Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Thresher

MrKevin74
Gerbil
Topic Author

Thermal Tape or Paste for Chipsets?

Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:32 pm

Hey there,

Anyone have ideas on the worthiness of using tape or paste on chipsets around the GPU and CPU in laptops?
The existing tape in my laptop atm is old and folding and needs to be replaced.
Would Artic Silver 5 Paste work best for chipsets as currently im just using it for the GPU and CPU.

Thanks in Advance,
MrK
It’s supposed to be automatic, but actually you have to push this button.– John Brunner

Redocbew
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: Thermal Tape or Paste for Chipsets?

Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:48 pm

I'd probably use a thermal pad/tape for a chipset instead of the usual goo. Thermal compound doesn't have any adhesive properties to it, so unless the heatsink has its own mounting pins to help secure it, then you may need the tape to help keep it stuck on there. If it does, then yeah, go ahead and use the goo. Chipsets usually don't dissipate much heat, so either one should do the job fine.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

MrKevin74
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:59 pm

That's what I was thinking.
Much appreciated, now to find it around my side of the woods.
It’s supposed to be automatic, but actually you have to push this button.– John Brunner

Kougar
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:56 am

I'm a bit late to the thread, but you can also easily find adhesive thermal pastes, and those generally offer better cooling performance. Just make sure you don't use them on anything you might need to take the heatsinks off again at a later time.

LoneWolf15
Gerbil Elite

Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:36 pm

Whether you use tape or paste depends on the type of chip, and what it's intended to make contact with.

Exposed die with a metal heatsink? Use thermal paste, or, if it was used previously, a thermal pad (thermal pads are used to fill gaps that paste will not)

BGA chip with basic contact of another metal/magnesium surface in the laptop? Either thermal tape or thermal pad.
i9-9900K @4.7GHz, GIGABYTE Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi, 2 x 16GB G.Skill RipJaws V PC3000
Corsair 650D, Seasonic 1Kw Platinum PSU
2x HP EX920 1TB NVMe, Samsung 850 Pro 512GB 2.5", NEC 7200 DVDRW
Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super Gaming OC, Dell S2719DGF 27" LCD