Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Thresher

jpardi
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Dead PC

Sat Jun 13, 2015 3:54 pm

I upgraded my motherboard, CPU, and RAM to the following:
- ASUS CROSSBLADE RANGER FM2+ AMD A88X
- AMD A10-7850K Kaveri 12 Compute Cores (4 CPU + 8 GPU) 3.7GHz Socket FM2+ 95W AD785KXBJABOX Desktop Processor AMD Radeon R7 series
- G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2400 (PC3 19200)

After install and reboot, the BIOS reported that the CPU fan was in error, so I re-seated the CPU fan and restarted.
After reboot, the monitor no longer displayed (no signal) and the mobo reported an error code on the board.
I re-seated the CPU and fan again and the error code went away, but the display still would not go on (power ok but no signal).

I figured I'd do some searching on the internet to see what it might be. After about 15 minutes ... poof! The system shutdown on its own.
I tried to power it back up but it's dead. I waited a few hours but no luck.

Not sure what happened, but can anyone point me in the right direction? Maybe my power supply is dead? The model I have is a Thermaltake Purepower W0100RU 500W ATX 12V 2.0 Power Supply.

Any insight would be appreciated ...

- Joe

Duct Tape Dude
Gerbil Elite

Re: Dead PC

Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:45 pm

That sounds like it could be any of the things, but my money would be on the motherboard first, PSU second, RAM third, and CPU last.

You mentioned you upgraded--do you think you could carefully boot the old components? If it boots, your PSU is good. Assuming your old board supported DDR3, if you individually swap out your RAM to find bad sticks, that'd eliminate those. And that'd leave the motherboard as most suspect. Or the CPU.

Basically you're going to have to isolate each component to determine what you need to exchange.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:54 pm

Yeah, time for the box-top minimal boot and add things as the boot doesn't fail.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Darthutos
Gerbil First Class

Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:46 pm

You did put in the 4+4 Power near the CPU right?

Also, Did you plugged in power to the CPU fan(s)?

Is your PSU a modern PSU (Haswell certified?) I know it's not Intel, but non Haswell certified PSU are generally very old PSU they don't play nice with modern components.

vargis14
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:09 pm

Sorry but I am in a anti AMD mood lately but you could have gotten a nice Intel setup for the money you paid for that crazy 150$ motherboard and a CPU that is really not up to snuff to run 2 PCIE 16x slots that is for sure.

Good luck fixing it... I just cannot recommend a AMD build to anyone anymore unless Zen pans out but I feel like we will be waiting a eternity for another floparoo me thinks. Heck they might even go belly up before zen is delivered :( I know I would be scared for my job if I worked for AMD. And their marketing team is the absolute pits, I do not think anyone can deny that.

And I loved AMD products for many many years and used to get a new AMD cpu every year pretty much. If they would have just kept improving the Thuban with die shrinks and direct PCIE lanes to the CPU add a couple more cores and make the memory controller up to par they would have been way better off then wasting so much time and resources on Bullcrap..I mean bulldozer and pile driver. I have been so disappointed in AMD for such a long time. It is almost like they are trying to fail
2600k@4848mhz @1.4v CM Nepton40XL 16gb Ram 2x EVGA GTX770 4gb Classified cards in SLI@1280mhz Stock boost on a GAP67-UD4-B3, SBlaster Z powered by TX-850 PSU pushing a 34" LG 21/9 3440-1440 IPS panel. Pieced together 2.1 sound system

yeti
Gerbil

Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:34 pm

To the OP there are plenty of people who'd like to offer their help here, so don't be shy! Post as much info of the error codes and messages you can remember so people here can give you the help you need.
This is one of the few times error codes can be of some use!!So to help you understand what went wrong if you can provide the error codes please do so.

jpardi
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:43 pm

To answer some questions:
- I did hook up the CPU fan 4-pin wire near the CPU.
- my PSU is over 7 years old. It's a Thermaltake Purepower W0100RU 500W ATX 12V 2.0 Power Supply.

I honed in on my PSU and I believe it's shot. I removed it from the PC to isolate it and tried to get the fan to run. I jumped the green pin to the black pin and plugged it in but the fan won't come on. From what I've read, this should work 99% of the time. I tried a couple different black pins but no luck. So I believe it's time for a new PSU.

