Personal computing discussed

Moderators: Flying Fox, Thresher

What amounts of RAM would you consider normal for 6C or 8C Ryzen?

8 GB
2 (3%)
16 GB
34 (44%)
32 GB
28 (36%)
64 GB
3 (4%)
640K ought to be gouda enough for anybody
10 (13%)

Total votes: 77

Geonerd
Gerbil First Class

Re: Poll: Ryzen RAM amounts

Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:48 pm

Given current ram prices, I could probably limp along on 8gb until the next 'down' cycle comes along.

Ultimately, 32, or maybe 36 would be nice. I've re-discovered chess and am doing a bit of analysis with assorted engines. Most of these programs use a hash table that is a power of two in size. 36 gb would allow a 32 gb hash, which would be kinda nice for the occasional position that wants a longer computer 'think.' But, truth be told, 16gb of FAST memory total would be fine for my uses.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:29 am

Geonerd wrote:
Ultimately, 32, or maybe 36 would be nice.

So 2x16 + 2x2? Do 2GB DDR4 modules even exist? AFAICT Newegg doesn't list any.

Geonerd wrote:
I've re-discovered chess and am doing a bit of analysis with assorted engines. Most of these programs use a hash table that is a power of two in size. 36 gb would allow a 32 gb hash, which would be kinda nice for the occasional position that wants a longer computer 'think.'

The programs actually allow you to specify the size of the hash table as a power of 2 amount of RAM? That seems somewhat unusual... are you sure it isn't a power of 2 number of entries in the hash table?

Geonerd wrote:
But, truth be told, 16gb of FAST memory total would be fine for my uses.

Yeah, as noted a ways back in the thread, 16GB should be fine if you don't run VMs. If you run VMs, 32GB would potentially help.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

ptsant
Gold subscriber
Gerbil XP

Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:32 am

Running a research program that aligns biological sequences against the human genome requires exactly 31.5GB, so I went with 32GB dual-rank DDR4. I may upgrade to 64GB 2633MHz ECC DDR4 at some point in the future...

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:20 pm

Welch wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
Welch wrote:
Well of course you had RAM issues running VMs on 16gb JBI, how many chrome instances were you running on each guest OS!? If running virtual machines (plural) then I can easily see going over 16GB easy, if you're actually using the host machine with it's own OS.

My point was that I didn't have problems with Chrome in 16GB, unless I was also running VMs.

I was giving you a hard time lol. As though you were doing nothing but running Chrome in a multitude of VMs. But yeah, I agree. 16gb goes a long way still.

Why do you think you need to run Chrome inside all the VM guests in order to max out the RAM? Yes, I am lazy and I have settled on leaving the tabs open instead of managing and organizing bookmarks plus all those "read later" sites. While not at the 200 tabs level of the now banned l33t-g4m3r, but I am definitely at 50+.

This is my RAM status with no VM.
Total: 16382
Cached: 3426
Available: 3449
Free: 31
Once I fire up a VM, all that available and cached memory will be stressed for sure.

Good thing I don't have to run Outlook on this system, that's a real resource hogging pig (CPU, RAM, and disk, all 3). :-?
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:36 pm

Flying Fox wrote:
Welch wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
My point was that I didn't have problems with Chrome in 16GB, unless I was also running VMs.

I was giving you a hard time lol. As though you were doing nothing but running Chrome in a multitude of VMs. But yeah, I agree. 16gb goes a long way still.

Why do you think you need to run Chrome inside all the VM guests in order to max out the RAM? Yes, I am lazy and I have settled on leaving the tabs open instead of managing and organizing bookmarks plus all those "read later" sites. While not at the 200 tabs level of the now banned l33t-g4m3r, but I am definitely at 50+.

This is my RAM status with no VM.
Total: 16382
Cached: 3426
Available: 3449
Free: 31
Once I fire up a VM, all that available and cached memory will be stressed for sure.

Good thing I don't have to run Outlook on this system, that's a real resource hogging pig (CPU, RAM, and disk, all 3). :-?

LOL, no no, I was simply giving JBI a hard time about the insane usage with his Chrome. Adding VMware on top you reserve RAM for guests (sometimes dynamically). The running chrome is VMwares was just me being a smartass. I realize you could cap on our RAM out with Chrome alone since each tab runs it's own instance for stability.

Didn't know L337 got banned, I guess I hadn't seen posts from him in awhile.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

1600x | Strix B350-F | CM 240 Lite | 16GB 3200 | MSI 7850 | 850 EVO | Corsair 400R | Seasonic X 850 | Corsair M95 / K90 | Sennheiser PC37x