Personal computing discussed

Moderator: JustAnEngineer

Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author
Posts: 1665
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2003 5:12 pm

Upgrade time? Pump up Skt 754 or no? Adivce please

Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:11 am

Okay - I just came across this deal and was wondering whether it is worth upgrading my processor.

NewEgg deal on A64 3700+

My existing config is in my sig below, and I will be carrying over ALL my parts, including the mobo. I do not know what the core is for my existing A64 - I bought it right after the A64 were released by AMD, back in November 2003 I believe.

SO - is it worth the upgrade? Or should I stick with what I have?

I am not going to switch to PCI-e any time soon. I just purchased the X800 AGP card, so I intend to use this system for two more years. My main purpose is to play games. I know a skt 939 system will serve me better. But that would mean getting a new mobo, processor and new graphics card - and expensive proposition.

And like I said, I am looking to stick with this system for couple more years. Spend most of my time playing GW, HL2, UT2K4 and Doom 3 - all play smoothly at 1920 x 1200 res on my LCD (except certain areas for D3 - but still playable overall). Of the upcoming announced games, the only one that remotely interests me is Supreme Commander (which I WILL purchase whenever it is released), but I do not know what specs it will require.

I can always sell my A64 3200+ to offset the cost. But my question is - is it worth the upgrade to a 3700+? Does AMD plan any more speed increases for the skt 754 platform - or is 3700 the max they will produce? If they plan to release something in the 4000-4500 range, then I will hold off till spring of next year and I can upgrade then. All my existing games play just fine.

Any advice or insight much appreciated.
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Elder
Posts: 5034
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2003 7:53 pm
Location: Zeeland, MI

Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:15 am

I wouldn't do it if I were you, save the money towards the future 939/PCI-E upgrade...
Gerbil God
Posts: 24502
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Soap Lake, Wa

Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:34 am

Ive got that cpu and it runs nip and tuck with the 939's....if youre wanting to save a few bucks it :wink:
Just an old sheepdog waiting for some nasty wolves to show...ive got more than enough teeth left.
Gerbil Jedi
Posts: 1883
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2004 2:28 pm
Location: Springfield, VA - USA

Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:36 am

I wouldn't upgrade to the 3700 if I were you. Just hold off for something more worthwhile.
Fold! And I don't mean your clothes!

Do you have a favorite gerbil recipe? Please share with the TR community!
Gerbil God
Posts: 21632
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: The Land of the Looney Lolcats

Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:42 am

No way. An Athlon 64 3200+ is more than capable of powering those games. Hell, an Athlon XP is still a fine gaming CPU. Save the cash.

As for future 754 CPUs, other than Sempron it isn't likely. Word is that AMD will release a Turion 4000+ in S754, but unknown if that will work with desktop boards at this point.
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author
Posts: 1665
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2003 5:12 pm

Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:47 am

Thanks guys - looks like I will save some money for later upgrade.
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God
Posts: 17168
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: The Heart of Dixie

Fri Aug 05, 2005 5:48 pm

Gandhi wrote:
Thanks guys - looks like I will save some money for later upgrade.
Good choice.

Even if you just wait 6 months and still make the same upgrade, you'll still be saving money by waiting.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests