Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Thresher

CScottG
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Gaming? More RAM for future titles..

Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:34 pm

Of course you already knew that, but because consoles represent the "lower-end" of system requirements it was interesting to read this in relation to the often requested "help with builds" on this forum:

https://www.engadget.com/2017/06/09/xbo ... io-memory/

..and of course your system OS will likely require more RAM than a console, and the PC titles will almost certainly have upgrades from the console versions (not to mention community add-on's) - all of which is starting to suggest MORE than 16 GB of memory for your PC (..at least for some titles).

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I

Re: Gaming? More RAM for future titles..

Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:42 am

Early demos of the Project Scorpio hardware have shown its ability to handle 4K, 60fps gaming

Yeah right, High end gaming computers struggle to do this.

Anyway, it doesn't surprise me that with Mods PC games are climbing towards 32GB of memory usage.

lmc5b
Gerbil

Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:19 am

whm1974 wrote:
Early demos of the Project Scorpio hardware have shown its ability to handle 4K, 60fps gaming

Anyway, it doesn't surprise me that with Mods PC games are climbing towards 32GB of memory usage.

Doesn't surprise me, you need to realise that pc gamers want 4k and ultra settings, while on the console side they keep everything the same and just increase the resolution to 4k.

sophisticles
Gerbil First Class

Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:53 am

whm1974 wrote:

Why do so many people have such a hard time understanding that a gaming consoles are purpose built computers, with a very light weight, optimized OS and games are destined solely for them are also highly optimized to run on said hardware.

So called high end gaming computers are still general purpose systems with off the shelf commodity OSes.

Just look at the PS2, using just 70 PS2's scientists where able to create a supercomputer, for just 50 grand:

https://www.geek.com/games/researchers- ... er-553365/

I believe that Scorpio will be able to handle 4k60 games, if said games are designed from the ground up with the Scorpio in mind.

Ifalna
Gerbil Team Leader

Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:08 pm

lmc5b wrote:
Doesn't surprise me, you need to realise that pc gamers want 4k and ultra settings, while on the console side they keep everything the same and just increase the resolution to 4k.

Most ultra settings are very expensive and add really little in terms of visuals. So it makes sense that console DEVs find the sweet spot (since they only have one hardware comp to worry about) and lock it there.

While the PC version can go higher, it comes at a hefty cost of non optimized code that is often thrown out there just for the heck of it, like absolutely bonkers tesselation levels in Crysis 2 (iirc).
That being said: I believe the constant 60 @4K in all situations when I see them, not before.
Hell, my system (3570K/1070Ti) can't even do it at 1080p. ^^
The backbone of modern industrial society is, and for the foreseeable future will be, the use of electrical Power.

LostCat
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:21 pm

whm1974 wrote:

They've already shown it with the Forza devs (not sure if it was 6 or Horizon 3) where they did 4K 60fps on Scorpio with a lot of power left on the table.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digit ... full-story bit of a long article but it's got the info anyway
"The crazy story here is that we've gone over our PC ultra settings and for everything that's GPU-related, we've been able to max it - and that's what we're running at, 88 per cent," says Tector, pointing to the utilisation data at the top of the screen. Right beneath it is the anti-aliasing setting - 4x, or rather 8:4x using the Radeon EQAA hardware AA.
Meow.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:28 pm

LostCat wrote:
whm1974 wrote:

They've already shown it with the Forza devs (not sure if it was 6 or Horizon 3) where they did 4K 60fps on Scorpio with a lot of power left on the table.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digit ... full-story bit of a long article but it's got the info anyway

Even so, how much work did the developers had to do to get this to work?

LostCat

Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:31 pm

whm1974 wrote:

I think I'll let the article speak for itself. The fact of the matter is this thing is going to have more power than a huge chunk of PCs so I'm rather excited about it.
Meow.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:41 pm

LostCat wrote:
whm1974 wrote:

I think I'll let the article speak for itself. The fact of the matter is this thing is going to have more power than a huge chunk of PCs so I'm rather excited about it.

I believe it when I see it. This wouldn't be the first time game consoles have fallen way short of marketing claims.

LostCat

Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:08 pm

whm1974 wrote:
I believe it when I see it. This wouldn't be the first time game consoles have fallen way short of marketing claims.

Just as a note neither the Forza team or Digital Foundry are marketing (even if that is basically what they're doing.) DF is well respected for their PC (when available) and console game performance comparisons.

But that's fair, I'd never expect people to just believe anything without actual hardware.
Meow.

LostCat

Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:23 pm

Holy **** Xbox One X? And some people thought Ryzen was bad :lol:

I wonder if MS just goes out of their way to pick dumb names.
Meow.

The Egg

Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:07 am

LostCat wrote:

Wow........just....wow.

*facepalm*

Can anyone tell me how to get a job with Microsoft's marketing team? I can show up to work belligerent drunk every day, and just blurt out the dumbest crap I can come up with. I'll be head of marketing in no time.

southrncomfortjm
Gerbil Elite

Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:19 am

sophisticles wrote:
whm1974 wrote:

Why do so many people have such a hard time understanding that a gaming consoles are purpose built computers, with a very light weight, optimized OS and games are destined solely for them are also highly optimized to run on said hardware.

So called high end gaming computers are still general purpose systems with off the shelf commodity OSes.

Just look at the PS2, using just 70 PS2's scientists where able to create a supercomputer, for just 50 grand:

https://www.geek.com/games/researchers- ... er-553365/

I believe that Scorpio will be able to handle 4k60 games, if said games are designed from the ground up with the Scorpio in mind.

