Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Thresher

Darthutos
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

RAM question while rendering video

Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:18 pm

HI all,

I'm wondering if this is the correct section of the board.

A member of my family have the below system

i7 6700k cpu not overclocked. skylake
graphic card is gtx 1080 reference card.
memory patriot 32gb speed unknown.
ssd samsung 850evo. 1tb

So they are rendering video at 2160x1440 with animation. The system is using near 100 percent memory and "normal cpu" usage.

Is it normal?

Or do they need more memory?

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: RAM question while rendering video

Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:23 pm

Impossible to say if it is normal from the limited info provided.

How is the "100 percent memory" stat being determined? All modern OSes will try to use close to 100% of RAM, with anything that isn't actively being used by the running applications utilized for disk cache (and released for use by the applications as needed).

What does "normal CPU" usage even mean? We don't even know what application is being used to do the rendering.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

caconym
Gerbil

Re: RAM question while rendering video

Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:09 pm

Without knowing what software they're using, that does sound pretty typical for rendering video. Presumably the size of the footage on disk is bigger than the available RAM, so it's being loaded into memory continually to stay ahead of the CPU. Towards the end of the job you should see the RAM usage decrease as the last of the stored video is pushed through the renderer.

If they want to perform other tasks while rendering, there should be a "memory usage limit" setting in the video editor that will leave some RAM free for other applications.
3D art desktop: [email protected] - 32gb@2400 - 500gb m.2 850 EVO - GTX 1070 + 750ti (for PhysX) - Noctua NH-U9B - Phanteks P400
2D art laptop: Thinkpad Yoga - i7 4500u - 8gb RAM - 128gb SSD - way too many different Wacom EMR styluses