Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, JustAnEngineer

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Re: Building new pc - personal office

Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:14 pm

Dual thread processors are still good for simple tasks, but I'll agree with JBI that they're now noticably slower than a quad with current software, unlike a few years ago when older software versions clearly weren't taking advantage of available cores/threads.

We have maybe 50 3Ghz dual-core Xeons left in the office and even the ancient 2.4GHz quads are starting to feel much quicker for basic things like booting up, word processing, internet and email.

If you're spending over $500, another 10% for something than can handle four threads is a worthwhile investment in my opinion.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

JdL
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:59 pm

DPete27 wrote:
JdL wrote:
RAM - 8 GB is ok, but 16 GB is better. If you can afford $40 more, I'd go for that instead.

I'd suggest you look at current RAM prices...

I did. The set he has listed is 8GB for $82. I recommended upping by $40 to $122 to get a basic 16GB set. Newegg has several options ranging from $120 to $135. Amazon has even more options.

PhilipMcc
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:26 pm

Order has been placed. It is pretty much the original order. Thanks, everyone for taking time to give feedback. Thanks JdL for the processor upgrade.

I did consider NUC and Brix.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:32 am

Which mouse did you pick?
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

The Egg
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:38 am

For just office work, I actually like the Logitech M510. It's simple, has a forward/back button, and it's fairly kind if you have big hands