Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

blahsaysblah
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Silicon Lottery Ryzen sale

Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:30 am

It seems there just wasnt much demand in Ryzen vs Intel side of business. It seems they are doing a quite/small fire sale of Ryzen inventory.

Ryzen 1600X 3.9Ghz - $200 vs $240 on Newegg, $230 Amazon.
Ryzen 1600X 4.0Ghz - $240 Out of Stock
Ryzen 1800X 3.9Ghz - $390 Out of Stock
Ryzen 1800X 4.0Ghz - $430 vs $460 on Newegg, $420 Amazon.

everything else out of stock.

link
We are re-evaluating our Ryzen lineup in general, it's been pushed back from the rush of the Skylake-X launch.

Demand for Ryzen is pretty low for us compared to other products we offer. I assume those looking to pay premiums for binned chips are more likely to go for Intel's offerings in the first place, which makes sense. We may bring back the 1600X/1800X and just keep those available as low volume products.

I'm thinking threadripper will be a big hit for us though, so a lot of our AMD focus is going to be there for the foreseeable future.

DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Re: Silicon Lottery Ryzen sale

Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:39 pm

AMD chips in general seem like they'd be a poor business idea since they're soldered. The only thing SL can do with them is buy a lot and bin them out. Considering how small the differences are between "most" chips these days, it doesn't sound very profitable.

At least with Intel chips, SL can de-lid them to reduce temps, which is a value add.
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod

blahsaysblah
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:49 pm

Recent post said they only delid after they bin(actually it was optional before, but almost everyone choose it). And its only for a few secs to see they don't have any issues. Which makes sense, as whoever gets the non-OC-able CPUs would want the Intel warranty intact.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:40 am

The limiting factor on Ryzen overclocking was never heat or power consumption, so delidded Ryzen processors makes zero sense.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

chuckula
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:53 am

I would bin Ryzens based on whether or not they trigger the GCC bug.
4770K @ 4.7 GHz; 32GB DDR3-2133; Officially RX-560... that's right AMD you shills!; 512GB 840 Pro (2x); Fractal Define XL-R2; NZXT Kraken-X60
--Many thanks to the TR Forum for advice in getting it built.

blahsaysblah
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:03 pm

Silicon Lottery bins chips. Deliding is a bonus they do after they bin chips(so they can sell failed bins with Intel warranty intact to retailers).

(this is just fyi for anyone interested in buying, since ive already done research, not trying to have debate in Hot Deals thread)

edit:
source:
Silicon Lottery wrote:
after the delid is the cpu tested before its sent out?

Yes, but usually just a few seconds to make core temperatures look approximately what they should. Why do you ask?

Granted, maybe this is before they made some changes recently, like including delidding as standard, so maybe they do further tests afterward.
source, 8/20
Silicon Lottery wrote:
Darkwizzie wrote:
I actually bought the largest tube of Conductonaut to delid myself in the future... frown.gif

The downside for us is that the cost of delidding is factored into the purchase whether we like it or not. The difference between now and 2 years ago is that delidding kits are now the norm. In the days where most people had to use a razor blade things were riskier. On the other hand for the purposes of binning there is more than one reason why including delidding could make sense from the seller's perspective.

It's a little vague what stress test is actually being used now from reading the site on a page like this (https://siliconlottery.com/collections/ ... s/7700k52g).

So compared to the past that 5.2ghz binned chip is like 5.15? 5.25? of the old times?

Even with the presence of delid tools during Kaby Lake, the vast majority of processors sold were delidded. Since delidding helps some chips a lot, and others not so much, it helps us nail down some more exact results by testing after delidding.

For another perspective from our side, I've had three customers return broken 7700Ks this year from failed delid attempts. One was a razor scratch, one was a complete demolish from a vice, and one person put the CPU in the wrong orientation in the rocket delid tool and tore off bottom components. I have to then fight disputes with customers wanting refunds when clearly they violated our warranty terms.

We are using a wide variety of stress tests (including P95, LinX, and the likes) along with leaving in some headroom. Processors should successfully run any software used. A 5.2GHz chip now is somewhat comparable to a 5.15-5.225GHz chip of the past. It's not exactly a 1:1 comparison scenario, since across many stress tests processors bin differently than just an hour of Realbench. (One processor might be really good at Realbench, but bad at P95 for example.)