Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, JustAnEngineer

VooBass
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Building super mail server, need advice

Fri Jul 07, 2006 3:18 am

I must preface this by saying I have little experience with server hardware or mail software so your patience is appreciated.

I host 100-120 domains in a shared virtual server set up with one of the large commercial hosting companies. I add two or three new companies per month. Email issues relating to blacklisting have been causing huge headaches because the mail server we share is frequently used by spammers with the result we get banned along with everyone else at the server's IP address.

Transferring all my clients to another server with the hope the new company will have less problems with blacklisting is likely a waste of a huge amount of time. Transferring 100+ domains/web sites is quite time consuming. And a short term solution at that.

So, from my limited knowledge, the solution is to set up my own mail server, at my own untainted dedicated IP address, have it managed and co-located with a reliable high speed connection provider. Then I'll update the MX record for each client, split the email services from the web services, and point their email addresses to the new server which hosts just my 'good guys'.

Does this sound like a reasonable strategy to staying off blacklists like Spamhaus, etc. and as well allow me much more configuration options for my clients like being able to white list specific addresses that my clients need mail from but would otherwise be blocked by a huge, inflexible hosting company?

I currently host 300-400 email boxes and a few hundred forwards. Hardware-wise, what would I need to provide super email performace? Are Seagate 15,000 rpm SCSI harddrives overkill for just email (and would a i-RAM-based memory storage solution be completely pointless for just email) and how about processor/memory options for truly speedy email service?

And then there's the software options. Does anyone have an opinion/experience with the various latest email administration tools? I'd like to be able to provide my clients 50MB email boxes minimum, with complete control over setting up there own autoresonders, online web mail, etc.

What other considerations should I be considering?

Thanks for your help!