Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Thresher

Ph.D
Gerbil
Topic Author

USB port errors on my Asus P8Z68-V PRO

Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:08 pm

Greetings, fellow rodents!

I'm in a bit of a pickle. After resetting my CPU clocks recently to try and stop a nasty BSoD issue I ran into a very annoying problem. Constant USB connect/disconnect sounds, an "USB Device Not Recognised" error but not actually showing a device and a Device Manager refreshing every few seconds.
Not knowing exactly where the error was coming from I began disabling USB Root Hubs and the error went away once I disabled the final one listed in the Device Manager. It also disabled at least all the ports I encircled here.

Image... of course those were also the only USB ports I was actually using.

From bottom to top:
  1. USB cable going to the monitor to enable its USB ports (basically never used)
  2. My desk microphone. Used in some video games
  3. My keyboard.
  4. My mouse.

Since I have already wiped my C drive I am thinking about going for a full wipe of my hard drives, refreshing my drivers and updating from Windows 7 to Windows 10 but if there is something serious going on like the motherboard dying it would be all for nothing.

I would very much like to know what could be causing this error and how I might be able to fix it.
not a doctor

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Re: USB port errors on my Asus P8Z68-V PRO

Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:41 pm

Sounds like a flaky controller, or a flaky device. If you can't narrow it down by device, call those 4 ports dead.
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:29 am

Waco wrote:
Sounds like a flaky controller, or a flaky device. If you can't narrow it down by device, call those 4 ports dead.

I agree. You're going to need to narrow it down by process of elimination.

My money's on it being the monitor's USB hub (I've seen those cause problems before), so try disconnecting that first. If the problem persists, try moving your keyboard/mic/mouse to other ports, and then try swapping out each of those devices in turn for a spare (or borrowed) one.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Ph.D
Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:53 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Waco wrote:
Sounds like a flaky controller, or a flaky device.  If you can't narrow it down by device, call those 4 ports dead.

I agree. You're going to need to narrow it down by process of elimination.

My money's on it being the monitor's USB hub (I've seen those cause problems before), so try disconnecting that first. If the problem persists, try moving your keyboard/mic/mouse to other ports, and then try swapping out each of those devices in turn for a spare (or borrowed) one.

Thanks for the tip about the monitor USB hub. I never really paid much attention to it since I never really use the monitor's USB ports. Do you have any idea what about it might be causing those issues? (My monitor is a Dell U2311H.)

I've now re-enabled all the USB ports/hubs, disconnected all of the USB devices and then connected my mouse to each of them one by one. I didn't encounter any issues.
Then I reconnected the monitor USB pass-through and did the same but it also didn't trigger the "USB Device Not Recognized" or the constant connect/disconnect sound.
I can't seem to pin down this gremlin.

Another major aspect of this total refresh I have planned is the drivers, especially the motherboard drivers. I know the general advice for this kind of thing is to just get the ones on the manufacturer's support site but I'd love to be able to get the actual most recent/updated drivers I can get and I don't really know how or where to get them. On top of that I can't even seem to install the latest chipset drivers listed on the official ASUS website. (My SM Bus Controller is currently listed as driverless in my Device Manager.)
Is there a better way to find the most recent/up to date drivers of all my components?

Plan of action:
  1. Solve USB problem.
  2. Get all necessary hardware drivers, especially for the motherboard. Make sure they are the actual most recent ones available.
  3. Back up all important data on an external hard drive.
  4. Secure erase/format all hard drives and update the SSD drivers.
  5. Install Windows 10 and all necessary drivers.
  6. Copy necessary data from the external drive to the main drives.
Last edited by Ph.D on Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
not a doctor

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:09 pm

Do you still have issues if you leave the monitor's hub disconnected, and connect your mouse/keyboard to the rear ports? You need to work methodically to narrow things down. Change one thing at a time and see what makes the problem appear/disappear.

Ph.D
Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:44 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Do you still have issues if you leave the monitor's hub disconnected, and connect your mouse/keyboard to the rear ports? You need to work methodically to narrow things down. Change one thing at a time and see what makes the problem appear/disappear.

The problem is that most of the issues I've been encountering (I've been troubleshooting lots of things for about a week or two now) haven't happened constantly. The USB connect/disconnect and unrecognized device errors were happening about as close as you can get to constantly though.
But right now I am getting no errors except that I have an Unknown Device listed in the Device Manager under "Other Devices" when I enable that particular USB Root Hub even when there is no USB device connected.

