Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Thresher

Darthutos
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Anyone have a MSI X99A SLImobo? My system does not boot.

Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:13 pm

Hi all,

TL:DR
The Mobo I got from MSI RMA seems to be DOA. All PC fans spin, mobo power button work, reset does not work. No post. Buzzer has no beep when breadboarded. Almost exactly the same problem as my 990FX Sabertooth problem.

If you follow my posts you will find that I had a problem with MSI X99A SLI mobo that had to be RMA'd unrelated to no post issue.

The RMA board does not post.
All fans spin, the mobo power on button and the reset button and OC Genie LED light up.
However, the Reset button does not work when pressed. The power button work both when power on and off.
I put in a buzzer but there is no beep. I changed 3 gpus (Zotac GTX 970, one EVGA HD 7870 whose fans do not spin, and one EVGA HD 7870 whose fans do spin), tried it on Seiki 4k TV. and an old VGA monitor. All no joy.
A few minutes ago I just breadboarded with all 8 ram put in, and heat sink and heat sinka nd fans. and buzzer. no GPU nor hdds.
I still cannot hear any beep. even with the heat sink fans unplugged (the heat sink itself was still on, I just unplugged the fans in order to try to hear any beeps from the buzzer.

The system had a Corsair Gold AX860 for power. When that did not work. I tried a no name 500W PSU and still the same thing.
So I'm thinking not power problem.

When I was trying to fix the thing, I might have smelt smoke, yet after I emergency shut down, the smell was gone.

Now I'm hoping the RMA board was DOA, and my 2 thoursand dollars CPU (i7 5960x) is not the culprit. But the Mobo still cost me 300 dollars. Now the RMA process already cost me 30 CAD dollars shipping and 45 USD for the so called RMA process (wasn't sure why, but anyway they said 45 USD if you want your mobo fixed). So I spent close to 100 dollars Canadian just to get a DOA board and dead computer. So you can imagine I'm very upset with MSI right now.

My Asus 990FX Sabertooth had almost the exact problem. Except that time the power button was able to turn the thing on and not off. At least that time the CPU LED was lit. the MSI X99A SLI Plus doesn't even have any trouble LEDs. There is no onboard QCode display. That time it was the Motherboard.

naql
Gerbil

Re: Anyone have a MSI X99A SLImobo? My system does not boot.

Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:35 pm

I have the same board and recently rebuilt the PC to add more RAM and upgrade some storage and ran into the same thing. I got it back up and running by reseating the RAM. I'm not a fan of the design of the RAM slots on this board and would rather have clips on both sides of the slot than just the one clip and the guide.