Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, JustAnEngineer

mavrick211
Gerbil
Topic Author

Built ?

Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:10 pm

So I got my parts and put them all together
All the lights come on but I get no beeps and nothin comes up on the screen where did I go wrong?
This is my 2 nd build

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Re: Built ?

Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:14 pm

First, unplug the PSU.

Take everything apart and rebuild it, making extra-special sure that the CPU is properly aligned, all RAM sticks are properly seated, and any expansion cards are properly seated. If that fails:

Seat CPU and 1 stick of RAM. Assuming your CPU has a GPU built-in, plug the monitor into the mobo output. If that fails, call back.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

mavrick211
Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:19 pm

On the mother board under a small fan there are 3 lights 2 blue and 1 red when I turn the psu on is that a indicator of a problem?

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:24 pm

Depends completely on the make/model of the mobo. Time to grab the manual and look up what those lights mean.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:34 pm

Sometimes you need to plug in a "PC speaker" or some sort of drum for you to hear the beeps. Definitely try to find out what the LEDs mean from the manual.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

mavrick211
Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:04 pm

The lights arnt mentioned in the book and I can’t find anything online
I reinstalled the cpu and put 1 stick of ram in the A2 slot like the book shows I left the gpu out
still does the same

I got it hooked up to my tv on my HDMI port get nothing

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:53 pm

You're not giving us much to go on.

List of parts? Beep codes? What are the LEDs lit up labeled as?
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.

G8torbyte
Gerbil Team Leader

Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:56 pm

Waco beat me to it, I was going to ask the same thing. List out your component part specs and model #'s and it may give an insight if there are any compatibility issues.
Later, -G8tor
Building PCs & gaming since"Chuck Yeager's Air Combat" 1991, Lurkin' around TR since 2004.
Current setups: Z390 Platform and DIY mini-ITX NAS Build

mavrick211
Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:30 pm

Ryzen 3700x
Asus prime 570-p

Corsair ram 2 16bb sticks

Gigabyte rtx 2070 gpu

The light are just behind the fan cover for the chip that’s on the board
They arnt labeled that I can see

It’s a cooler master 500 mesh case

As I understand it if I have the cpu and ram and board working then I should get some kind of response
All that happens is the lights come on including the ram lights so I know it’s at least powered

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:43 pm

Re-read the assembly instructions in the motherboard manual to ensure that you haven't skipped a step (like forgetting to connect the 4-pin and 8-pin EATX power connectors or not correctly connecting your CPU fan to the CPU_FAN connector).
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

Yan
Gerbil XP

Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:15 pm

Does this help to interpret the lights?

Yan
Gerbil XP

Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:29 pm

mavrick211 wrote:
As I understand it if I have the cpu and ram and board working then I should get some kind of response

You also need the graphics card. The Ryzen 7 3700X has no graphics of its own.

mavrick211
Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:03 pm

Appreciate you guys. I got it to load windows
There arnt any sounds at all I was expecting beeps and stuff
I plugged in headphones got no sounds

Can some one give me a list of what I need to do first after installing windows
I know your going to say I can find that online and I have found a bunch of lists but everyone is different
What’s the solid basics I don’t have a optical drive so I just get the updates for my hardware online rite?

mavrick211
Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:11 pm

It won’t recognize my internet so how do I update the motherboard and other hardware?
It says the Realtek PCIe gbe family controller is not operational?
On the bottom it says disconnected
Last edited by mavrick211 on Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Yan
Gerbil XP

Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:15 pm

1. Install a firewall (I like Comodo), or use Windows's.

2. Install an anti-virus program, or use Windows's.

3. Install or update any programs for your motherboard (see the manufacturer's site).

4. Update Windows using Windows Update.

As for the rest, well, we have no idea how you plan to use your computer.

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:32 pm

mavrick211 wrote:
It won’t recognize my internet so how do I update the motherboard and other hardware?
It says the Realtek PCIe gbe family controller is not operational?
On the bottom it says disconnected

Did you plug it into your router/switch? There's no chance your Windows 10 install doesn't have a driver for the network card.
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.

Yan
Gerbil XP

Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:48 pm

Waco wrote:
There's no chance your Windows 10 install doesn't have a driver for the network card.

I was wondering how that worked these days, now that so many systems don't have a CD drive, so you can't install the drivers from the CD that came with your motherboard...

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:51 am

It sounds like you need to install the Realtek ethernet drivers. Those would be on the CD that came with the motherboard, but you don't have a CD drive.
I see four easy options that use your motherboard's USB ports.
1) USB external optical drive.
2) USB ethernet adapter.
3) USB WiFi adapter.
4) USB flash drive or external hard-drive with drivers that you download using another PC that does have internet access.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

mavrick211
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:32 am

I got all of it working yesterday thanks to you guys for pointing me in the rite direction.
I had assumed it would be like my last build.
Stupid me that was 10 years ago

So this morning I get up and the sound isn’t working
I got headphones plugged in tried it both ends and nothin
I’m also disappointed this mobo doesn’t have a optical outlet. Guess I should have checked just seems to me for the price it would have one

I deleted the driver reinstalled it myself and it works now!

I can’t express my gratitude enough for this forum.
I appreciate you guys answering all my stupid question.
In a year or so when the new generation of CPUs come out and I can get one I’ll be building another PC and giving this one to my brother.

My old pc is in a cosmos case big monster of a thing but I like it. Is there a way to upgrade the USB ports on the front so I can use it in my Nxt build?

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:25 am

I think so few people use optical out these days that a lot of motherboards have dropped it. IIRC it used to be more common around 10 years ago.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:04 pm

mavrick211 wrote:
There arnt any sounds at all I was expecting beeps and stuff

As I mentioned before, no more. The board still has the speaker pins (Manual page 1-15 about the System panel connector), but you need to connect it to something in order to hear any beeps. I salvaged an old PC speaker like this for my test bench. Now you can just get something like this. Most wouldn't bother these days as LEDs give more detailed information.

mavrick211 wrote:
Can some one give me a list of what I need to do first after installing windows
I know your going to say I can find that online and I have found a bunch of lists but everyone is different

You are right. Everyone is different. If you are new to Windows 10, there is a bunch of homework that you will need to do to understand what is acceptable to you and what you to change.

Yan wrote:
4. Update Windows using Windows Update.
Yan's list is a good start. I have trouble with this one as Microsoft's track record with updates over the past few years have been pretty bad. But you probably do want to pick up security updates over "major" updates like the "2004" feature update.

However, generalizing a bit these are the main areas that you should think about and to find specific guides on changes.
  1. Security settings, like Firewalls and antivirus.
  2. Privacy settings, like telemetry, reporting, notification, etc.
  3. Update settings, the recommendation these days is to defer things a bit (if not to the max), to avoid an Update bricking your system

mavrick211 wrote:
What’s the solid basics I don’t have a optical drive so I just get the updates for my hardware online rite?
Get a couple of USB sticks. 16 and 32 gigs are getting cheap these days. This is how you installed your Windows OS, no? A large enough stick can host the OS install (using Media Creator, right? :wink:) and the drivers that are required.

mavrick211 wrote:
My old pc is in a cosmos case big monster of a thing but I like it. Is there a way to upgrade the USB ports on the front so I can use it in my Nxt build?
This is a tough one. Unfortunately, it depends on the case. Some case makers sell upgrade kits for their front panel ports for a smoother experience. Other than that, since your Cosmos case was popular back then, you can search to see if someone DIY'ed and documented how to upgrade themselves. Failing that, since a lot of your external drive bays are probably unused anyway, you can easily buy hubs that mount to your 3.5 or 5.25 bays. Heck, you can even get the fancy schmancy Type-C port(s)!

just brew it! wrote:
I think so few people use optical out these days that a lot of motherboards have dropped it. IIRC it used to be more common around 10 years ago.
I'm not ditching my Logitech Z906 which I am currently driving with an optical cable. DD decoding FTW. But yes this is something that you have to research properly before buying. Lesson learned to OP: clearly list out what you have in terms of peripherals and what stuff you have plugged into your existing system. Figure out what needs to be kept and ask us then. :wink: We would be able to help if more details were given. Can you still return the motherboard? What alternative board can you get that has optical out? Is it even important?

mavrick211
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:34 pm

So back in the day everyone had a sound card is that the route I need to go for a decent sound

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:49 pm

mavrick211 wrote:
So back in the day everyone had a sound card is that the route I need to go for a decent sound

That "day" would be more than a decade ago. Most onboard solutions are now adequate for most uses. Your X570-P board is equipped with the Realtek S1200A which is not a low-end chipset. I lived with my onboard VT1828S for over 10 with mine.

Asus wrote:
Audio Feature :
- Audio Shielding: Ensures precision analog/digital separation and greatly reduced multi-lateral interference
- Dedicated audio PCB layers: Separate layers for left and right channels to guard the quality of the sensitive audio signals
- Premium Japanese-made audio capacitors: Provide warm, natural and immersive sound with exceptional clarity and fidelity

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:41 pm

With the ubiquity of USB3, even sound cards have moved outside the case.
https://www.newegg.com/creative-sound-b ... 6829102032

Yan
Gerbil XP

Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:41 pm

Flying Fox wrote:
I have trouble with this one as Microsoft's track record with updates over the past few years have been pretty bad. But you probably do want to pick up security updates over "major" updates like the "2004" feature update.

That's a good point, and I use Ask Woody for advice on when to install Windows's updates.

I'd also like to recommend a program that seems little known: Win Patrol. I find it indispensable to warn me about programs that want to start automatically or that want to install services that run automatically without asking me. It happens much more often than it should. :-( It seems that development is abandoned, but the program still works well.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:31 pm

Flying Fox wrote:
mavrick211 wrote:

That "day" would be more than a decade ago. Most onboard solutions are now adequate for most uses. Your X570-P board is equipped with the Realtek S1200A which is not a low-end chipset. I lived with my onboard VT1828S for over 10 with mine.

Yeah, onboard is generally fine these days. You may still get some interference when using the front panel jacks, but that's typically the fault of the case's front panel audio wiring harness, not the motherboard.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.