Personal computing discussed

Moderators: Flying Fox, Thresher

 
Thresher
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author
Posts: 1612
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Bloomington, IL
Contact:

Z370 and older CPUs

Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:05 am

I know that 8th gen intel processors need the 3 series chipsets. But will a 6th gen work in a Z370 board? I haven't seen anything about that.
 
the
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Elite
Posts: 829
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:26 am

Re: Z370 and older CPUs

Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:37 am

I've heard conflicting reports. The common theme of the negative ones is that it is going to be purely an artificial limitation imposed by Intel.

I think the reverse is true to the extent of DDR4 mother boards. I do think that Intel is dropping DDR3 support so there would be some socket 1151 boards that it wouldn't work on. The good news is that most Z170 and Z270 boards were DDR4 so this wouldn't be as big of an issue for end users. I think majority of the Sky Lake/Kaby Lake systems that use DDR3 were laptops.

https://www.pcper.com/news/Processors/A ... 0-Chipsets
Dual Opteron 6376, 96 GB DDR3, Asus KGPE-D16, GTX 970
Mac Pro Dual Xeon E5645, 48 GB DDR3, GTX 770
Core i7 3930K@4.2 Ghz, 32 GB DDR3, GA-X79-UP5-Wifi
Core i7 2600K@4.4 Ghz, 16 GB DDR3, GTX 970, GA-X68XP-UD4
 
ColeLT1
Silver subscriber
Gerbil First Class
Posts: 134
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:40 pm
Location: Jackson, MS

Re: Z370 and older CPUs

Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:14 am

Intel purportedly bringing back the Fully Integrated Voltage Regulator on Coffee, breaking compatibility with Sky/Kaby.
 
ozzuneoj
Gerbil Elite
Posts: 510
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:27 pm

Re: Z370 and older CPUs

Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:12 pm

ColeLT1 wrote:
Intel purportedly bringing back the Fully Integrated Voltage Regulator on Coffee, breaking compatibility with Sky/Kaby.

I've seen conjecture about this in forum posts and comments but no official word from Intel or even any rumors that it was true (aside from this post).
Desktop - i5 2500K@4.5Ghz - MSI P67A-G43 - 16GB DDR3-2133 - PNY GTX 970 - Samsung SM841 128GB
Laptop - Asus Q500A - Core i5 3210M - 8GB DDR3-1600 - 840 EVO 256GB - AUO 1080P
HTPC - i7 4790 - Asus B85 - 8GB DDR3-1600 - 64GB Crucial C300 - EVGA GTX 1050 Ti
 
ColeLT1
Silver subscriber
Gerbil First Class
Posts: 134
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:40 pm
Location: Jackson, MS

Re: Z370 and older CPUs

Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:46 pm

ozzuneoj wrote:
ColeLT1 wrote:
Intel purportedly bringing back the Fully Integrated Voltage Regulator on Coffee, breaking compatibility with Sky/Kaby.

I've seen conjecture about this in forum posts and comments but no official word from Intel or even any rumors that it was true (aside from this post).


Intel is tight lipped about it, October 5 is only 6 days away though.
 
Kougar
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Jedi
Posts: 1955
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:12 am
Location: Texas

Re: Z370 and older CPUs

Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:48 pm

I've seen reports that it's nothing more than an artificial firmware limitation. Doesn't look to be a FIVR issue at all at this point as it would have been stated/known by now.
 
Noinoi
Gerbil Team Leader
Posts: 223
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:31 pm
Location: Somewhere, anywhere!

Re: Z370 and older CPUs

Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:31 pm

Kougar wrote:
I've seen reports that it's nothing more than an artificial firmware limitation. Doesn't look to be a FIVR issue at all at this point as it would have been stated/known by now.


You're a bit late on this: it appears that what used to be reserved and unused on the original 1151 layout are now actually used for power.

