Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

toki
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Unsure of what to do with Ebay

Sat May 05, 2018 10:49 am

I wasn't exactly sure where to post this so you can move it to the correct forums if need be. I have been selling items on ebay for a minute now and I just had an item purchased by a hacked account. The original owner just sent me a message so I contacted ebay. The representative said that it wasn't my problem because I had already sent the item promptly. Now here is where my concern comes in. If the account was hacked and I sent my item out already then that means that this hacker has my address and I am a little scared by this. I am unsure of what to do at this point. If they have my address that means they could target me and I want to do everything that I can to protect myself from any of that. I just want to be able to do everything on the up and up with no problems.

meerkt
Gerbil Jedi

Re: Unsure of what to do with Ebay

Sat May 05, 2018 11:05 am

Target you how?

clocks
Gerbil

Sat May 05, 2018 11:06 am

Your address is probably easily found with a google search, among loads of other data on you. I would not lose any sleep over an ebay hacker.

chuckula
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sat May 05, 2018 11:18 am

While this isn't directly related to the hacker who ordered the product, having an eBay password that is different from passwords you use on other sites is always a good idea.
4770K @ 4.7 GHz; 32GB DDR3-2133; Officially RX-560... that's right AMD you shills!; 512GB 840 Pro (2x); Fractal Define XL-R2; NZXT Kraken-X60
--Many thanks to the TR Forum for advice in getting it built.

uni-mitation
Gerbil XP

Sat May 05, 2018 1:08 pm

toki wrote:
I wasn't exactly sure where to post this so you can move it to the correct forums if need be. I have been selling items on ebay for a minute now and I just had an item purchased by a hacked account. The original owner just sent me a message so I contacted ebay. The representative said that it wasn't my problem because I had already sent the item promptly. Now here is where my concern comes in. If the account was hacked and I sent my item out already then that means that this hacker has my address and I am a little scared by this. I am unsure of what to do at this point. If they have my address that means they could target me and I want to do everything that I can to protect myself from any of that. I just want to be able to do everything on the up and up with no problems.

1- It is not about being impervious to hacking, it is about NOT being the lowest hanging fruit or basically, the lame zebra that gets eaten by lions.

2- Take common sense precautions like never re-using passwords, using long-but-easy-to-remember passwords with misspelled words like "I_hart_meToo4YU#"

3- If you file taxes, then request the IRS issue you an IP pin for when you file your taxes.

4- Request a credit report, and place a credit freeze if you believe to be a victim of identity theft. Look for any suspicious credit inquiries, or accounts that you don't recognize.

4.5- Familiarize yourself with the Fair Credit Reporting Act. Of special note are sections 611 & 605. Those entities that furnish such information to the credit bureaus have a duty to furnish reliable, accurate information on you, and you have the chance to dispute any adverse information on that if you have been a victim of identity theft.

5- Keep your operating system up-to-date, and don't click on e-mails from sources unknown, etc.

5.1- Keep up to date with tech news from TR about the latest scary new ghosts & meltdowns discovered. Learn about Heartbleed, about keeping your browser up-to-date, and don't ever visit a site with a revoked SSL certificate>>> I use Firefox and it works for me.

6- Don't worry about your address because it is very easy to find that unless you know how to hide your trail. Skip tracers do this for a living, and humans are creatures of habit.

7- Meanwhile you present not so an easy target, then they will simply hack someone that is a much easier mark.

7.1- Better jackpot marks are large repositories of collected data sitting on government servers with ancient security protocols & standards, or Credit Bureaus, or your favorite bank because an ill-trained desk-jockey is more likely to click on that email from a whitehouse.org domain :D and compromise the whole network.

8- Take a chill pill, and get some perspective on it. There are things that are beyond your control, and that's fine.

uni-mitation

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Sat May 05, 2018 2:15 pm

toki wrote:

It's likely the only thing the hacker wanted was goods they could steal without actually paying for them. You, at a personal level, are completely irrelevant. Just don't do something to escalate the situation, like photocopy your butt and mail it to the same address where the package is headed.

Which brings up a point, how DID they pay before you shipped? Did the hacked account owner have their PayPal set to auto-loggin from eBay? I've deliberately unlinked my PayPal account from eBay and it annoys me to death that eBay and PayPal offer to "remember it for next time" whenever I pay for something. No, I don't want it remembered, and this kind of thing is exactly why.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

meerkt
Gerbil Jedi

Sat May 05, 2018 6:04 pm

ludi wrote:
it annoys me to death that eBay and PayPal offer to "remember it for next time" whenever I pay for something. No, I don't want it remembered

At least eBay stopped forcing you to login to PayPal through their site. At first you could dodge it by clicking "open PayPal in new window". Then they removed it and you had to feed the PayPal login details into practically ebay.com. Now it's back to actual paypal.com for login.