UPDATE:
Since I didn't really encounter any problems when I enabled that root hub again I decided to connect my mouse and keyboard to it like they were before. Sadly when I booted up the PC today the USB Device Not Recognized issue returned so I had to disable the USB Root Hub once again.
not a doctor

HERETIC
Gerbil XP

Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:45 pm

FYI-My Dvico PCI twin tv tuner uses a USB lane for it's second tuner.
Don't know if any other add in cards do this........................................

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:32 am

I have an ASRock Z77 Extreme4, possibly close to feature-equivalent to your ASUS. It housed an OC'd 2500k that became unstable, and I replaced the whole lot with a 6700k/Z170/DDR4 setup. I've disposed of the RAM and will likely just toss the CPU, but if you're up for paying shipping plus a few bucks for my trouble the board should be good.

(I say this because the CPUs are still competitive and replacement boards are *really* hard to find, I know from experience!)

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:52 am

Wow, this is a real head-scratcher!

You're absolutely certain you've removed all other USB devices that were connected to the system?

Does the problem come back when you enable the hub, even if nothing is plugged into those ports? Or do there have to be devices plugged into the ports for the problem to happen?

Ph.D
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:34 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Wow, this is a real head-scratcher!

You're absolutely certain you've removed all other USB devices that were connected to the system?

Does the problem come back when you enable the hub, even if nothing is plugged into those ports? Or do there have to be devices plugged into the ports for the problem to happen?

All I have connected in terms of USB devices are the Keyboard, Mouse, monitor pass-through (no longer connected) and the microphone (also no longer connected). Looking at the device manager (see image above), the CPU cooler (Antec Kühler h₂o 920) also seems to count as an USB device but that one is a special case I suppose.
As I mentioned in the previous post, last time I re-enabled the hub and had no problems until I rebooted the system. (Although, as shown above, it did make an "Unknown Device" appear in the "Other Devices" category.) Once I did the problem returned. When the problem does occur it will continue to occur even if none of the ports are being used.

HERETIC wrote:
FYI-My Dvico PCI twin tv tuner uses a USB lane for it's second tuner.
Don't know if any other add in cards do this........................................

The only other card I have is the sound card (Asus Xonar DX).

Airmantharp wrote:
I have an ASRock Z77 Extreme4, possibly close to feature-equivalent to your ASUS. It housed an OC'd 2500k that became unstable, and I replaced the whole lot with a 6700k/Z170/DDR4 setup. I've disposed of the RAM and will likely just toss the CPU, but if you're up for paying shipping plus a few bucks for my trouble the board should be good.

(I say this because the CPUs are still competitive and replacement boards are *really* hard to find, I know from experience!)

Thank you for the offer. Maybe if the problem turns out to be insurmountable I'll have to take you up on your offer. It would only be a last resort type of deal though. I mostly just want to fix this one.
not a doctor

Delta9
Gerbil

Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:52 pm

The only simple thing you did not mention checking is if there is any physical damage to any of your USB ports. A bent pin on any port or device can cause all sorts of issues that can be intermittent. To cover all the bases, check the ports for a bent pin, even on the monitor hub.

HERETIC
Gerbil XP

Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:11 pm

Can't hurt-try removing sound card-maybe try different slot.......

Topinio
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:58 am

Ph.D wrote:
All I have connected in terms of USB devices are the Keyboard, Mouse, monitor pass-through (no longer connected) and the microphone (also no longer connected). Looking at the device manager (see image above), the CPU cooler (Antec Kühler h₂o 920) also seems to count as an USB device but that one is a special case I suppose.

Why? Couldn't it be causing the issue? Have you tried disconnecting its USB connector? If not, have you tried correlating the USB disconnect sounds with whatever the cooler's monitoring software reports (as maybe it could be e.g. when the fan spins down)?

Ph.D wrote:
As I mentioned in the previous post, last time I re-enabled the hub and had no problems until I rebooted the system. (Although, as shown above, it did make an "Unknown Device" appear in the "Other Devices" category.) Once I did the problem returned. When the problem does occur it will continue to occur even if none of the ports are being used.

Really stupid question, but have you recently checked the manufacturer websites and do you definitely have all the (most recent) drivers and other manufacturer software installed for the motherboard and all your USB devices, including the input devices and the CPU cooler? Are you running an OS version specifically supported for these?
Desktop: 750W Snow Silent, X11SAT-F, E3-1270 v5, 32GB ECC, RX 5700 XT, 500GB P1 + 250GB BX100 + 250GB BX100 + 4TB 7E8, XL2730Z + L22e-20
HTPC: X-650, DH67GD, i5-2500K, 4GB, GT 1030, 250GB MX500 + 1.5TB ST1500DL003, KD-43XH9196 + KA220HQ
Laptop: MBP15,2

Ph.D
Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:44 pm

Delta9 wrote:
The only simple thing you did not mention checking is if there is any physical damage to any of your USB ports. A bent pin on any port or device can cause all sorts of issues that can be intermittent. To cover all the bases, check the ports for a bent pin, even on the monitor hub.

I'm definitely not seeing any visible damage on any of the ports. And all ports work when I attach an USB device to them.
HERETIC wrote:
Can't hurt-try removing sound card-maybe try different slot.......

No change. But then the sound card is not even USB device or anything so that's not terribly surprising.

Topinio wrote:
Ph.D wrote:

Why?  Couldn't it be causing the issue?  Have you tried disconnecting its USB connector?  If not, have you tried correlating the USB disconnect sounds with whatever the cooler's monitoring software reports (as maybe it could be e.g. when the fan spins down)?

Ph.D wrote:

Really stupid question, but have you recently checked the manufacturer websites and do you definitely have all the (most recent) drivers and other manufacturer software installed for the motherboard and all your USB devices, including the input devices and the CPU cooler? Are you running an OS version specifically supported for these?

I have seen or heard no correlation between the CPU cooler, its fans or the USB connector. I'm not the biggest fan of the Kühler software but I've used it for many years now without a whole lot of issues. Disconnecting it from the PC and then running it would mean running the PC without any sort of CPU cooling so I am hesitant to do that.
The only real difference I've noticed is that since doing the C-drive wipe (which is after the problem started occurring of course) and reinstalling most of the drivers the cooling fan does not spin up to maxium speed during the boot-up process anymore. Never actually knew why that happened in the first place but I did notice when it stopped doing that.
As you can read above I would love to actually do a full wipe and get the real most recent drivers for everything but I am not sure how to get my hands on those. In terms of drivers listed on the ASUS website I have the most recent BIOS, I do not have he most recent chipset drivers (as explained earlier in the thread) and I have an even more recent version of the Asmedia USB3.0 Controller Driver than the one listed on that page. Before and at the time when the USB error started appearing I had all the latest drivers for everything except the aforementioned chipset drivers of which I had the second to most recent drivers. Downloading the even newer Asmedia drivers was one of my attempts to fixing the problem. Then again the USB ports in question aren't USB3 ports anyway so it was probably for naught.
The OS I am running is the same OS that I have been running since I built this PC in 2011. Windows 7 Ultimate. The latest service pack for that isn't exactly recent either.
not a doctor

Topinio
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:51 am

Ph.D wrote:
I have seen or heard no correlation between the CPU cooler, its fans or the USB connector. I'm not the biggest fan of the Kühler software but I've used it for many years now without a whole lot of issues. Disconnecting it from the PC and then running it would mean running the PC without any sort of CPU cooling so I am hesitant to do that.
The only real difference I've noticed is that since doing the C-drive wipe (which is after the problem started occurring of course) and reinstalling most of the drivers the cooling fan does not spin up to maxium speed during the boot-up process anymore. Never actually knew why that happened in the first place but I did notice when it stopped doing that.
As you can read above I would love to actually do a full wipe and get the real most recent drivers for everything but I am not sure how to get my hands on those. In terms of drivers listed on the ASUS website I have the most recent BIOS, I do not have he most recent chipset drivers (as explained earlier in the thread) and I have an even more recent version of the Asmedia USB3.0 Controller Driver than the one listed on that page. Before and at the time when the USB error started appearing I had all the latest drivers for everything except the aforementioned chipset drivers of which I had the second to most recent drivers. Downloading the even newer Asmedia drivers was one of my attempts to fixing the problem. Then again the USB ports in question aren't USB3 ports anyway so it was probably for naught.
The OS I am running is the same OS that I have been running since I built this PC in 2011. Windows 7 Ultimate. The latest service pack for that isn't exactly recent either.

Would the CPU cooler pump actually stop if you only disconnected its USB cable? I shouldn't think so, it has a separate (standard) 3-pin power cable to the motherboard, and the fans are powered from the pump, if I'm reading the manual correctly.

