Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Thresher

WA3ERQ
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

ASUS H110-Plus with PCI

Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:45 pm

Can anyone direct me to a manufacturer that still produces conventional OCI cards? My recent purchase of a gaming PC with great specs gas three PCI ports and I can’t unders why they are using this older technology in a new PC.

Thanks
Jim

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: ASUS H110-Plus with PCI

Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:05 pm

That's a seriously oddball motherboard for a current platform like LGA 1151. Not many people need 3 PCI slots any more, at least not in consumer applications. (For niche markets like industrial control you still see PCI or occasionally even ISA slots, but that's a whole 'nother thing.)

What additional functionality do you need that the onboard peripherals aren't providing, and which can't be added via the pair of 1x PCIe slots? (I'm assuming the x16 is already taken up by a GPU since you said it's a gaming PC.)

If you've already filled up the existing PCIe slots and need additional functionality that could be handled by a classic PCI card, my suggestion would be to search Amazon and eBay. You're probably going to be limited to mostly off-brand or secondhand cards, since (as you've correctly surmised), PCI is now obsolete.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Wirko
Gerbil Team Leader

Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:32 pm

Old people put old PCI sound cards in new PCs (I did that) or new PCI cards in old PCs (you can find several sorts, including SATA controllers, which I find amusing). No one puts new cards in new PCs, even if there is a PCI slot.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:56 pm

Yeah, seriously... unless you've got some oddball old special-function PCI card you rely on, or a high-end PCI soundcard you just can't bear to replace, there's not much need for PCI slots in a typical PC these days.

Aether
Gerbil First Class

Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:20 am

just brew it! wrote:
That's a seriously oddball motherboard for a current platform like LGA 1151.

I saw that it's also sporting a parallel connector, so it must have been designed for users needing compatibility with old hardware.

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:52 pm

Aether wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

I saw that it's also sporting a parallel connector, so it must have been designed for users needing compatibility with old hardware.

Missed that when looking at the specs the first time around. Yeah, that's odd. This motherboard seems to be specifically aimed at supporting retro hardware.

TwistedKestrel
Gerbil Elite

Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:29 pm

Aether wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

Holy crap, a parallel port! No FDD header tho :P