Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, JustAnEngineer

dractul
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

I'm Upgrading and Seeking Factual Opinions.

Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:09 pm

TR is always my go-to spot for asking about things - because these forums are not a caustic cesspool of oneupmanship!

Anyhow: I will be doing video editing and possible 3d modeling on this.

Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow (this is what I agonized the most over!)
CPU: Ryzen 9 3650x
Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 4, from be quiet! (decided on this because it isn't the Nocturna beige and has similar reviews.
MOBO: MSI Meg x570 Unify - chose due to BIOS, and according to reviews it plays well with my RAM and CPU
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z Neo Series 2x 16GB - should be all I need forever, it'll be the only color thingy in my case.
PSU: Corsair RM 850.

My current - and foreseeable GPU is GTX 2060.

This should do it all for a long time. Thoughts? Oh, I have a SSD for my system drive. I considered putting all my storage drives externally, but then found the Corsair case and decided to just leave em inside.
Core i7-4770K, 16GB G.Skill, ASUS ROG

G8torbyte
Gerbil Team Leader

Re: I'm Upgrading and Seeking Factual Opinions.

Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:10 pm

Looks like a good selection of parts. My last two major builds were with Corsair cases and I've been pleased with them having plenty of space and making cable management easy. My typical computer usage does not require multi-cores otherwise I would have also went with a Ryzen. I used an MSI board on my previous X99 build and it performed very well, stable and still working great after 5 years.
Be sure and get the "super" version of the RTX 2060 since it has more VRAM, 8GB vs 6GB, which you may need for larger screen resolutions.
Best wishes with the new build.
Later, -G8tor
Building PCs & gaming since"Chuck Yeager's Air Combat" 1991, Lurkin' around TR since 2004.
Current setups: Z390 Platform and DIY mini-ITX NAS Build

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: I'm Upgrading and Seeking Factual Opinions.

Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:34 am

Only thing I might change would be the motherboard; MSI has always kind of felt like they straddle the line between first- and second-tier to me. Asus all the way! Oh, and maybe ECC RAM (but I admittedly have an ECC RAM fetish).

But seriously, that looks like a solid build which should give you many years of reliable, world-class performance.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.