For the drivers, sorry I'd missed where you earlier wrote

Ph.D wrote:
I know the general advice for this kind of thing is to just get the ones on the manufacturer's support site but I'd love to be able to get the actual most recent/updated drivers I can get and I don't really know how or where to get them.

but you can go to https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P8Z68 ... _Download/ and choose your OS from the pull-down menu. You have Windows 7, if it's 64b you will see available the below, if it's not it'll be similar.

You should grab the ones listed below (assuming 64b Windows 7, or if not that the 32b revisions are similar) and install them one after another, rebooting when an installer tells you to. As it isn't the one below, from that site, uninstall the Asmedia USB3.0 Controller Driver first.

Intel Chipset Driver V9.3.0.1019
Intel Management Engine Interface V8.0.0.1262
Realtek Audio Driver V6.0.1.6251
Intel Graphics Accelerator Driver V8.15.10.2598
Intel LAN Driver V17.3.0.0
Asmedia USB3.0 Controller Driver V1.14.1.0
Intel AHCI/RAID Driver and Rapid Storage Technology driver software V10.6.2.1001
JMicron JMB36X Controller Driver V1.17.58.2
Marvell SATA 6G AHCI Driver V1.0.0.1045
ASUS Bluetooth Driver V8.0.1.314

Then you could install, from the same page, the latest version of the motherboard suite, http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/misc/u ... 1480422707 and the latest ASUS EZ Update V2.00.08 after, which will keep you up to date in future.

I'd probably not install the USB 3.0 Boost Full Package Version V1.00.05, personally.
Desktop: 750W Snow Silent, X11SAT-F, E3-1270 v5, 32GB ECC, RX 5700 XT, 500GB P1 + 250GB BX100 + 250GB BX100 + 4TB 7E8, XL2730Z + L22e-20
HTPC: X-650, DH67GD, i5-2500K, 4GB, GT 1030, 250GB MX500 + 1.5TB ST1500DL003, KD-43XH9196 + KA220HQ

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:58 am

Here's a long shot: Grab a flashlight and make sure nothing is jammed down inside any of the problematic USB jacks. Maybe there's some slightly conductive debris that is confusing the system because it thinks it sees a device plugged in, but when it tries to figure out what the device is, nothing responds.

Ph.D
Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:43 pm

Topinio wrote:
Ph.D wrote:

Would the CPU cooler pump actually stop if you only disconnected its USB cable?  I shouldn't think so, it has a separate (standard) 3-pin power cable to the motherboard, and the fans are powered from the pump, if I'm reading the manual correctly.

For the drivers, sorry I'd missed where you earlier wrote

Ph.D wrote:
I know the general advice for this kind of thing is to just get the ones on the manufacturer's support site but I'd love to be able to get the actual most recent/updated drivers I can get and I don't really know how or where to get them.

but you can go to https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P8Z68 ... _Download/ and choose your OS from the pull-down menu.  You have Windows 7, if it's 64b you will see available the below, if it's not it'll be similar.

You should grab the ones listed below (assuming 64b Windows 7, or if not that the 32b revisions are similar) and install them one after another, rebooting when an installer tells you to.  As it isn't the one below, from that site, uninstall the Asmedia USB3.0 Controller Driver first.

Intel Chipset Driver V9.3.0.1019
Intel Management Engine Interface V8.0.0.1262
Realtek Audio Driver V6.0.1.6251
Intel Graphics Accelerator Driver V8.15.10.2598
Intel LAN Driver V17.3.0.0
Asmedia USB3.0 Controller Driver V1.14.1.0
Intel AHCI/RAID Driver and Rapid Storage Technology driver software V10.6.2.1001
JMicron JMB36X Controller Driver V1.17.58.2
Marvell SATA 6G AHCI Driver V1.0.0.1045
ASUS Bluetooth Driver V8.0.1.314

Then you could install, from the same page, the latest version of the motherboard suite, http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/misc/u ... 1480422707 and the latest ASUS EZ Update V2.00.08 after, which will keep you up to date in future.

I'd probably not install the USB 3.0 Boost Full Package Version V1.00.05, personally.

Now that you mention it, you're right about the CPU cooler thing. When I wiped the C drive (and with it the CPU cooler software) it just ran at maximum speed constantly (extremely loud) until I installed the software. That being said the software being installed or not had no real impact on the USB issue.

As for the drivers: As I mentioned I know what's on the ASUS website (I've linked to it multiple times now for a reason) and I also know that for some of the components the drivers on the support website are not really the most recent drivers available. I also know that generally people recommend only getting the versions from the manufacturer's website despite newer versions existing. And yet I still want the actual most recent drivers for the compontents that have them when I do the full wipe.