Can I get a recommendation for a new one? The mobo needs a 24-pin hookup and I need to power the following components:
- ASUS CROSSBLADE RANGER FM2+ AMD A88X motherboard
- AMD A10-7850K Kaveri 12 Compute Cores (4 CPU + 8 GPU) 3.7GHz Socket FM2+ 95W AD785KXBJABOX Desktop Processor AMD Radeon R7 series
- G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2400 (PC3 19200)
- Corsair Force CSSD-F120GB2-BRKT 2.5" 120GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive
- Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD7500AAKS 750GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive
- ASUS PCE-AC56 802.11ac Dual-band Wireless-AC1300 PCI-E Adapter
- Koutech IO-RCM621 All-in-one USB 2.0 3.5" USB 2.0 Front Panel Multi-format Card Reader with USB 2.0 Port
- LITE-ON 20X SATA DVD Burner with LightScribe

I was thinking about ordering the one below but am open to suggestions. I need a good one as this is my main PC. I use it for work so it must be reliable.
- Rosewill RD600-M - Stallion Series 600-Watt Modular Power Supply Unit- ATX 12V, SLI & CrossFire-Ready

- Joe

Darthutos
Gerbil First Class

Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:06 pm

Do your research on PSU with jonnyguru.com

Also for prices use pcpartpicker.com

what is your budget?

You didn't mention any GPU, so I assume you'll use the iGPU from AMD APU?

Are you planning to upgrade to a discrete GPU?

If not, you can get away with a 300 W GPU

Here are a few recommendations:

SeaSonic SS-300TGW $80CAD 300 W
Corsair CS450M 450W 89CAD (Seasonic OEM)

The above are rated 80 plus Gold. And made by Seasonic. a quality PSU company.

You can also get 80 plus bronze: here:

Corsair CX600M $65 CAD 600W (modular)
SeaSonic SS-300TFX Bronze 300W $60CAD

Edit: I just read over a review of your old dead? PSU and here's a link:

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/ ... view/990/9

Suffice to say it won't be on my to buy list...

I couldn't find a review for the Rosewill you are considering, considering it's a 600W PSU, is bad news.

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:40 pm

In my experience Thermaltake PSUs are junk. Avoid like the plague.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:36 pm

just brew it! wrote:
In my experience Thermaltake PSUs are junk. Avoid like the plague.

FTFY
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:46 pm

Anyway, there are great PSUs from no-name brands and dubious PSU's from even decent brands like Antec and Corsair.

The truth is that only one company actually makes decent power supplies and ONLY sells their own power supplies: Seasonic

Other PSUs could be made by anyone - probably Channel-Well, Great Wall, Fortron Source, Sparkle, SuperFlower, Seasonic etc. When you buy a Corsair, Thermaltake, Antec, EVGA, Coolermaster, Rosewill PSU, you are buying their label on the side and their warranty. None of those brands make their own PSU except Seasonic.

If you want a guaranteed decent PSU, buy a Seasonic.
If you want a decent PSU on a budget, limit your search to 80+ Gold units - It's impossible to get a product 80+ certified without using half-decent components.

If you want anything else, check JohnnyGuru on the specific model, the specific wattage, and check the revision. There's a hell of a lot of "bait and switch" in the PSU arena, but with 80+ gold units frequently on sale from one manufacturer or another you are usually able to take the risk out of budget PSU purchases. These days, 80+ bronze is the sign of a low-end PSU, clearly built down to a price. Do you really trust your data, your processor and your GPU to a cheap PSU when $20 more buys you a gold-rated PSU?
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

jpardi
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:54 am

Ok, so I took Darthutos's advice and purchased and installed the Corsair CX600M. The good news is that I am up and running! The bad news is that I don't believe all my memory chips are being recognized. To fresh your memory, I bought a total of 4 4GB chips (link below). Windows is reporting a total of 8GB of memory. So unless I'm overlooking the obvious, this should be 16GB.

It appears that the first two banks are fine. I have tried all 4 chips in the first two banks and all the chips are fine. When I fill all 4 banks, I only get 8GB. Any ideas? I'm crossing my fingers that it's not a bad mobo!

