Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Thresher

Astrobooty
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

I know nothing of PC building, need little advice on graphics card and motherboard?

Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:22 am

Hello, I have an issue with my old GTX670 having dead pixels, so i want to buy a new graphics card, but i dont know if i need to buy a whole new set to come with my new graphics card to be compatible. The graphics card i want is a GTX1050. I bought a pre-built PC. It's called "Digital Storm Ode V2 Level 4" I saw the motherboard was "Intel Z77" but it wasn't specific enough to be compatible with anything for an upgrade. I'm on a budget, so buying the cheap efficient stuff would be helpful. I usually use my PC for gaming like Fortnite, Overwatch, and Destiny 2. Any recommendations with a budget upgrade???

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Re: I know nothing of PC building, need little advice on graphics card and motherboard?

Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:11 am

The Intel Z77 chipset was for the LGA1155 socket. That was compatible with Intel Ivy Bridge and Sandy Bridge processors sold between the beginning of 2011 and the middle of 2013. Those old systems use DDR3 memory.

If you're sure that your dead pixels are on the graphics card and not the monitor and all that you need is a new graphics card, a $170 GeForce GTX1050Ti 4GB or $150 Radeon RX 570 4GB graphics card should work with your old PC. I do not recommend a new gaming graphics card with less than 4 GiB of video memory.

If you want to upgrade CPU or motherboard or system memory, you will need to replace all three of these components together.
One example would be to match a socket AM4 motherboard with the AMD B450 chipset (e.g.: $85 Gigabyte B450 Aorus M),
AMD Ryzen CPU (e.g.: $160 Ryzen 5 2600, including heatsink & fan),
and 2 each 8 GiB DDR4 DIMMs for memory (e.g.: $105 DDR4-3000).
Those pieces total to $350.

A combination using the same memory with a $275 Intel Core i5-9600K CPU, $30 Arctic Freezer 13CO cooler and a $125 ASRock Z390M Pro4 motherboard would cost $535.
Last edited by JustAnEngineer on Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

DragonDaddyBear
Gerbil Elite

Re: I know nothing of PC building, need little advice on graphics card and motherboard?

Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:00 am

Your LCD is far more likely to have a few pixels not working than your GPU. Have you tried your video output from your motherboard on your screen to see if dead pixels are still there? If you don't have another video output you can try any device (phone, DVD, etc) to see if you can spot a dead pixel.

DreadCthulhu
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:04 am

As others have said, make sure it is the video card that is defective, not the monitor. If it is the monitor, there are all sorts of options depending on your budget, size preference, aspect-ratio preference, whether you want greater than 60hz refresh rates, and so on. Slickdeal Monitor Deals would be a good place to start.

If it is the video card, then all you need to buy is a new video card; the rest of your system will be compatible with new cards, and should be adequate for those games you mentioned. Most budget friendly cards should drop right into your system, though do check your power supply if you find a Vega on sale or something and go with that. Right now, in the under $200 range I would recommend a Radeon RX 570 for $150 (or sometimes less) or snapping up an 8 GB RX Radeon 580 when they hit the $200 marks, like this XFX Model. The RX 570 is notably faster than the GTX 1050 Ti cards of the same price; likewise when comparing RX 580 with the 3 GB GTX 1060s selling for the same price. The Radeons also have a pretty good game bundle going on as well, and if you upgrade your monitor in the future, well Freesync monitors are almost always cheaper than comparable Gsync ones.
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. The competent use violence well before last resorts are necessary.

If violence isn't solving your problems, then you aren't using enough of it.

ptsant
Gerbil XP

Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:38 am

If you are really on a budget, the RX570 is probably the best budget card out there and is definitely faster than the 1050.

See :
https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/N ... 3650vs3924

If you plan to upgrade the whole system you will need lots of stuff, including CPU, M/B and memory (quite expensive right now). You can't just change the motherboard and it won't really improve much if you replace a Z77 motherboard with another Z77 motherboard. Alternatively, if you need more CPU power you could, instead of changing M/B, find a faster in-socket upgrade. I don't know what CPU you have, but if you don't have a high-end model, the Sandy Bridge 2500K would be a cheap option used from ebay. It can manage almost any game.

As other said, my advice is to get the RX570 then, if still not happy, wait until you have some more money for a M/B+CPU+RAM upgrade.

DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:56 am

DreadCthulhu wrote:
an 8 GB RX Radeon 580 when they hit the $200 marks, like this XFX Model for $180 after MIR w/ 2 free games

That's a very good value.

OTOH, an RX580 will give you 60fps at 1080p on high/ultra settings in most/all games that are far more demanding than Fortnite and Overwatch. Giving up 10% percent of that performance for a $130 RX570 8GB is a solid option.
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod

Voldenuit
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:56 am

DragonDaddyBear wrote:
Your LCD is far more likely to have a few pixels not working than your GPU. Have you tried your video output from your motherboard on your screen to see if dead pixels are still there? If you don't have another video output you can try any device (phone, DVD, etc) to see if you can spot a dead pixel.

This. I think OP needs to qualify what they mean by "dead pixels". Perhaps post a picture of them and a description of when they show up.

Dead pixels from a bad LCD look different than memory corruption blocks from a faulty video card.

Until we know more, getting a new video card may not solve the underlying problem.

Example faulty graphics card:

Example dead pixel:
Wind, Sand and Stars.

Astrobooty
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:25 pm

the two pictures provided, i have the faulty graphic card picture. Like, for any color with red or a peachy color would give me this weird pixel-ly shading like exactly in the picture. if that makes sense.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:55 pm

Have you tried swapping out your video cable or plugging it into a different output on your graphics card?
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

Astrobooty
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:58 pm

heres an example of my issue: https://media.discordapp.net/attachment ... height=495

any color of white, red, or peachy color to it has this weird pixelated effect to it, like in the photo. I was reading upon it on other forums and saw some people say its the monitor, and the others saying its the graphics card. Those weird pixel would only appear on said colors i've stated and follow it if i were to watch a video or play a game. Any idea what the issue is???

Voldenuit
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:04 am

Astrobooty wrote:
heres an example of my issue: https://media.discordapp.net/attachment ... height=495

any color of white, red, or peachy color to it has this weird pixelated effect to it, like in the photo. I was reading upon it on other forums and saw some people say its the monitor, and the others saying its the graphics card. Those weird pixel would only appear on said colors i've stated and follow it if i were to watch a video or play a game. Any idea what the issue is???

Are you connected over VGA? Sounds like a single channel is getting a bad signal, if only red-based colors (white is red + blue + green) is affected. Try switching inputs and or cables and see if that fixes the problem. If you're on VGA, try HDMI. If on HDMI, try VGA, and see if the problem gets better/worse.
Wind, Sand and Stars.