Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Thresher

Darthutos
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Motherboard overheating

Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:59 pm

Good morning,

My HTPC/NAS just shut down while watching home made movie.

About the system

Case Silverstone HTPC case. position vertical.
CPU i7 5960X not overclocked.
Motherboard MSI X99A SLI Plus.
Memory Gskills
GPU one Zotac Nvidia 970
HDD 2x8GB in RAID 1, 3x4GB in RAID 5, 1x 6TB not raided. The RAIDS are software RAID by Ubuntu dmraid Ubuntu is 16.04 LTS.
PSU Seagate Prime 800 W.
Cooling liquid cooled Corsair 80 with industrial noctua 1000rpm fan installed on one side.

So while watching the video, I notice the video would pause, but the running time is still going, while the audio is stilil going. A bit later there would be green dots and the video would catch up.
An hour or so into the film, video stops completely while the sound goes weird like bu bu bu bu bu bu bu for maybe 15 seconds and the system shut down.
So I figure no sweat, happens all the time and push the power button again. Fans spin for half a minute and shuts down. I touch the base of the case (Where the CPU is on the mobo. and the memory. It's warm to hot to the touch.) The Postion where the HDDs are cool to the touch. I put my fingers on the liquid coling sink and it's tad warmer than the HDD, but nowhere near the mobo.
Same with where the Graphic Card is located.

TL;DR:
System shuts down and won't start. Motherboard overheat where the CPU and RAM is located and nowhere else. Liquid Cooler cool to the touch. HDD and GPU cool to the touch.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Re: Motherboard overheating

Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:01 pm

VRMs aren't getting enough airflow.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

mcarson09
Gerbil

Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:09 pm

When I do a search for Silverstone HTPC case many models show up:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Silvers ... LUpp9v525M:

Which model do you have?

There's a reason horizontally mounted rack cases have fans and in the front and back of the motherboard: chipset and VRM cooling. If you want a quick solution you can try to take the top panel off the case and add 180mm-200mm fan to add more airflow with minimal noise.
Ignorance is not an excuse.

End User
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:26 pm

- power off the system
- if the system is in an enclosed space move it (temporarily) to an open space for testing
- remove as much of the PC case as possible
- let the system cool to room temp
- direct an external fan to blow air over the motherboard
- boot the system
- check temps (in BIOS or via the OS using a temp utility (Core Temp))
- if all is well at this point power off the external fan and let the system run for 30 min while playing a video
- if all is well at this point put the case back on the HTPC and let the system run for 30 min while playing a video
- if all is well at this point you may have bad airflow where you normally keep the HTPC

Darthutos
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:58 pm

To answer the case question:
It's a silverstone gd08
http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=331
I chose the case because it was the only one feasible with 8 hdd place inside. The plan originally was to put it inside one of the slots in the wood home theater set up. But there's actually not enough space, so it's put like a regular tower position.

Anyway, it looks like there's not enough cooling case wise. (The only fan spinning is actually the Liquid cooler fan. It's a spider web inside)I'll probably just budget for a spacious tower.
Overheating chipset and the VRM sounds like indeed the problem.

Thanks everyone.

P.S.
The system turns on now and I was able to finish the video. But system sluggish.
I'm going to let it cool for a couple of hours at least.

DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:04 pm

Is this a new build or has the system been functioning properly for a while?
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod

Darthutos
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:45 pm

RE: How old is the computer.

This particular set up is maybe half a year to one year. (system installation)
However, the parts that made up the HTPC/NAS has been in various computers for maybe two or three years. E.g. The HDDs are about 3 years old. The GPU 2 years old. The CPU about a year and a half, and PSU about 4 months, etc.

DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:14 pm

Reason I asked is because it's not normal for a computer that has otherwise been operating without problems to suddenly decide to overheat unless something changed (bumped something inside the case, fan not working, new component, new software/update,BIOS, environmental change, etc etc)
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod

End User
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:28 am

If the system has been running hot for 6-12 months then something may have overcooked. How well does it run in a well cooled state (see my recommendations in an earlier post)? If it runs fine when cooled properly then I would set about improving the case airflow.

Darthutos
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:55 pm

To be honest the system has always been a headache.
When it was in a horizontal htpc position, a slight bump would either a disconnect the usb 3.0, need to reset CMOS, or dislodge so that the Blu Ray Drive won't open, SATA ports get disconnected, etc.
One time the dimm sticks turned bad said system had 56 GB instead of 64. So I breadboard it in order to figure out which one it is (Put one, system run, put another one, so on, lo and behold all 8 dimm stick were put in, and the system run, with 64 GB.
Memtest turns up nothing.

This is the last straw.

I am going to budget for a new case, some hdd to get the stuff out of the NAS, and forget about this silverstone case ever existed.