Personal computing discussed

Moderator: JustAnEngineer

 
vargis14
Gerbil Jedi
Posts: 1883
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:03 pm
Location: philly suburbs

Re: Which components should I get for my build?

Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:45 pm

I would Highly suggest you just get the FX8320 since it ios cheaper and I have not seen one that will not overclock to a FX8350's speed. Also I highly suggest you get a Aftermarket CPU cooler like the CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO for $34 that has a 5 star rating with over 2600 newegg reviews. Also you can add a additional 120mm fan for push pull operation that will allow for better cooling at high fan speeds for max cooling....or low rpm quiet fan speeds if fan noise bothers you 2 120mm fans at low RPM's like 800rpm will cool better then a single fan at 1200rpm thus cooling the same with less noise. It also come with the fan bracket for the extra fan you must provide.
Cooler link http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product

As for a PSU I would go with Corsairs CX750 watt PSU that has a nice overhead of voltage since your CPU when overclocked can pull 200+ watts on its own with a crazy 4.7GHZ oc along with that asus motherboard being SLI and Crossfire Capable with the Corsair CX750 on sale now at $59.99 after $20.00 rebate card and having all its power on one 12volt rail rated @62Amps you would be hard pressed to find another PSU with that kinda power on a single 12 volt rail for that low of a price.
Also I do not care what anyone says I would rather have plenty of extra voltage in case I need it down the road + I believe PSU's last longer the less they are stressed. PSU link with $20 rebate card http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817139040

Just like when I built my signature 2600k gaming rig before I got my power hungry EVGA GTX770 4gb classified cards in SLI that need 2 8 pin power connectors for each card I had 2 EVGA GTX 560 TI cards in SLI that used a good deal less then my new 770's but I powered my system well over 3 years ago with a 850 watt corsair TX850 with a 72 amp 12 volt rail that got glowing reviews on johnyGURU when a 650 watt PSU would have worked fine and I am sure glad I did go for 850 watts since with all the overclocks on my CPU, Video cards, 8 120mm fans, 1 200mm fan, a SSD, 5xHDDs and all the USB stuff all over the place
2600k@4848mhz @1.4v CM Nepton40XL 16gb Ram 2x EVGA GTX770 4gb Classified cards in SLI@1280mhz Stock boost on a GAP67-UD4-B3, SBlaster Z powered by TX-850 PSU pushing a 34" LG 21/9 3440-1440 IPS panel. Pieced together 2.1 sound system
 
Krosis
Gerbil
Topic Author
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:33 pm

Re: Which components should I get for my build?

Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:17 pm

vargis14 wrote:
I would Highly suggest you just get the FX8320 since it ios cheaper and I have not seen one that will not overclock to a FX8350's speed. Also I highly suggest you get a Aftermarket CPU cooler like the CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO for $34 that has a 5 star rating with over 2600 newegg reviews. Also you can add a additional 120mm fan for push pull operation that will allow for better cooling at high fan speeds for max cooling....or low rpm quiet fan speeds if fan noise bothers you 2 120mm fans at low RPM's like 800rpm will cool better then a single fan at 1200rpm thus cooling the same with less noise. It also come with the fan bracket for the extra fan you must provide.
Cooler link http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product

As for a PSU I would go with Corsairs CX750 watt PSU that has a nice overhead of voltage since your CPU when overclocked can pull 200+ watts on its own with a crazy 4.7GHZ oc along with that asus motherboard being SLI and Crossfire Capable with the Corsair CX750 on sale now at $59.99 after $20.00 rebate card and having all its power on one 12volt rail rated @62Amps you would be hard pressed to find another PSU with that kinda power on a single 12 volt rail for that low of a price.
Also I do not care what anyone says I would rather have plenty of extra voltage in case I need it down the road + I believe PSU's last longer the less they are stressed. PSU link with $20 rebate card http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817139040

Just like when I built my signature 2600k gaming rig before I got my power hungry EVGA GTX770 4gb classified cards in SLI that need 2 8 pin power connectors for each card I had 2 EVGA GTX 560 TI cards in SLI that used a good deal less then my new 770's but I powered my system well over 3 years ago with a 850 watt corsair TX850 with a 72 amp 12 volt rail that got glowing reviews on johnyGURU when a 650 watt PSU would have worked fine and I am sure glad I did go for 850 watts since with all the overclocks on my CPU, Video cards, 8 120mm fans, 1 200mm fan, a SSD, 5xHDDs and all the USB stuff all over the place


Thank you for the advice, my PC is almost complete, I just need a case.
 