[www].[newegg].[com]/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231666

Apologize for the non-working link but the forum won't let me post links.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:07 am

Well, the mobo is rated for 16 GiB/slot, so that shouldn't be the problem. Might want to poke around in the BIOS to see if dual-channel is enabled or not [/handwave].

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:11 am

So it reports 8GB whether the last 2 slots are filled or not?

Check whether there are any BIOS updates available.

Edit: Have you tried running Memtest86, and if so how much RAM does it report? What version of Windows are you running?
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

The Egg
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:15 am

just brew it! wrote:
So it reports 8GB whether the last 2 slots are filled or not?

Check whether there are any BIOS updates available.

This. Also, reset the BIOS with the motherboard jumper either way.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:06 am

It never hurts to remove and reseat the CPU when the memory controller is onboard. A bent pin can cause the loss of a whole memory channel on both Intel and AMD setups.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I

Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:22 am

.I mean bulldozer and pile driver. I have been so disappointed in AMD for such a long time. It is almost like they are trying to fail

My first couple of builds had AMD CPUs, and AMD. And they were making Intel a good run for the money

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:30 am

whm1974 wrote:
My first couple of builds had AMD CPUs, and AMD. And they were making Intel a good run for the money

There was clear parity in the Barton days. Once Intel ditched Netburst and went with the Israeli fab's revision of the P6 architecture (Core and its descendents) it's been a long and slow slide for AMD.

Darthutos
Gerbil First Class

Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:21 pm

degenerating into Intel vs AMD fanboy wars.

Anyway, if the bios reset don't work, then it may be either the CPU or the Mobo.

Because the pins are on the CPU for AMDs, and any bent pins are therefore on the CPU.

Do you have another FM2+ Mobo or have a friend who have a FM2+ Mobo? If so, put the CPU on the other Mobo and see what happens.

Try this only if the bios reset don't work.

To do the bios reset, look at your Mobo manual. on page 1-6, you can see there is a small red button (21) near the USB 2.0 5-6 keyed connection and the last PCI-e slot.

Turn off your computer, turn the switch at the back of PC from 1 to 0, and press the button. hold it for 10 seconds. release. switch the back of PC switch from 0 to 1. Power up your PC. It should say something like new CPU detected or something like that, press F1 to continue. Press F1, it should go into something called a BIOS. The first page should display the total memory you have. Regardless, at this point you should press F10 (or is it F9?)to save and exit.

---

If reset bios don't work, then remove CPU and take a microscope and take a careful look at the bottom of your CPU? Are there any bent pins? If not, you could try putting your CPU and memory to another system. If on another system everything works, you have a bad mobo. If everything stays the same, you have a bad CPU.

---

TL;DR
Try your CPU and memory on another system if and only if bios reset don't work.

divide_by_zero
Gerbil First Class

Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:35 pm

Chrispy_ wrote:
It never hurts to remove and reseat the CPU when the memory controller is onboard. A bent pin can cause the loss of a whole memory channel on both Intel and AMD setups.

This.

It's likely either a bent CPU pin, or possibly a damaged pin in one of the DIMM slots, which can be hard to spot.

Asus boards should be able to show you info about your DIMMs in the BIOS, so you'll want to check to see if what's in those slots is being recognized in any way. (For example, "Unknown" rather than "Empty".)

Also could it be that a rogue standoff was left in the case from your previous mobo which doesn't align with a mounting hole on the new one? I've seen this cause any number of weird issues, including memory recognition issues. Might want to pull the board and fire it up outside the case.

localhostrulez
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:41 pm

jpardi wrote:
It appears that the first two banks are fine. I have tried all 4 chips in the first two banks and all the chips are fine. When I fill all 4 banks, I only get 8GB. Any ideas? I'm crossing my fingers that it's not a bad mobo!

Do the second two banks work at all? I had an issue with this with my old 1156/i5 750 machine - a CPU pin apparently got bent when I built the machine, and I didn't know it until I added some RAM and ran into a ton of issues (RAM not recognized, machine not booting properly half the time)...

jpardi
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:55 pm

Bent PIN on the CPU chip. With some careful "tweezerin", I got it straightened out ok!

THANK YOU for helping me get this fixed. The PC is up and humming with 16GB RAM and I hope to be good for another 5 years!

I really appreciate all your help!

- Joe