Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Thresher

TardOnPC
Gerbil
Topic Author

MSI Z270 M3: No Video On Secondary Boots

Sat May 06, 2017 12:41 am

First boot of this system works fine. If I completely shut down and then power on my system, no video. No more video until I reset the BIOS. I tried using the HDMI out on the mother board, also no video. SUPER. ANNOYING. Note: If I remove the GPU the MoBo video out works as normal.

This is the second board I've tried and am experiencing the same issue. All that wasted time. I don't have other GPUs to test in this system but that GPU works in my other system, so does the RAM, so do the solid state drives. BIOS settings list PCIe as the default video device too. I can't find anything online related to similar issues; most of the results are either no POST or no video at all issues. This system works fine on the first boot after a BIOS reset, it's nuts! I've built my own systems for 15yrs and never had anything like this happen. Any ideas for troubleshooting would be appreciated.

MSI Z270 M3, BIOS v1.2
Intel 7700K, BeQuiet Dark Rock 3 Cooler,
2 x 8GB (Slots 1 & 3) Corsair LPX 3200
Gigabyte 980Ti Gaming
Crucial MX300 275GB (M.2 Slot 1)
Crucial M550 1TB (SATA Slot 2)
Acer XB270H
PSU: BeQuiet 750
Intel i7-7700k | bequiet! Dark Rock 3 | Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4-3200 (2 x 8GB) | EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW | Gigabyte Z270 UD3 | Samsung 830 SSD 256GB | Crucial M550 SSD 1TB | bequiet! Dark Power Pro 750w PSU | Alienware 34" 3440x1440 100hz GSync

Kougar
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: MSI Z270 M3: No Video On Secondary Boots

Sat May 06, 2017 7:46 am

I had a similar issue when I built my first Haswell rig. I was going nuts until I actually turned on the speakers and heard the Windows loading soundbyte.

I'd suggest updating your BIOS first and foremost. If you've already done that then disable the IGP completely, there's a BIOS option for that. That trick worked for me until updated BIOS revisions were released.

TardOnPC
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat May 06, 2017 8:25 am

Thanks for the reply.

BIOS is up to date and there is no option to disable the IGP in the MSI BIOS. The graphics options in the BIOS are PEG or IGP, set to PEG. The board is supposed to detect the GPU, use that, and automatically disable the IGP however it fails to do that on anything other than the power cycle after the BIOS reset.

The system does POST and boot Windows, there just isn't any video. The GPU fans turn off, they are usually on full blast at start up and stop once Windows loads, and if I type my password I can hear the new hardware sound notification in Windows, installs the IGP drivers if I had to guess but definitely inside Windows.
Intel i7-7700k | bequiet! Dark Rock 3 | Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4-3200 (2 x 8GB) | EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW | Gigabyte Z270 UD3 | Samsung 830 SSD 256GB | Crucial M550 SSD 1TB | bequiet! Dark Power Pro 750w PSU | Alienware 34" 3440x1440 100hz GSync

blahsaysblah
Gerbil Elite

Sat May 06, 2017 11:53 am

I would try a couple of things, re-install Nvidia drivers with clean install option or do a reset of windows. I had similar black screen issue(totally different hardware than yours and in Windows 7 days), and it was due to corruption, there was invalid profile in there.

Have you tried rebooting into safe mode to see if graphics stays up?

edit: also try an older nvidia driver, you never know... a lot of effort to try an older patch of windows 10.

bfg-9000
Gerbil Team Leader

Sat May 06, 2017 12:34 pm

Not likely to be the driver when there is no POST video before Windows loads.

That's a 250w GPU and I would look first at trying a different PSU. Does it work after you unplug and replug the PSU from the wall, without resetting the BIOS?

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat May 06, 2017 12:43 pm

Have you tried power cycling the monitor? Maybe it is the monitor mis-behaving, not the GPU.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

blahsaysblah
Gerbil Elite

Sat May 06, 2017 4:27 pm

bfg-9000 wrote:
Not likely to be the driver when there is no POST video before Windows loads.

That's a 250w GPU and I would look first at trying a different PSU. Does it work after you unplug and replug the PSU from the wall, without resetting the BIOS?

In newer UEFI systems (like mine), with fast boot on, there is absolutely no POST screen on reboot. You go into Windows boot animation and login screen pretty instantaneously.

bfg-9000
Gerbil Team Leader

Sat May 06, 2017 5:46 pm

blahsaysblah wrote:
In newer UEFI systems (like mine), with fast boot on, there is absolutely no POST screen on reboot. You go into Windows boot animation and login screen pretty instantaneously.

Well he did say he was resetting the BIOS, and the defaults for MSI are UEFI disabled ("Windows 8.1/ 10 WHQL Support") and "MSI Fast Boot" disabled so it should show a MSI logo.

Strangely enough, in the manual regular old "Fast Boot" supposedly defaults to enabled for Windows 8.1/ 10, and disabled for Windows 7 but should have no effect if UEFI is disabled. However if the BIOS is automatically enabling UEFI and Fast Boot on the 2nd boot because it detects a UEFI compatible Windows 10 bootloader, that could indeed contribute to the problem. The way to test this would be to unplug the SSDs and boot to a non-UEFI aware OS to see if that starts the 2nd time successfully.

blahsaysblah
Gerbil Elite

Sun May 07, 2017 5:47 am

On that same side note, this might also be a Window Fast Startup "feature". Fast Startup is like Hibernate(actually uses part of Hibernate file) in that right before you shutdown, after Windows has logged you out, it saves snapshot of system with whats loaded in memory, because that's essentially what a startup with loaded drivers,... would look like. I've had one too many rare hard to debug problems with this, so at cost of maybe a few seconds(on an SSD based system) i have it turned off. Its just not worth it at all on SSD based systems. When i turn on my PC, i expect a freshly loaded and initialized OS. That's what everyone would expect. It's not true. It's is actually one of the very first things i do on a new Windows install. (This feature has been there since at least windows 8).

In an administrator level CMD shell or PowerShell: run "powercfg /hibernate off". This also fully disables hibernate, if you just want to disable Fast Startup: Power Control Panel->What power buttons do->under shutdown section.

side note, if you want to save some space, dont ever need hibernate but want Fast Startup/Hibernation boot: "POWERCFG /HIBERNATE /TYPE REDUCED".

C:\Users\>powercfg /h ?

POWERCFG /HIBERNATE <ON|OFF>

POWERCFG /HIBERNATE /SIZE <PERCENT_SIZE>

POWERCFG /HIBERNATE /TYPE <REDUCED|FULL>

Alias:
POWERCFG /H

Description:
Enables/disables the hibernate feature or sets the hiberfile size.

Parameter List:
<ON|OFF> Enables/disables the hibernate feature.

/SIZE <PERCENT_SIZE> Specifies the desired hiberfile size as a percentage
of the total memory size. The default size cannot be
smaller than 40. This parameter will also cause
hibernate to be enabled.

/TYPE <REDUCED|FULL> Specifies the desired hiberfile type. A reduced
hiberfile only supports hiberboot.

Examples:
POWERCFG /HIBERNATE OFF

POWERCFG /HIBERNATE /SIZE 100

POWERCFG /HIBERNATE /TYPE REDUCED

C:\Users\>