Personal computing discussed

Moderator: Hoser

seankay
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

PureVPN Halloween Deal: 2 Years in $60

Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:15 am

Just found it out and seemed interesting to me. Here's the link: https://www.purevpn.com/halloween
No coupon codes required and it certainly seems to be for a limited time period!

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Re: PureVPN Halloween Deal: 2 Years in $60

Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:09 am

Cheap as that is, they're pretty poorly rated by VPN Comparison.

Biggest one for me is the lack of support for OpenVPN; this is something that I'd use with a router, if the need arose.

Course, I'm up for learning more. Just started back at school this semester and felt that roaming constantly on their open WiFi is a bit of a security concern!
Canon 6D|24-105/4L |70-300/4-5.6 IS USM|50/1.4 USM|50/2.5 CM|50/1.8 STM|85/1.8 USM|Samyang/Bower 14/2.8|24/2.8 IS|Sigma 150-600 | C
Canon EOS-M|11-22 IS|22/2|EF-M 18-55

seankay
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:27 am

I would disagree because the link you shared doesn't seem to be a sound one. You will find a lot of sites where it will have more ratings. It is all a money game with such sites. Better check the ratings out of trustpilot (which is at least made by the users): https://www.trustpilot.com/review/purevpn.com

I personally use it for around 2 to 3 months now and it is pretty decent (as good as top ones, if not better)!
Plus, they do have setups for OpenVPN I guess cause I use their app personally on my system. Correct me if I am wrong!
P.S. Too Many Bad Comments didn't seems to persuasive in the link you shared! 

DoomGuy64
Gerbil

Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:36 am

Last year I got a lifetime membership vpn for less than $50. There's better deals out there. Also Opera Max works as a free vpn and data compression for your mobile device.

seankay
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:08 am

DoomGuy64 wrote:
Last year I got a lifetime membership vpn for less than $50. There's better deals out there. Also Opera Max works as a free vpn and data compression for your mobile device.

Yeah i heard about that lifetime deal, but I missed it. I personally don't prefer going for the free ones after the revealing of hola, which is why this seemed interesting to me!

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:55 am

The other thing you've gotta be wary of with "lifetime" deals is that it isn't your lifetime they're referring to; it is the lifetime of the service. The company could fold a year or two down the road, or simply declare the service you purchased to be EOL and no longer supported. Unless the service is backed by an established, reputable company a "lifetime" deal may not be a good deal at all! (With an established company, at least they've got a reputation to protect, and a legal entity people can potentially go after if they renege on the deal after an unreasonably short period of time.)
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

chµck
Gerbil Team Leader

Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:21 am

This PureVPN deal actually looks pretty solid.
I personally use torguard and like them. They're well established and have been around for years. Support OpenVPN on DDWRT routers too.
They have good speed even with encryption on (saturates my wifi card):
$30/yr with code TGlifetime50 (shameless affiliate link)
7-day trial period with 100% refund (unless you use more than 10GB of data)
Trump 2020

seankay
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:41 pm

just brew it! wrote:
The other thing you've gotta be wary of with "lifetime" deals is that it isn't your lifetime they're referring to; it is the lifetime of the service. The company could fold a year or two down the road, or simply declare the service you purchased to be EOL and no longer supported. Unless the service is backed by an established, reputable company a "lifetime" deal may not be a good deal at all! (With an established company, at least they've got a reputation to protect, and a legal entity people can potentially go after if they renege on the deal after an unreasonably short period of time.)

Thanks for this info. I now kinda agree with you which is why I prefer to get anything from the manufacturers directly. Never went for anything affiliate related myself!

DrCR
Gerbil Team Leader

Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:39 am

DoomGuy64 wrote:
Also Opera Max works as a free vpn and data compression for your mobile device.

But then you're just letting SurfEasy / Opera accumulate info on everything you do.
I'd be more focused on the company than the price.
(I don't know much about SurfEasy's track record nor what Opera has done with them. My point though is often in life we get what we pay for.)

seankay
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:16 am

DrCR wrote:
DoomGuy64 wrote:
Also Opera Max works as a free vpn and data compression for your mobile device.

But then you're just letting SurfEasy / Opera accumulate info on everything you do.
I'd be more focused on the company than the price.
(I don't know much about SurfEasy's track record nor what Opera has done with them. My point though is often in life we get what we pay for.)

This is exactly why I prefer going for the paid ones! It is better to give some money rather than God Knows what to save a few bucks.

Alexis07
Gerbil In Training

Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:34 am

Did you buy purevpn and how is your expirience? is it good for streaming?