Right, people always forget this.

We need more power on PC to run the same game since PC games can't be as well optimized as the console counterparts since devs know exactly what's in an Xbox or PS4, but need to account for 1000s of possible configurations on home computers. A console with the same basic specs as a PC will always out perform he PC with the same level of optimizations for that reason.

That said, there's 4K, and then there's 4K. You can get 4K video over Netflix, but that stream will pale in comparison to a real 4K Blu-ray due to compression, etc. So, the resolution isn't the entire story.

In the end, I don't care for 4K at all. I'm much more interested in 60+fps, HDR, and customization options.

As for the OP: If you are building a new system, 16GB of RAM should be the norm going forward. If you currently have a system with 8GB and you don't have issues with the games you play, there's nothing to change at the moment.

I've had 16GB of RAM since 2013 and I never needed it. Most I ever did with it is make a big RAM Disk and messed around with super fast transfers.
Gaming: i5-3570k/Z77/212 Evo/Corsair 500R/16GB 1600 CL8/RX 480 8GB/840 250gb, EVO 500gb, SG 3tb/Tachyon 650w/Win10

southrncomfortjm
Gerbil Elite

Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:25 am

The Egg wrote:
LostCat wrote:

Wow........just....wow.

*facepalm*

Can anyone tell me how to get a job with Microsoft's marketing team? I can show up to work belligerent drunk every day, and just blurt out the dumbest crap I can come up with. I'll be head of marketing in no time.

It all started with calling the third Xbox the Xbox One. They should have just called it the Xbox One Elite, or just left it as Xbox One Scorpio.
Gaming: i5-3570k/Z77/212 Evo/Corsair 500R/16GB 1600 CL8/RX 480 8GB/840 250gb, EVO 500gb, SG 3tb/Tachyon 650w/Win10

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:29 am

LostCat wrote:

Still not quite as bad as the Radeon X1900XTX, if more visible.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

The Egg

Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:30 am

southrncomfortjm wrote:
It all started with calling the third Xbox the Xbox One. They should have just called it the Xbox One Elite, or just left it as Xbox One Scorpio.

No......it started a loooong time ago, with their flagship product.

Me
XP
Vista

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:34 am

The Egg wrote:
southrncomfortjm wrote:

Me
XP
Vista

You forgot "NT". Which stood for "New Technology". I don't recall if "XP" actually stood for anything.

Edit: Oh, and OS/2, which was originally supposed to be a Microsoft product...
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

TwistedKestrel
Gerbil Elite

Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:46 am

To address the original post, don't forget that consoles have VRAM and system RAM welded together. By that measure gaming PCs are more than keeping up. I still don't think any PC game breaks more than 8GB of total system RAM usage, but I could be wrong

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I

Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:18 am

TwistedKestrel wrote:
To address the original post, don't forget that consoles have VRAM and system RAM welded together. By that measure gaming PCs are more than keeping up. I still don't think any PC game breaks more than 8GB of total system RAM usage, but I could be wrong

Funny but I've been seeing new AAA titles recommending 16GB of memory since last year.

DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:47 am

whm1974 wrote:
titles recommending 16GB of memory since last year.

If you've ever paid much attention to "minimum / recommended system specs" from game devs, you'll know that it's absolute garbage that should just be ignored most of the time.
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod

LostCat

Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:22 am

The Egg wrote:
Wow........just....wow.

*facepalm*

The only way I can even make sense of it is if they're considering this a 'Pro' model like with PS4 rather than an entirely new console. Or just want to keep people on the 'this can play everything the Xbox One can' page.

But yeah sheesh I don't know what the hell anyone is smoking anymore.
Meow.

superjawes

Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:34 am

Xbox One immediately became XBone, and we thought it couldn't get any sillier...

MS: "Hold my beer."

Xbox One X looks like one of those silly screen names: XboxOneX, xBoxOnex

It also looks like signing something with kisses and hugs: XOX

AND, you can even go with: XBOX

...okay, the last one might be a bit clever.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:56 am

The "XP" in Windows stood for "Experience"... supposedly.

16GB of RAM seems to be the standard for gaming desktops for at least a year now, although I still haven't seen 8GB PCs have any kind of problems even with the newest games.

LostCat

Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:14 pm

Vhalidictes wrote:
The "XP" in Windows stood for "Experience"... supposedly.

16GB of RAM seems to be the standard for gaming desktops for at least a year now, although I still haven't seen 8GB PCs have any kind of problems even with the newest games.

Depends on the game. Arkham Knight was one of a few that seemed a bit more stuttery with 8GB. I don't think it was the only one.
Meow.

DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:30 pm

LostCat wrote:
Arkham Knight was one of a few that seemed a bit more stuttery with 8GB

Wasn't Arkham Knight stuttery on ANY combination of hardware?
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod

LostCat

Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:01 pm

DPete27 wrote:
Wasn't Arkham Knight stuttery on ANY combination of hardware?

Yes and no? I played through it almost entirely on an A10-7850K with 8 gigs of RAM and a 290. It had its moments (especially in the car scenes) but mostly I could play it with details pushed up.

It was definitely a poster child for the need for DX12 or Vulkan, that's for sure.
Meow.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:14 am

The Egg wrote:

Me
XP
Vista
10 November
10 Anniversary
10 Creators
10 Fall Creators

FTFY, since 10 is the highest number ever, and Microsoft won't ever go back on their promises.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.