have a Hyper 212 Evo that was taken out of the box, compared to the size of the case, and put right back into the box.

That's a neat little system you have there. I considered Intel too, but the price was slightly higher for the CPU and a lot higher for the mobo. Plus the fact that there's an actual upgrade path for AM4 and my preference for AMD since the K6 days - easy decision really.
    What is it with dads and lots of RAM? My dad has 32GB and have no idea why - he's a translator, soon to be retired.

Igor_Kavinski

Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:00 am

wabbit wrote:
    What is it with dads and lots of RAM? My dad has 32GB and have no idea why - he's a translator, soon to be retired.

Maybe it's a guy thing. I've had 32GB in my desktop since 2013. Feels nice to see more than 20GB free in task manager. Not having to worry about running out of it might have something to do with it.

Captain Ned
    Global Moderator

Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:28 am

wabbit wrote:

It's the 10-year build timeframe and an attempt at future-proofing.
    What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

wabbit
    Gerbil
    Topic Author

Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:46 am

Captain Ned wrote:
    wabbit wrote:

It's the 10-year build timeframe and an attempt at future-proofing.

I guess. My theory is that he'll not clean the damn thing, so I can always add more RAM when I come over for regular maintenance.

JustAnEngineer
    Gerbil God

Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:26 am

Captain Ned wrote:
    Gigabyte H370M DS3H
    i5-9500
    Newegg has eight different AMD APUs for socket AM4, topped by the $145 Ryzen 5 3400G.
    Ryzen 3 3200G and Ryzen 5 3400G Zen+ Picasso Ryzen 3000G series APUs are built on Global Foundries' 12 nm process instead of TSMCs new 7 nm process used for Zen2 Matisse Ryzen 3000 series desktop CPUs, but Ryzen APUs definitely do exist. Here's a review:
    https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/a ... iew,1.html
    If you're not trying to play games using the integrated graphics, Intel's UHD Graphics 630 in the Core i5-9500 should be fine, and its 6-core/6-thread CPU is better than the 4-core/8-thread Ryzen 5 3400G. Things will likely swing to AMD's favor when Zen2 Renoir APUs arrive in the first part of 2020.
    https://hothardware.com/news/amd-zen-2- ... -3dmark-11

Captain Ned wrote:
    What does your father do with his PC that requires so much RAM? With the integrated graphics sharing memory bandwidth with the processor, I'd generally select faster RAM like a $140 Crucial BLS2K16G4D32AESB DDR4-3200 kit. However, I notice that the Core i5-9500's memory support tops out at DDR4-2666. Maybe a Core i5-9600K would have been more fun.

JustAnEngineer
    Gerbil God

Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:22 am