Personal computing discussed

Moderator: Hoser

 
tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author
Posts: 9165
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Georgia

PSA: Neverwinter Nights Diamond

Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:41 am

IT'S FREE ON GOG.COM until 3 DEC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GO GRAB IT!
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!
 
whm1974
Gerbil Elder
Posts: 5761
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:29 am

Re: PSA: Neverwinter Nights Diamond

Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:48 pm

I just picked up my copy yesterday. After messing with a few settings it works great in Wine. 
 
Chuckaluphagus
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Elite
Posts: 836
Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:29 pm
Location: Boston area, MA

Re: PSA: Neverwinter Nights Diamond

Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:19 pm

whm1974 wrote:
I just picked up my copy yesterday. After messing with a few settings it works great in Wine. 

No need for WINE - official Linux executables were made available, they were just never included for distribution (for whatever reason). They just need to be downloaded and setup. Easiest set of instructions and links are here. That's what I used, worked great.
 
whm1974
Gerbil Elder
Posts: 5761
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:29 am

Re: PSA: Neverwinter Nights Diamond

Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:58 pm

Chuckaluphagus wrote:
whm1974 wrote:
I just picked up my copy yesterday. After messing with a few settings it works great in Wine. 

No need for WINE - official Linux executables were made available, they were just never included for distribution (for whatever reason).  They just need to be downloaded and setup.  Easiest set of instructions and links are here.  That's what I used, worked great.

Didn't know that the Linux executables were still around. They are still being updated?
 
Chuckaluphagus
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Elite
Posts: 836
Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:29 pm
Location: Boston area, MA

Re: PSA: Neverwinter Nights Diamond

Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:54 pm

whm1974 wrote:
Chuckaluphagus wrote:
whm1974 wrote:
I just picked up my copy yesterday. After messing with a few settings it works great in Wine. 

No need for WINE - official Linux executables were made available, they were just never included for distribution (for whatever reason).  They just need to be downloaded and setup.  Easiest set of instructions and links are here.  That's what I used, worked great.

Didn't know that the Linux executables were still around. They are still being updated?

No, they were produced about 10 years ago, but they're current as to the GOG version of the game and work fine for local and online play, as well as custom modules (can't absolutely confirm that last one; there's always the possibility someone will produce something really weird).
 
DrDominodog51
Gerbil Elite
Posts: 696
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:23 pm
Location: Silicon Valley

Re: PSA: Neverwinter Nights Diamond

Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:34 pm

I have no clue what game this is, but I picked it up anyway. 8) Thanks.
"Look real close cause strobe lights lie" -Anonymous
 
tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author
Posts: 9165
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Georgia

Re: PSA: Neverwinter Nights Diamond

Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:08 pm

DrDominodog51 wrote:
I have no clue what game this is, but I picked it up anyway. 8) Thanks.


????? Where you born after 2002?

:o
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!
 
DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil
Posts: 4115
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:21 pm
Location: Kansas

Re: PSA: Neverwinter Nights Diamond

Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:09 pm

Oh come on. Neverwinter Nights wasn't THAT big. Especially if you weren't heavily into PC gaming.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100
 
tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author
Posts: 9165
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Georgia

Re: PSA: Neverwinter Nights Diamond

Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:54 pm

It was pretty big. Especially if you were a D&D pen and paper player. (Which I was at the time. Had a regular group, still do in fact) Heck is won all kinds of awards that year too.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!
 
DrDominodog51
Gerbil Elite
Posts: 696
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:23 pm
Location: Silicon Valley

Re: PSA: Neverwinter Nights Diamond

Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:57 pm

tanker27 wrote:
DrDominodog51 wrote:
I have no clue what game this is, but I picked it up anyway. 8) Thanks.


????? Where you born after 2002?

:o

I would have been 12 in late 2002, and I gamed on an Xbox back then.
"Look real close cause strobe lights lie" -Anonymous
 
derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God
Posts: 24714
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2003 9:13 pm
Location: Comin' to you directly from the Mothership

Re: PSA: Neverwinter Nights Diamond

Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:01 pm

Neverwinter Nights is really, really good, even if it's a tad dated. Definitely worth spending time to go through. It's kind of the evolution of something people who were born in 1990 would never understand, though. Baldur's Gate -> Icewind Dale -> (some other stuff) -> NWN.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
 
jihadjoe
Gerbil Elite
Posts: 701
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:34 am

Re: PSA: Neverwinter Nights Diamond

Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:27 pm

NWN was also one of (if not the first) PC game to implement D&D's 8th level and above spells. Hype!
 
whm1974
Gerbil Elder
Posts: 5761
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:29 am

Re: PSA: Neverwinter Nights Diamond

Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:08 pm

Chuckaluphagus wrote:
whm1974 wrote:
Chuckaluphagus wrote:
No need for WINE - official Linux executables were made available, they were just never included for distribution (for whatever reason).  They just need to be downloaded and setup.  Easiest set of instructions and links are here.  That's what I used, worked great.

Didn't know that the Linux executables were still around. They are still being updated?

No, they were produced about 10 years ago, but they're current as to the GOG version of the game and work fine for local and online play, as well as custom modules (can't absolutely confirm that last one; there's always the possibility someone will produce something really weird).

Well I already have the Windows version installed, but it is nice to know the Linux binaries still work.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest