Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

shaq_mobile
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

32GK650F-B $300

Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:32 pm

Amazon has this for $350 but Microcenter has it for $300...
https://www.microcenter.com/product/510 ... ED_Monitor

It seems like a screaming deal...

DragonDaddyBear
Gerbil Elite

Re: 32GK650F-B $300

Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:14 pm

I'd be all over that if it were curved.

The Egg
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:20 pm

Geez. Looks like almost the same thing as my Samsung C32GH70 for over $200 less.

DragonDaddyBear
Gerbil Elite

Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:32 pm

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/lg_32gk850g.htm
Is that the G-Sync version of it? If so then I imagine this version is very similar. It looks like a good value.

shaq_mobile
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:28 pm

They both appear to have the same panel (M315DVR01)
So yeah, it looks like its literally just the Gsync and may be a few other features different.
5ms response seems highish, but IIRC those response times are common to fudge anyway, right? Is 5ms too high for gaming?

I use 32" flat panels at work and theyre fine. Theyre about as big as youd want to go before curve, but a curved 32" might feel awkward.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:04 pm

The quoted 5ms is a useless value.

It's going to be typical VA performance, in that you'll get as fast or faster transitions than most IPS panels, with the exception of pure black to dark colours.

Typically, you won't actually see that problem manifest, because human vision notices motion through contrast, and black-to-dark isn't something that your attention will be drawn to. Even so, synthetic tests can really highlight the issue (testufo.com) and if you are looking for it, anything that's moving with a black outline will have a fatter outline at the rear than it does at the front.

Even in testufo synthetic examples though, the unavoidable sample-and-hold blur is still a bigger and more obvious visual artifact than VA's dark trail - and you won't get rid of that without strobing tech.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

shaq_mobile
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:04 pm

Cool, that's what I kind of figured. Everytime I read in-depth reviews and response comes up, it doesn't really seem to be a big issue. I think it was more a concern in the early LCD era/mid-late oughts. I have only noticed it on TV displays when I've commandeered them for monitors.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:00 pm

I've never used a VA panel from LG before but the TFTCentral test of response times looks no different to other decent VA panels. LG don't make VA panels that I'm aware of, so they've likely bought this from either AUO or Samsung.

One thing to note about VA panels is that you don't have to choose between the characteristics of IPS or VA. If you increase the black level in your GPU's driver control panel (say, 5% more brightness, 10% less contrast) you effectively eliminate the range in which VA panels are slow, with the only downsides being that your black level is higher and your contrast ratio is a lower.

So, exactly like a fast IPS gaming panel, but because it's still VA technology there's none of that horrible IPS corner glow. Not that I do that; Neither of my VA panels are slow enough to merit giving up the great black levels.

It's a win-win for VA as a gamer. Professional artists looking for calibrated delta-E values of <1.0 from a wide viewing angle are the only people who should be looking elsewhere.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.