Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Thresher

Kalaxus
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

AB-350 Gaming Mobo no posted after Bios update

Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:26 am

New install of Ryzen 1500X on AB-350 Gaming board, I downloaded AppCenter and installed the utilities then restarted. Then I used AppCenter to update my F4 bios to F6 as there was memory issues reported with my RAM speed of 2666hz with F4. AppCenter said update was successful just have to restart, on restart get black screen no signal and USB won't power keyboard but works with mouse? Even swapping USB ports. HD is accessed on power up but immediately stops clearly not posting.
-Tried reset cmos using jumper and removing battery to no avail
- tried to get bios to use back up bios since has dual bios, but holding in pow/res didn't work neither did shut off at psu, hold power button wait to cycle then press power.
- tried no battery boot but all failed in exact same matter no difference
Is board borked now? Crazy their own software can do this crap to itself

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Re: AB-350 Gaming Mobo no posted after Bios update

Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:43 am

Was the system plugged in when you tried to reset the CMOS? According to the manual it should be unplugged.

It's possible that it's just a bad BIOS flash. If that's the case, the board has Gigabyte's DualBIOS where the secondary one should just fire up. That'd be crazy if the software could just brick the board entirely when it's designed with a second chip to prevent exactly that. O_o
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Kalaxus
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:05 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
Was the system plugged in when you tried to reset the CMOS? According it should be unplugged.

It's possible that it's just a bad BIOS flash. If that's the case, the board has Gigabyte's DualBIOS where the secondary one should just fire up. That'd be crazy if the software could just brick the board entirely when it's designed with a second chip to prevent exactly that. O_o

Yes power was off, attempted a few removing battery for varying times didn't read about needing to short battery leads to though trying that now and have a bootable USB flash with F4 bios getting formatted right now, but it's going super slow hoping my sister's comp isn't bricking my flash drive all instructions for forcing backup bios to recover itself failed so hopefully this works

Kalaxus
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:19 pm

Gigabyte support says I'm SOL and to RMA the board. 2 bad boards back to back. Steer clear of AB350-Gaming Gigabyte boards apparently. Looking into Asus and MSI for replacement so sad

LostCat
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:35 pm

Just as a side note, F6 isn't even the latest UEFI build.

I know, I'm not helping. :(
Meow.

Kougar
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:09 pm

If Gigabyte said to RMA I guess it's toast. But this was exactly the entire point of what dual BIOS is supposed to prevent. Flashing one BIOS shouldn't affect the backup BIOS.

Did you try booting with just a single memory module and swapping them? I can't believe the backup BIOS wouldn't work unless you somehow saved a bad settings config to it and needed to clear both? I don't even remember how that works, but it's a lengthy process just to flash the backup BIOS. I'd really like to know what happened, because this defeats the purpose of buying hardware with a backup BIOS entirely.

Kalaxus
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:05 pm

Kougar wrote:
If Gigabyte said to RMA I guess it's toast. But this was exactly the entire point of what dual BIOS is supposed to prevent. Flashing one BIOS shouldn't affect the backup BIOS.

Did you try booting with just a single memory module and swapping them? I can't believe the backup BIOS wouldn't work unless you somehow saved a bad settings config to it and needed to clear both? I don't even remember how that works, but it's a lengthy process just to flash the backup BIOS. I'd really like to know what happened, because this defeats the purpose of buying hardware with a backup BIOS entirely.

Yes, I tried single ram and swapping them, as well as no ram and attempted again on the slot at the other end just incase the ram slots were installed backwards. I can only guess now, but it seems like the restart after the bios update somehow falsely read as a successful boot and which caused it to back up the bad bios. Not sure how since it didn't seem to get anywhere near posting but can't see any other logical cause. The board was also just confirmed bad by Amazon return department, thankfully; otherwise they had planned to deduct 15% from my return if they found fault was physical defect caused by user negligence.

MOSFET
Gerbil XP

Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:22 pm

Did you ever just let it sit there with a blank screen for a while, like 5 - 10 minutes? My Asus X370 sometimes likes to come up after a flash and do some more flashing on its own. Settings are almost always reset when this happens, and previously resolved incompatibilities (RAM speeds, boot orders, PCIe add-on cards) sometimes come back because of the blanked settings.
Be careful on inserting this (or any G34 chip) into the socket. Once you pull that restraining lever, it is either a good install or a piece of silicon jewelry.