Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, JustAnEngineer

Lantly
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

First Time Building a PC - Blue Iris Server

Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:26 pm

Hello all,

I'm wanting to build my first PC which will be used as a server for running a home security cam system (Blue Iris). Windows is the only compatible OS with the software and I will need a license. I'm leaning towards Windows 10 Pro due to the enhanced security features it offers over the Home version.

An Intel CPU is required for the Cam software. According to a guide/table for recommended CPUs depending on the workload, for my workload of 2 or 3 8MP Cams @ 15FPS an Intel i5 3rd–7th gen is recommended. I'm thinking of getting the i5–10600 to give me some breathing room. Also this will be replacing my SO's PC which she very rarely uses. She really only uses a tablet, but perhaps once a month or so she uses MS Office to update her resume and I don't want the system to run out of juice in the instances in which she uses it, rare as they may be.

According to the user guide for the software it is recommended to to put your OS along with Blue Iris and a frequently accessed database for it on an NVME SSD that is 128G–512G, and use an HDD for the cam footage storage. For an HDD I'm leaning towards getting an 8TB Seagate Skyhawk AI instead of standard Skyhawk or WD purple because the workload rate of the AI's is 550TB/year whereas for standard Skyhawk and WD purple are only 180TB/year–360TB/year.

As for the rest of the parts, I'm not really picky, but my goal is keep power consumption as low as possible since the system will be running 24/7 and I live in an area where the energy costs are VERY high, double the rates of my grandparents who live 20 mins away. So I'm more than willing to spend more money on a part if it will cost less to run, as that will save me money over time.

Here's my parts list:

CPU: Intel Core i5-10600 3.3 GHz 6-Core Processor
Motherboard: ASRock H470 Phantom Gaming 4 ATX LGA1200 Motherboard
Memory: Crucial 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2666 CL19 Memory
Storage: Intel 760p Series 256 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Storage: Seagate Skyhawk AI 8 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Case: Fractal Design Focus G ATX Mid Tower Case
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD/CD Writer
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 32/64-bit
Wired Network Adapter: TP-Link TG-3468 PCIe x1 1000 Mbit/s Network Adapter
Power Supply: Seasonic Prime Fanless PX-450 80+ Platinum
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-11-26 19:17 EST-0500

Question: 
Could I get away with using the i5-10600 (T) variant for less power consumption?

Note:
• I will be running antivirus software.
• My router doesn't support VLANs so the NIC is so that I can isolate the cameras by having them on their own separate LAN (Dual-NIC setup). 
• I don't care about noise. The PC will be in the basement and I will be running cables straight up to the main floor.

Any advice and input is greatly appreciated!

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Re: First Time Building a PC - Blue Iris Server

Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:53 pm

Why a standalone network adapter versus using the onboard NIC? Regarding workloads for the drives, unless you're storing many streams of *high* bitrate video, any will do. Even 24 hours a day recording at 4 Mbps for 3 cameras is only ~130 GB per day - not even 50 TB per year (if you're running higher quality recordings obviously that'll change). Keep the drive cool and it'll last even longer. The NVMe drive is likely pretty overkill if you want to save a few bucks - even a decent SATA SSD is plenty for light duty like this.

EDIT: 8 MP cameras? If they're 4K you may find yourself light on encoding resources. What features of Blue Iris are you going to be utilizing?
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.

Lantly
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:23 pm

Waco wrote:
Why a standalone network adapter versus using the onboard NIC?

I read a guide on a forum dedicated to primarily BI systems that suggested basically doing this:
BI PC/Server will have on board and a PCI NIC.
The add on NIC will be connected to a POE switch which will then be connected to the IP cams. So PCI/PCIe NIC>-POE Switch>-IP Cams
The on board NIC will be connected to our router which will be connected to the other devices in our home.
This is so that the camera system will be on it's own network/separate NIC as a way to isolate the cam network since my router doesn't support VLANs. Internet will be disabled on the add in NIC.

OK, I'll switch the SSD to SATA to save some money, good tip.

As for features, I will be live viewing the 3 cam feeds often, via the BI PC connected to a display. Other than that, I can't think of anything else I'd be doing other than just basically letting them record. I won't ever be VPNing into the system or using remote desktop. Apparently using intel quicksync is recommended. Yes I will be using 4k cams.

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:28 pm

Physical separation of networks is a good idea for the minimal cost added.

Are you recording on demand via motion triggers or just recording 24/7? If recording 24/7, it might be worth looking into setting up an FTP server for the cameras to stream directly to, and then just indexing over them with Blue Iris (I'm not familiar with it but I think this is a feature it has) to trigger motion markers, alerts, etc. Remote viewing could be on-demand at that point.
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.

Lantly
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:43 pm

Waco wrote:
Are you recording on demand via motion triggers or just recording 24/7? If recording 24/7, it might be worth looking into setting up an FTP server for the cameras to stream directly to, and then just indexing over them with Blue Iris (I'm not familiar with it but I think this is a feature it has) to trigger motion markers, alerts, etc. Remote viewing could be on-demand at that point.

Completely forgot to mention motion sensor alerts. Yes I will be recording 24/7, but I intend to set up motion sensor alerts, so that if motion is detected I will receive an alert via the BI mobile app.

I'll have to look into possibly setting up an FTP server/what the benefits would be. This is all pretty new to me.