Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, JustAnEngineer

Sikthskies
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Random crashing on new build

Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:55 pm

Hello all!

I was hoping to gain from the combined wisdom here to try and solve an issue I'm having.

I have a new build (built in December last year) with a Ryzen 3600, 16gb RAM, wd blue sn550 1tb, 650w power supply from corsair (overkill but all i could get in a pinch) and a 5600XT.

I was previously having an issue with crashing with Steam open which was solved by telling windows how many cores to boot with, however I am still getting the occasional restart and the only error logs I'm seeing are power kernel.

I'm wondering whether this is either PSU or software related? I'll play on Iracing for hours at a time, then leave it for half an hour and it will have restarted.

I also tried to overclock the graphics card with its own overclocking software and that caused a crash.

Any ideas for how I can investigate this one?

K-L-Waster
Gerbil Elite

Re: Random crashing on new build

Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:02 pm

The first thing I would do is revert any overclocking you're doing -- you mention that you tried to OC the GPU, so I would reset that and also put the CPU back to stock. If you're having stability issues, attempting even a mild OC is a bad idea.

Do you have access to another PSU? (Borrow one from a friend or another system in the house for example.) If so, try swapping the PSU and see if you get the same issue.

I'd also try reseating the power connections to the motherboard as well as the GPU itself. This is literally just unplugging each item then plugging it back in to make sure that the contact is good. Sometimes a card or power cable may appear to be seated but may not have a solid connection.

Good luck -- hope you're able to solve it.
Main System: i7-8700K, ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-E, 16 GB DDR4 3200 RAM, ASUS 6800XT, 1 TB WD_Black SN750, Corsair 550D

HTPC: I5-4460, ASUS H97M-E, 8 GB RAM, GTX 970, CRUCIAL 256GB MX100, SILVERSTONE GD09B