Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Thresher

DeadOfKnight
Gerbil Elite

Re: RAM not working at advertised speeds

Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:31 pm

Vhalidictes wrote:
thecoldanddarkone wrote:
Usually I can get close, but ultimately I normally have to fiddle with something. I only really buy from Gskill or Crucial. Thread derailment - As for 2400@10 is that at 1t?

I've been purchasing my memory from Crucial or Corsair mostly - But keep in mind that my experiences are all DDR3-based. I've don't have anything that's DDR4 yet.

Note that none of this RAM has been technically bad, it's just never matched the Profile settings on any board that supports the feature. I typically end up running them at lower speeds than rated at tighter timings than rated at the normal voltage.

I would just go for the highest standard, if I were you. For example, if you were on z97, I would recommend DDR3L-1600. If you want to try your hand at overclocking, go one bin higher with lower CAS latency or 1866 and have some wiggle room to play around with it.

Don't spend any more money on RAM unless fiddling with the BIOS is a hobby for you by itself. You can probably get it to run at the rated speed, it was tested at the factory and working at the rated speed, but if you want to overclock your CPU as well it may not, and a CPU overclock has a much higher effect on overall performance.
Intel Core i7-5775c, Asus Maximus VII Formula, Win 10 Pro
RTX 2080 Ti FE, Corsair 2x8GB DDR3-1866, Corsair AX860
Corsair H105, WD Red 4TB x2, Creative X-Fi Titanium HD
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, Alienware AW3418DW, Corsair 450D

synthtel2
Gerbil Elite

Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:15 pm

I'm not sure the math works out for that. If you buy DDR4-3000 and it works fine (which it often does), everything is cool. If not, 2800 probably will. "Fiddling with the BIOS" might be tough if you're trying to squeeze every last drop out of a given setup, but XMP can't do that anyway, and finding something stable at well above baseline performance is easy. The performance gains over 2133 or 2400 do exist, and they're often a much bigger deal than 100 MHz extra on the CPU (assuming there's a tradeoff there in the first place - IME there isn't a noticable one). When considering that RAM rated at 3000 CL15 can be had for hardly any more money than 2133 CL15 (mind the absolute latency difference), there doesn't seem to be much of a downside.

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:46 pm

HERETIC wrote:
Haven't had that problem since I stopped buying corsair-Last two kits of ram were G-Skill DDR3 2133 and XMP worked fine.
Intel really needs to work on it's memory controller for DDR4-seems too finicky-with even board traces being critical

JustAnEngineer wrote:
Heretic, now that you mention it, I have had similar experiences. I've had very good results with Crucial and good results with G.Skill and other brands of memory running at the maximum advertised speed. Corsair-not so much.

I'll chime in here too, although my anecdata points are rather out-of-date.

Back in the DDR days (Athlon XP and Athlon64) I had lousy luck with Corsair as well. Sometimes I even had to back the timings off from stock to get things 100% stable. I switched to Kingston (I occasionally buy Crucial too), and haven't looked back; I'm still a bit of a Kingston fanboy when it comes to RAM, even though they don't seem to be considered to be one of the top-tier "enthusiast" brands. I also continue to avoid Corsair RAM (I've bought quite a few of their PSUs though).
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:03 am

JBI, G.Skill seems to be the only brand of memory that "just works" for me overall. I've had good success with Crucial as well, but that memory tends to be more expensive and not perform as well when tweaking settings.

Interestingly, that brand isn't just the best, it's also among the least expensive.

HERETIC
Gerbil XP

Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:24 am

just brew it! wrote:
I'm still a bit of a Kingston fanboy when it comes to RAM, even though they don't seem to be considered to be one of the top-tier "enthusiast" brands. I also continue to avoid Corsair RAM (I've bought quite a few of their PSUs though).

Have regularly recommended Kingston Ram for those that want stock speeds(it just seems to work in everything)
Stopped buying Corsair PSU's since they stopped selling Seasonic.(not a big fan of Chinese capacitors)