Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Thresher

uncle_enzo
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

RAID utility does not show in post.

Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:24 pm

I have an Asus P8Z68-V/GEN3 motherboard. I have a 500GB crucial MX200 SSD with Windows 8.1 installed. I added another 500GB Crucial MX200 SSD the other day. I want to create RAID 0, I know this is scary RAID and accept the risk. I have them connected to the 6GB SATA ports. When I enable RAID in the advanced --> SATA mode screen, the raid utility does not show during post. I don't see press CTRL + I. I do see the RAID option rom enabled in the BIOS. Anyone know what else I can try?

Bryan

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Re: RAID utility does not show in post.

Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:53 am

You're probably better off leaving it in AHCI mode and striping it (RAID0) in Windows/Linux.

Intel onboard RAID is software RAID anyway, so you don't really gain anything by using the Intel driver instead of your operating system. Leaving AHCI mode is a bigger penalty anyway, depends on the driver/chipset age but I'm not even sure if Z68 supports TRIM in RAID mode yet. It only came about for current chipsets in the last year or two.

If you really want to stripe your SSDs using the PCH, keep poking in the BIOS - it'll be something in there somewhere that's preventing the prompt (reset CMOS if necessary).
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:03 am

Does the BIOS even see the second drive?
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

uncle_enzo
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:19 am

I spent more time last night messing with every bios setting trying to get the CTRL + I to show during post. BIOS sees both drives as well as the OS. I even reinstalled windows with the BIOS set to raid mode in the SATA settings. In the BIOS I do see the RAID option rom enabled. At this point I going to abandon trying to setup raid 0. Thanks for replying to my post.

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:30 am

Did you try pressing Ctrl-I even though the message does not display? Just start pressing Ctrl-I repeatedly as soon as you apply power.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

uncle_enzo
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:20 am

Yes, I tried pressing it.

biffzinker
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:21 pm

Turning on CSM (legacy bios emulation) in the EFI on my Asrock Z97 Pro3 showed the RAID utility during boot. With CSM disabled nothing showed on boot.
It would take you 2,363 continuous hours or 98 days,11 hours, and 35 minutes of gameplay to complete your Steam library.
In this time you could travel to Venus one time.

uncle_enzo
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:39 pm

Interesting, I did not see this setting in the motherboard manual. I will take another look. Is their any down side to this?

biffzinker
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:15 pm

The only downside would be it taking longer for the board to run through Power On Self Test (initialize.) With CSM disabled the only gotcha would be if you were to try boot a legacy operating system for example Windows XP.
Last edited by biffzinker on Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It would take you 2,363 continuous hours or 98 days,11 hours, and 35 minutes of gameplay to complete your Steam library.
In this time you could travel to Venus one time.

divide_by_zero
Gerbil First Class

Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:29 pm

Might be too late here as it sounds like you're going to go in another direction. In any case:

I've hit this issue before. It's usually due to insufficient resources to load the option ROM.

You can try disabling other devices in BIOS (If this board has additional unused JMicron or ASMedia SATA ports, those would be my first choice). Removing any NICs that support PXE boot or disabling PXE network functionality in the BIOS would be worth trying also.

And of course if you haven't already done so, a BIOS update is worth a try.

frumper15
Gerbil XP

Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:37 pm

I can't tell if you've got it figured out or not, but if your chipset controller is in RAID mode and you're able to boot into windows, you should be able to use the Intel Rapid Storage utility (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/search ... %AE+RST%29 ) in windows to add the second drive and create a RAID0 array. You'll have to use diskmgr to expand or create another partition. It's been a while since I've used it, but I was able to create both 2 and 3 drive RAID0 as well as 3 drive RAID5 a few years back but I'm pretty sure the functionality still exists.

Now, you couldn't create Matrix RAID arrays where you would have say, half the capacity as RAID0 and the other RAID1 on the same two drives - I had to use the BIOS utility to do that for some reason.
i7-8086K | Z370 AORUS GAMING WIFI | 32GB DDR4-2400 | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti | 512GB 960 Pro | 27" Dell 2560x1440 Gsync | Fractal R6 | Seasonic Focus Plus 850W | Win10 Pro x64.