I want to stress again that none of these drivers had any impact on the USB issue at all. This issue existed while all those drivers were installed. I just haven't bothered reinstalling all of them since wiping the C drive (a drastic measure I took in the hopes of solving the problems I was having) because I want to solve the USB issue first and then do a full wipe and I don't particularly care about stuff I don't need right now like on-board audio or video drivers which I won't even use.
The exception is the intel chipset drivers of which I used to have the second-most recent version and could not get the most recent version at all because the installer kept preventing me from doing so. Why that is and how to fix that, I do not know. But I also don't think it's related to the USB issue considering how many years had them without any issues.

The part I have arrived at now is but one stage in a long line of problems which have basically gotten worse the more advice I followed to fix it.
It started about a month ago with BSoDs while browsing the internet and watching videos but not during seemingly more stressful tasks like playing modern video games. The most recent hardware change I made had been buying a new GPU in September (EVGA GTX 1070 FTW) and of course that became the prime suspect of the issue. Especially after it was revealed that the whole EVGA line using those coolers had serious issues and whatnot.

To make a long story short people managed to convince me to remove the CPU overclock since the thought was that it might have degraded and become unstable since 2014. Sadly once I did that the other problems started. Specifically the USB error (which had not happened before) and the issue of the PC sometimes booting up as if it were shot with a tranquilizer dart. Just extremely sluggish and slow to boot and also in general use.

Eventually people convinced me to go with the nuclear option, meaning wiping the C drive and reinstalling Windows. Sadly this did not solve the issues I was having. The USB error still occurs if that USB Root Hub is enabled and the PC still sometimes runs in slow motion for reasons I do not know.

(More details of the issues can be found here and here.)

So, to sum it all up:
  1. I was getting seemingly random BSoDs while browsing the internet and watching videos on it but not while putting the system under (relatively) heavy stress.
  2. The most recent (hardware) change I made to the PC was getting a new GPU, which became the prime suspect. Especially since that entire line of GPUs had issues.
  3. I reinstalled GPU drivers and ran lots of stress tests (MemTest86, x264, RealBench, Aida64) to ascertain the cause of the issue but could not find it.
  4. I was persuaded to reset the CPU to stock clocks to see if overclock might have degraded.
  5. Resetting to stock clocks seemed to fix the BSoDs but introduced a bunch of new issues such as the USB one and the PC running like crap one.
  6. Since I basically ended up in a worse place than where I started I was then persuaded to wipe the C drive and make a clean install of Windows.
  7. That's basically where I am now. A month later.

just brew it! wrote:
Here's a long shot: Grab a flashlight and make sure nothing is jammed down inside any of the problematic USB jacks. Maybe there's some slightly conductive debris that is confusing the system because it thinks it sees a device plugged in, but when it tries to figure out what the device is, nothing responds.

Hmm, interesting theory. I guess I'll give it a try. Maybe put the nozzle of a vacuum cleaner to it and see if anything comes out. Since all those ports were in use I'll also check the ports of the USB cables that were attached to them to see if there is any damage or corrosion on the connectors.
Last edited by Ph.D on Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.
not a doctor

Topinio
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:03 pm

Does the issue exist in Linux? (e.g. Fedora.)

Ph.D
Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:20 pm

Topinio wrote:
Does the issue exist in Linux?  (e.g. Fedora.)

Hmm, I haven't run Linux for many years now. Is there any way to test if any of the issues are present in Linux or is it just running it and hoping something will/won't happen?
not a doctor

Topinio
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:26 pm

You could try booting the live USB/CD I linked, doing stuff for a while e.g. web browsing, and seeing if you notice USB disconnects. Even if you don't, dmesg should show any that happened.

Ph.D
Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:47 pm

Topinio wrote:
You could try booting the live USB/CD I linked, doing stuff for a while e.g. web browsing, and seeing if you notice USB disconnects.  Even if you don't, dmesg should show any that happened.

OK I'll make a bootable USB and run it for a while when I have the time.
not a doctor

Arvald
Gerbil Elite

Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:05 pm

I have the same board.
Do a bios update.

the USB port reliability seems to depend on which controller you are on.

Edit: I saw you have most recent BIOS in later post... My USB 3 are unreliable and disconnect. My USB 2 are rock solid.

HERETIC
Gerbil XP

Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:55 pm

Sometimes it gets to the stage you have to say f**k it--and disable those ports--buy a $10 PCI/PCIE USB port card.

Experience has taught me when there's problems as Topino said-Use the drivers from Asus site.
Set BIOS to safe default.
Pull out Ram and reseat-Pull out all power cables and re-connect (don't forget the PSU side of the cables as well)

Once you have things running smooth then be as a*** as you want about must have latest drivers....................................
good luck

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:11 pm

HERETIC wrote:
Sometimes it gets to the stage you have to say f**k it--and disable those ports--buy a $10 PCI/PCIE USB port card.

Experience has taught me when there's problems as Topino said-Use the drivers from Asus site.
Set BIOS to safe default.
Pull out Ram and reseat-Pull out all power cables and re-connect (don't forget the PSU side of the cables as well)

Once you have things running smooth then be as a*** as you want about must have latest drivers....................................
good luck

Or just use a USB hub on one of the 3.0 ports...
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:53 pm

Oooh... I missed the bit about the Asmedia controller. Are the problem ports on the Asmedia? I've had trouble with hangs/disconnects on Asmedia-based USB 3.0 chipsets on a couple of systems. Solution was a PCIe USB 3.0 card with an NEC/Renesas chipset. YMMV, since I'm running Linux... but if the problem is related to firmware in the USB chipset, or in code which is shared between the Windows and Linux drivers, it is possible you're seeing the same issue I had.

Ph.D
Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:28 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Oooh... I missed the bit about the Asmedia controller. Are the problem ports on the Asmedia? I've had trouble with hangs/disconnects on Asmedia-based USB 3.0 chipsets on a couple of systems. Solution was a PCIe USB 3.0 card with an NEC/Renesas chipset. YMMV, since I'm running Linux... but if the problem is related to firmware in the USB chipset, or in code which is shared between the Windows and Linux drivers, it is possible you're seeing the same issue I had.

No, they're USB 2.0 ports. I'm using the USB 2.0 ports at the front of the case right now and haven't had any issues with them.
not a doctor

Rectal Prolapse
Gerbil

Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:49 pm

Hmm I have the same motherboard. A year ago it started having issues with the USB2 ports. I think my problem is that it can no longer supply enough power to the ports. The solution is to use a powered USB hub and plug that into one port, and plug all devices into that. That seemed to fix all my USB issues.

Skid
Gerbil

Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:04 pm

Could it be static electricity? I know if I walk across the carpet to my PC and touch any USB device (joystick, throttle, rudder, headphones, pedals or steering wheel) , they ALL drop out with that accompanying "USB connect/disconnect sound". I used to think it was my USB controllers too... but this is the 3rd or 4th mobo (an ASUS P8Z77-V Pro, btw ) that this happens on. That's why I have one of those anti-static mats. Just gotta remember to actually *touch* it...

swaaye
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:52 pm

I'm another P8Z68-V Pro owner.  It has fickle USB to say the least.   Like above, try using a hub, and also try putting things on the Asmedia controller instead.

I would also try a full CMOS reset via the reset jumper.

Ph.D
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:41 am

Rectal Prolapse wrote:
Hmm I have the same motherboard. A year ago it started having issues with the USB2 ports. I think my problem is that it can no longer supply enough power to the ports. The solution is to use a powered USB hub and plug that into one port, and plug all devices into that. That seemed to fix all my USB issues.

swaaye wrote:
I'm another P8Z68-V Pro owner.  It has fickle USB to say the least.   Like above, try using a hub, and also try putting things on the Asmedia controller instead.

I would also try a full CMOS reset via the reset jumper.

Interesting to hear other people having similar issues. I'm definitely looking into the CMOS reset when I do the completel reinstall. I'd like to start as refreshed as possible.
Basically with that USB hub disabled I have now lost access to 6 USB 2.0 ports on the motherboard. I still have the 2 USB 3.0 ports on the back and the 2 USB 3.0 + 2 USB 2.0 ports on the front of the case. That's actually enough for what I generally need but I'm just mainly interested in the source of this problem in case it's some serious issue with the motherboard.
Skid wrote:
Could it be static electricity? I know if I walk across the carpet to my PC and touch any USB device (joystick, throttle, rudder, headphones, pedals or steering wheel) , they ALL drop out with that accompanying "USB connect/disconnect sound". I used to think it was my USB controllers too... but this is the 3rd or 4th mobo (an ASUS P8Z77-V Pro, btw ) that this happens on. That's why I have one of those anti-static mats. Just gotta remember to actually *touch* it...

But do the devices work again after you unload the charge? I mean is it temporary or have you actually fried your ports because of it?
not a doctor