Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, JustAnEngineer

yogibbear
Gerbil Elite

Re: Just built new PC, something not right. HELP!

Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:35 pm

-Find willing friend's PC
-Pull one of their RAM sticks
-Insert their RAM stick into your mobo (and pull yours)
-if everything works perfectly then your ram stick is dead.
Core i7 4770K | eVGA GTX1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | 16GB DDR3 2133mhz | Asus Z87-PLUS | Corsair HX650 | Fractal Define R4 | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | Windows 10 x64

futilerecordings
Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:42 pm

Starfalcon wrote:
You need to go in your bios and set it to boot from your CD before it trys to boot the hard drive.

Ok... well, I didn't do that the first time I ran the memtest. When I turn the PC on, it says boot menu - F12. When I do that, it gives me a list to choose what I want to boot from. I chose CD ROM. I ran the memtest 4.0 the first time and it came back fine, but I'd like to do the more recent one. So in BIOS, do I have to basically set the DVD drive to primary?

futilerecordings
Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:43 pm

yogibbear wrote:
-Find willing friend's PC
-Pull one of their RAM sticks
-Insert their RAM stick into your mobo (and pull yours)
-if everything works perfectly then your ram stick is dead.

Agree. I actually have a buddy who recently built a comparable PC (AMD Phenom) so perhaps that's what I'll do... IF he's willing.

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:09 am

There should be a boot order in the bios setting, you can pick the cd drive to boot before the hard drive and you will be all set.
Last edited by Starfalcon on Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

futilerecordings
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:32 pm

Starfalcon wrote:
There should be a bott order in the bios setting, you can pick the cd drivve to boot before the hard drive and you will be all set.

Yeah I did that... made no difference. It's weird, I had no problem running memtest when the HDD was installed. Since I removed it, I can't run it. I have a new HDD coming in a few days... if that sorts it out, great. If not, I spoke to a buddy who said he could help me out. He does this stuff for a living. Thanks for the help everyone, I'll let you know what happens w/ the new HDD.

RAMBO
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:33 pm

gbcrush wrote:
futilerecordings wrote:
Hey guys, thanks for the quick replies. Let me first state that I'm a complete noob with this stuff.... and I just want it to work. Thanks so much.

So the way Memtest works is like this

From a working computer:
1. You download memtest86+ (I prefer the latest, stable ISO)
2. Burn the ISO to a CD on the working computer.
3. Power on the PC in question and insert the CD.
4. Reboot.

How do I burn memtest as an ISO? I unzipped memtest and got mt420, a zip file, when I opened mt420 with winzip it shows boot CAT, MEMTEST.IMG and a read me file. Do I want to just burn mt420 to the disk or do I have to copy the files and then burn them to disk?

skialex25
Gerbil

Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:53 pm

Hey... I may have just missed an earlier post, but did you do anything to check wheter your CPU is overheating? I know it's been mentioned, but I do agree that your problems sound an awful lot liketemperature issues. Your computer WAS starting, so that would seem to indicate that the individual components were functioning. Let us know if you've done anything about checking the temps or if there's new insight in this regard.