Personal computing discussed

Moderators: Flying Fox, Thresher

balzi
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Old M478A Pro SB_LED flashing.

Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:52 am

Hi All

Wow.. I haven't logged in here for years. But it was the second place I'm trying after ASUS support seems oddly tied down.
A few kids, changing jobs, and a very stable PC for the longest time (8 years) have meant i didn't keep up my TR appearances. How is everyone?

So remember that stable PC I had for ages? Well it died a few weeks back. I didn't have time investigate, kids had homework, and sport, and the Christmas happened.
So today I pulled out some old parts to start checking things out.
My rig runs an ASUS M478A Pro holding an Athlon X2 (around 2.2GHz from memory) - no overclocking.
Gigabyte Graphics (upgraded from Radeon 4670 to something else)
Antec case with Antec TruePower 430W
4GB memory
Win 7 Pro

I was pretty sure the PSU was the dead bit as I got no post or anything. I might have had a standby LED on. Can't recall.
I removed the PSU and put it in my old 8RDA+ rig to see what would happen.
Yep, nothing happened, must be dead PSU.
I took my old Antec SmartPower 350W from that rig and tried to fire up my current machine to prove that nothing else was dead and that it would still post and boot and all that.
One showstopper - the old PSU was not ATX24 compatible. it did have the AUX 12V 4p plug but not the 20way plug extension, and no 6way PCIe peripheral power.
But I tried it and the CPU fan spun up, other things fired into life, and it generally sounded like things would go, except the video output wouldn't work. I did not bother to remove the GC and use onboard power and I suspected the lack of full ATX24 support would prevent it getting very far anyway.

nevertheless, I was convinced that the PSU just needed a replacement and all would fire up.

I bought a Gamemax PSU (GM-ECO600) today for A$60 and plugged it in. I was so confident I was wrapping cables into place and tying them up.. but I was mistaken to go this far - applying power to the PSU showed a flashing SB_LED (apparently this indicates South_bridge +5V rail health)
The link below suggests that my Mobo must have a short or some such thing, but I took my spare 350W PSU and tried it again.. yep, solid LED again.
https://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20110827162210133&board_id=1&model=P5Q-EM&page=1&SLanguage=en-us

I put the new GAMEMAX PSU in my old rig and it seemed to behave well enough. Maybe i should use that rig to measure the rail voltages?

I called the SB_LED the standby LED earlier, if that clarifies something.

What do you think? I will replace the mobo (and maybe processor) if I can prove that it's dead. I wonder if this cheap PSU is just a dud or running loose specs.
Japanese officer from Goons: "Honourable English Soldier - have unexplectedly run out of ammunition, could please borrow two boxes?"
Bloodnok: "What? what? .. No!!! You haven't returned our lawn-mower yet!?!"

balzi
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Re: Old M478A Pro SB_LED flashing.

Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:07 am

I pulled my GC, attached the monitor to the onboard DVI port, unplugged everything except the PWR button header and a PS2 keyboard and it posted.

I am trying to attach an image here.

Japanese officer from Goons: "Honourable English Soldier - have unexplectedly run out of ammunition, could please borrow two boxes?"

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:25 am

Heya

I wouldn't assume the new PSU is good. It's not 80+ certified, and if they're lying about the certification they're probably lying about the current ratings. Even if you believe their lies those ratings are closer to those of a proper 380W PSU and not a 600W PSU. That thing would just explode if it tried to deliver 600W, most likely!

At any rate, use of the 80 Plus logo on power supplies that haven't been certified is grounds to have certification revoked across their entire range. Sadly, in China, enforcing certification standards is like pissing on a forest fire....

My guess (and it's only a guess) is that your original 350W PSU has degraded to the point that it cannot provide the power your system needs anymore, and that the new PSU is so bad that it's providing even less power than your degraded 350W PSU! Can you get a refund and buy a better PSU from a company that isn't a total PoS? In the meantime, running on the IGP with the old PSU seems like the smartest choice to avoid having a potentially catastrophic new PSU failure kill all the rest of the hardware.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

DPete27
Silver subscriber
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:35 am

I hate to say it (because I agree it's probably the PSU to blame), but you might want to think about an upgrade. Even something like a G4560 for A$90, mobo w/ 4 RAM slots for A$105, and 8GB RAM for A$170 is going to blow that old system out of the water.

I like to recommend mobos with 4 RAM slots because they give the opportunity to add RAM later. Mobos with 2 RAM slots are a bit cheaper, if you go that route, consider getting a single 8GB stick of RAM to start so that you still have the ability to add later.

FYI, the Corsair CX450 for A$70 is a good budget-level PSU, or the CX450M is the modular equivalent for a little extra $.

**Disclaimer: I just picked a random Australian e-tailer to give myself pricing ideas. Didn't look very hard for deals.
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod

balzi
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:45 pm

My brother in law and I discovered that the new power supply does not provide -5V on Pin 20 (the white lead). The lead is not present.
Is it likely that this is the problem?

I can certainly take the PSU back. I only bought it yesterday and have a receipt.

The reason I do not want to continue running the machine on the spare PSU is that it is not ATX24 and I don't know what damage I will do leaving it running that way long term.

The previous main PSU is dead. I did not even get a standby LED with that one.

balzi
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:47 pm

[quote="DPete27"]I hate to say it (because I agree it's probably the PSU to blame), but you might want to think about an upgrade. Even something like a G4560 for A$90, mobo w/ 4 RAM slots for A$105, and 8GB RAM for A$170 is going to blow that old system out of the water.
[\quote]
I had considered an upgrade. I can't really afford it right now but if I absolutely need to I'll just have to make it work. Thanks for the ideas.
I will need a PSU anyway, so I'm starting there.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:21 pm

balzi wrote:
My brother in law and I discovered that the new power supply does not provide -5V on Pin 20 (the white lead). The lead is not present.

Modern-ish (as in made in the past 10+ years) motherboards don't use the -5V rail. While your motherboard is old, it isn't that old. The -5V rail was dropped from the ATX PSU spec in 2004.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

balzi
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:55 pm

just brew it! wrote:
balzi wrote:

Modern-ish (as in made in the past 10+ years) motherboards don't use the -5V rail. While your motherboard is old, it isn't that old. The -5V rail was dropped from the ATX PSU spec in 2004.

Thanks Just brew it. happy to see a familiar face around here.

Can I assume that the general consensus is that I should return that Chinese PSU ASAP?

edit: I've got my money back. Thanks for all your help everyone.

balzi
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:59 am

Hi folks

this is just a courtest note to thank you for your advice a few weeks back.
I took the PSU back and they refunded my money and seemed genuinely surprised that the PSU didn't work.

I ordered a Antec 380W PSU from ebay for $10 less and I'm typing on my machine as we speak.

It was a great thing. Though I'll keep my eye out for upgrades to CPU/RAM/Mobo core sometimes this year.

thanks again
Matt