Personal computing discussed

Moderator: JustAnEngineer

 
eliplan312
Gerbil
Topic Author
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 8:49 pm

Need advice on an upgrade

Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:02 pm

I've currently got:
- Core 2 Duo E6320 (at 2.9ghz)
- Biostar P43D3 (LGA775)
- Radeon HD 6870 (recently upgraded)
- 4GB DDR3 1600

I'm looking to upgrade the CPU, which would require upgrading the motherboard. Currently, I have in mind:
- i5 2300 ($180)
- Biostar TZ68K+ ($125)

I'm looking for something between $200 and $300, hopefully lower rather than higher.
 
JustAnEngineer
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God
Posts: 16848
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: The Heart of Dixie

Re: Need advice on an upgrade

Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:49 pm

Ivy bridge should arrive next month.

How'd you select that particular BioStar motherboard?
Cheaper BioStar:
$100 -15MIR + 190 -25 combo BioStar TZ68A+RCH and Intel Core i5-2380P (3.1 GHz quad-core, no IGP)
or $230 -20 combo Intel Core i5-2550K (3.4 GHz unlocked quad-core, no IGP)

Gigabyte:
$118 -10MIR + 220 -20 combo Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3 and Intel Core i5-2500K (3.3 GHz unlocked quad-core)
i7-6700K, NT06-Pro, GA-Z170N-Gaming5, 32 GiB, 980Ti, SM951, 5TB HDD, Blu-ray, FTZ01, SX600-G, 3007WFP+2001FP, RK-9000BR, MX518
 
eliplan312
Gerbil
Topic Author
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 8:49 pm

Re: Need advice on an upgrade

Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:21 pm

I just saw that the BioStar motherboard had ok ratings and was cheap, so I picked it. However, that bundle with the 2380P looks pretty appealing.

Should I wait for Ivy Bridge? I guess that the current gen will be discounted then...
 
DPete27
Gold subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Posts: 2511
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:50 pm
Location: Wisconsin, USA

Re: Need advice on an upgrade

Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:55 pm

Ivy Bridge pricing is slated to fall directly on top of Sandy Bridge for comparable processors (ie i5-2500K = i5-3570K). Chances are that Intel has dropped back on Sandy Bridge shipments to clear out inventory in preparation for Ivy Bridge. While Sandy Bridge prices may decline slightly, I would speculate that it won't be much. Waiting is your best option for either outcome here, its a win-win situation. If SB prices drop and you're ok with buying that, you win....if SB doesnt get cheaper, you can buy an IB CPU, you win. Its only a month or less.

Here is a review of the i5-3570K. Anandtech, has a i7-3770K review as well.
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, Asus GTX660 TOP, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests