Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Thresher

MOSFET
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

USB 3.0 boot with ASMedia controllers - yes!

Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:11 am

Anyone else noticed that despite common wisdom (it seems) it is entirely possible to boot from an ASMedia USB 3.0 controller? In my case, the motherboard is Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0. I have several of them and it works on all of them. With the AMD 990FX northbridge and SB950 southbridge, there is no onboard USB 3.0 controller, so no confusion of ports is in play. The specific controller here is the ASM1042A, from matching Device Manager hardware ID to ASMedia SuperSpeed controllers list.

Does this work for other AMD users? I have a couple of Richland-based PC's at work with the A85X chipset, which does have AMD USB 3.0, so I will try those when I can and report back.

How about you, Intel users? I only have Intel CPUs in a laptop, an NUC, and a Supermicro server, but booting from Intel-based USB 3.0 controllers seems to work, sometimes with the success depending on OS. How about third party USB controllers on Intel boards? I don't have any such test examples. Have I been blind and has this been a thing since UEFI became prevalent? UEFI was a bit late to the AMD desktop mobo sector.
Be careful on inserting this (or any G34 chip) into the socket. Once you pull that restraining lever, it is either a good install or a piece of silicon jewelry.

biffzinker
Gerbil Jedi

Re: USB 3.0 boot with ASMedia controllers - yes!

Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:16 am

Success booting with a Asmedia USB 3.1 controller (ASM1142) on a Asus Z97-E/USB 3.1. Works in uEFI mode or in Compability mode for me.
It would take you 2,363 continuous hours or 98 days,11 hours, and 35 minutes of gameplay to complete your Steam library.
In this time you could travel to Venus one time.

Dposcorp
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:58 am

What OS/Software are you guys booting from these Controllers?
I am wonder if it is a Linux distro, some rescue disk, or some version of windows.

I am still trying to build a Windows 7/8/10 based rescue USB drive without having a enterprise license.......mine is based of of Windows XP and due for a update.

biffzinker
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:07 pm

Dposcorp wrote:
What OS/Software are you guys booting from these Controllers?
I am wonder if it is a Linux distro, some rescue disk, or some version of windows.

I am still trying to build a Windows 7/8/10 based rescue USB drive without having a enterprise license.......mine is based of of Windows XP and due for a update.

Just ran through three different flash drives each one with Windows 7, the other with Windows 8.1, and last one with Windows 10. All of them booted through the Asmedia USB 3.1 controller, the Linux Live Distro I tried from another flash drive was Xubuntu 14.04.4 LTS earlier.

I know the integrated Intel USB 3.0 controller on the PCH has always worked okidoki booting for me.
It would take you 2,363 continuous hours or 98 days,11 hours, and 35 minutes of gameplay to complete your Steam library.
In this time you could travel to Venus one time.