JustAnEngineer
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God
Posts: 16898
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: The Heart of Dixie

Re: I need opinions for this PC.

Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:49 pm

Duplicate threads merged.

My suggestions for your build were included in a previous post.

--JustAnEngineer, SBA forum moderator
i7-6700K, NT06-Pro, GA-Z170N-Gaming5, 32 GiB, 980Ti, SM951, 5TB HDD, Blu-ray, FTZ01, SX600-G, 3007WFP+2001FP, RK-9000BR, MX518
 
Krosis
Gerbil
Topic Author
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:33 pm

Re: I need opinions for this PC.

Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:08 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:
Duplicate threads merged.

My suggestions for your build were included in a previous post.

--JustAnEngineer, SBA forum moderator


Right, could you tell me if this would work?

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8Gb DDR3
Motherboard: ASUS M5A97 R2.0
Graphics card: AMD Radeon R9 270X
PSU: Corsair CX600 600w
HDD: 2TB
CPU: AMD Radeon FX-8320 8-Core
Case: Corsair 300r Carbide
 
Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Posts: 24073
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Vermont, USA

Re: I need opinions for this PC.

Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:15 pm

That'll work, but in this day & age you'll want an SSD for the OS and some games.

I'd also swap out the PSU for a Corsair CX600m.

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/cx-series- ... odular-psu

If you've never used a modular PSU you have no idea what you're missing.
And then of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left hand side.
 
Krosis
Gerbil
Topic Author
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:33 pm

Re: I need opinions for this PC.

Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:25 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
That'll work, but in this day & age you'll want an SSD for the OS and some games.

I'd also swap out the PSU for a Corsair CX600m.

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/cx-series- ... odular-psu

If you've never used a modular PSU you have no idea what you're missing.


Seems pretty good, thanks.
 
geekl33tgamer
Graphmaster Gerbil
Posts: 1008
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:25 pm
Location: England
Contact:

Re: I need opinions for this PC.

Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:28 am

Got any budget left to add a small SSD? Installing Windows to it along with commonly used programs makes things a lot faster. Something like this will be good enough:
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showprodu ... ubcat=1427
Mega Beast - Intel i7 4790K | Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H-BK | 16GB DDR3 | SLI GTX 970 | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Mini Beast - Intel C2E QX9770 | Gigabyte X48T-DQ6 | 16GB DDR3 | KFA2 LP GTX 750Ti | Seagate 2TB SSHD
 
LostCat
Graphmaster Gerbil
Posts: 1229
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:18 am
Location: The red forest

Re: I need opinions for this PC.

Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:23 am

Captain Ned wrote:
If you've never used a modular PSU you have no idea what you're missing.

I just switched to a regular one after the fan failed on my modular. I don't feel any huge loss.

(Mind you this is with a case with the PSU on the bottom.)
Lost Cat may or may not have slept recently. Who can say?
 
Flying Fox
Gerbil God
Posts: 25121
Joined: Mon May 24, 2004 2:19 am
Contact:

Re: I need opinions for this PC.

Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:26 pm

I am still confused as to whether there is any component that the OP already has in his possession? Like the motherboard? I think the sentiment earlier in the thread is that if you are starting from scratch, should go straight to some variant of i5 with a matching chipset (Z97 if you are getting a K CPU)? So which is it OP, do you have the motherboard already or are you buying everything new?
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.
 
superjawes
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi
Posts: 1530
Joined: Thu May 28, 2009 9:49 am

Re: I need opinions for this PC.

Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:43 pm

Flying Fox wrote:
I am still confused as to whether there is any component that the OP already has in his possession? Like the motherboard? I think the sentiment earlier in the thread is that if you are starting from scratch, should go straight to some variant of i5 with a matching chipset (Z97 if you are getting a K CPU)? So which is it OP, do you have the motherboard already or are you buying everything new?


Krosis wrote:
I have not built the PC yet, I just need to buy my last parts which are the CPU, PSU and case.


Sounds like pretty much everything is locked in place.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. Tis a silly place.
 
BlackDove
Gerbil Elite
Posts: 694
Joined: Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:41 pm

Re: I need opinions for this PC.

Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:30 pm

Id definitely listen to the people giving you good advice about getting an Intel CPU over the ancient and inefficient two core per module AMD architecture CPU.

Most Corsair PSUs are rebranded CWT trash and i dont know why theyre so popular. Just get a Seasonic or Antec(which will be a Seasonic or Delta rebrand).

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest