Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Thresher

DarkenDracco
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Need help identifying burnt chip on motherboard

Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:25 am

I was install a some new case fans and graphics card when I noticed one the chips on my motherboard looked like it had been fried . The motherboard works fine but i m concerned the this might cause further issues down the road. Can someone help me identify what this chip is and what it does.
126.photobucket.com/albums/p98/Wraith_named_Michael/IMG_20180725_080201.jpg
Motherboard: 370 gaming Pro carbon
Processer I7 8700k

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Re: Need help identifying burnt chip on motherboard

Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:41 am

I get HTTP 503 errors (Service Unavailable) when I try to view your pic. Will check again later to see if it is accessible. Or you could re-post it on an image hosting site that works.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:06 am

Pic loads now.

Looks like it is the PWM controller for the adjacent fan header. As a guess, at some point you either shorted that header or plugged in a fan that drew more current than the PWM chip could handle. Or maybe a fan died, shorted out, and took the fan header with it.

If you plug a fan into that header, does it still spin? And if so, are you able to control the fan speed?

Other than possibly making that fan header unusable, it is unlikely to affect overall operation of the motherboard.

ludi
Gold subscriber
Lord High Gerbil

Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:04 pm

I had trouble getting through also, finally loaded the photo. For anyone else who is curious, here it is on a different host:

To add to what JBI said, I wouldn't even bother trying to repair it, because chances are good you don't just have a burned chip, but also damaged traces down in one or more of the motherboard layers. Not only will a new IC probably not fix it, but heating the traces and lifting the pads might actually create new problems.

If the board is still in warranty, you could try applying for an RMA replacement.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

JustAnEngineer
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:26 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Looks like it is the PWM controller for the adjacent fan header.... Other than possibly making that fan header unusable, it is unlikely to affect overall operation of the motherboard.
I agree with all of that.
i7-9700K, NH-D15, Z390M Pro4, 32 GiB, RX Vega64, Define Mini-C, SSR-850PX, C32HG70+U2407, RK-9000BR, MX518

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:26 am

RMA if it's in warranty
Just use SYS FAN 2 if it's out of warranty.

Modern PWM headers are designed to provide plenty of current so that was almost certainly a short from somewhere. Commonly shorts happen when fan cables are routed over a sharp edge in a cheap case and the cable insulation ends up being sliced open so that you get a ground fault.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

Waco
Gold subscriber
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:25 pm

Agreed on the above. If you're not using (or planning to use) the fan header I'd just ignore it. It's likely you wouldn't get that repaired under RMA since they could easily blame user error.
Desktop: X570 Gaming X | 3900X | 32 GB | Alphacool Eisblock Radeon VII | Heatkiller R3 | Samsung 4K 40" | 1 TB SX8200 Pro + 2 TB 660p + 2 TB SATA SSD
NAS: 1950X | Designare EX | 32 GB ECC | 7x8 TB RAIDZ2 | 8x2 TB RAID10 | FreeNAS | ZFS | LSI SAS

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:04 pm

FWIW another possible failure scenario would be forcing the fan connector onto the header offset by one pin. Yes, it's keyed to prevent that, but the key bends if you push hard enough, and I could see someone maybe doing that since sometimes they take a fair bit of pressure even when they're lined up properly.

I once did something similar years ago, with a keyed floppy power connector; the wires between the PSU and the floppy drive got hot enough that the insulation melted. It can be hard to figure out when you've got things lined up right inside a cluttered case where you're doing things by feel; the grounded out floppy power connector taught me that you really want to try and get a visual on any connector where it isn't completely impossible to force the connector on the wrong way.

Another good one is grabbing the 6-pin PCIe power lead instead of the 4-pin CPU power lead by mistake, and plugging it into the CPU power socket on the motherboard. The keying does not prevent this, and it results in a ground-out condition on the +12V rail.