I guess the extra two cores really did need some changes on the power delivery to the CPU.
i5-4590 | Kingston 2x8GB | Asus Strix GTX 970 | Asus Z97-Pro Gamer | Kingston Fury 240GB + WD Black 2TB + Blue 2TB | Win 10 FCU
 
Kougar
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Jedi
Posts: 1955
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:12 am
Location: Texas

Re: Z370 and older CPUs

Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:28 am

Noinoi wrote:
Kougar wrote:
I've seen reports that it's nothing more than an artificial firmware limitation. Doesn't look to be a FIVR issue at all at this point as it would have been stated/known by now.


You're a bit late on this: it appears that what used to be reserved and unused on the original 1151 layout are now actually used for power.


Ah, good to see. Not read anything on my usual sites or TR about it yet.
 
strangerguy
Gerbil First Class
Posts: 173
Joined: Fri May 06, 2011 8:46 am

Re: Z370 and older CPUs

Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:53 am

Even if Z370 supported the 6/7 series CPUs, the potential customer base buying those two together would be close to non-existent when the entire CFL lineup utterly trounces the old.
4790K 4.4GHz | Asus H81i-Plus | 16GB Crucial VLP DDR3 | GTX 1070 | 240GB Evo 840| 1TB M550 | 3TB Seagate 7200rpm | 650W Seasonic G | Corsair H100i + 250D
 
K-L-Waster
Gerbil First Class
Posts: 174
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:10 pm

Re: Z370 and older CPUs

Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:48 am

strangerguy wrote:
Even if Z370 supported the 6/7 series CPUs, the potential customer base buying those two together would be close to non-existent when the entire CFL lineup utterly trounces the old.


This plus as far as I can tell the z370 boards announced so far are virtually identical to existing z270 boards. Not seeing a lot of reason to put a 7 series CPU in one of these boards: even if it works, what do you gain?
Main System: i5-4670K, ASUS Sabertooth Z97, 16 GB RAM, GTX 980 TI, 1 TB CRUCIAL MX500, Corsair 550D

HTPC: I5-4460, ASUS H97M-E, 8 GB RAM, GTX 970, CRUCIAL 256GB MX100, SILVERSTONE GD09B
 
Krogoth
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Elder
Posts: 5350
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2003 3:20 pm
Location: somewhere on Core Prime
Contact:

Re: Z370 and older CPUs

Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:02 am

It has pretty much been confirmed that Coffee Lake/3 series motherboards use a different version of Socket 1151 (keyed differently) so it is not physically/electrically compatible with Skylake/Kaby Lake chips. It will probably be referred informally as Socket1151v2.

Intel did something similar with Socket 2011 during launch of Haswell-E chips/X99 platform. They changed the socket around slightly which made it no longer able to work with earlier Socket 2011 chips and vice versa. It became known as Socket2011v3.
Ivy Bridge i5-3570K@4.0Ghz, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, 2x4GiB of PC3-12800, Sapphire RX Vega 64, Corsair CX-600 and Fractal Refined R4 (W). Kentsfield Q6600@3Ghz, HD 4850 2x2GiB PC2-6400, Gigabyte EP45-DS4P, OCZ Modstream 700W, and PC-7B.
 
MileageMayVary
Gerbil First Class
Posts: 190
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:18 am
Location: Baltimore

Re: Z370 and older CPUs

Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:53 am

I've heard they are changing a lot of pins usages so if true, then I believe backwards compatibility to be nixed.
Main rig: Ryzen 1600@3.75GHz, R9 290@1050MHz, 16GB@2933MHz, 1080-1440-1080 Ultrasharps.
 
jihadjoe
Gerbil Elite
Posts: 597
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:34 am

Re: Z370 and older CPUs

Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:19 pm

Tried looking at a Z370 board on ASUS' cpu support website and it only showed 8 series CPUs. Looks like no dice for Sandy and Kaby on Z370.
https://www.asus.com/support/cpu_support

Image

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest