Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Thresher

ChaseKerr
Gerbil
Topic Author

Noobie Upgrading Motherboard

Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:45 pm

So I've had this computer built for me a few years ago and I knew nothing about computers whatsoever. And I'm realizing it's extremely behind for recent games. I've looked up a few things to try and upgrade it, I've upgraded the ram and graphics card, and my friend gave me his old processor (intel i7-4790) just because he didn't want it, and my motherboard's socket isn't compatible. What I need to know is which motherboard to get... I'll put my specs here, and I might be able to find any information I missed.

Current/Old CPU - Intel Core i3-4310 3.40GHz
New CPU - Intel Core i7-4790 3.60GHz
Old Motherboard - ASRock H87M Pro4
Memory - DDR3, Dual Channel, 16GB, 799.6 MHz
GPU - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti

Thanks, and again, I'm not that informed when it comes to computers, so go easy on the computer lingo.

mikewinddale
Gerbil First Class

Re: Noobie Upgrading Motherboard

Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:10 pm

Wait, I'm not sure why you think your current motherboard doesn't support the new CPU.

Your Asrock H87M Pro4 has an H87 chipset and supports "Supports New 4th and 4th Generation Intel® Xeon® / Core™ i7 / i5 / i3 / Pentium® / Celeron® Processors (Socket 1150)."

The new CPU you were given is a 4th generation Core processor that fits into the 1150 socket.

So it seems like they ought to be compatible. Can you explain why you think they're not? Maybe I'm missing something?

jihadjoe
Gerbil Elite

Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:21 pm

Maybe you just need to update the BIOS. Your i7-4790 is in the CPU support list for your motherboard, but it requires BIOS version P2.0 at a minimum.

ChaseKerr
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:28 pm

I thought the CPU was compatable, but when I put it in the socket, the computer doesn't turn on, the fans start up, and the leds turn on, but no display. It might have something to do with the BIOS, but I honestly don't know anything about that... And I'm pretty sure I was delicate enough with the new CPU, so it's not a physical problem..

mikewinddale
Gerbil First Class

Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:31 pm

jihadjoe wrote:
Maybe you just need to update the BIOS. Your i7-4790 is in the CPU support list for your motherboard, but it requires BIOS version P2.0 at a minimum.

That could be the problem!

Reboot your computer and look for information on the POST screen (the one with all the white text on a black background) about your current BIOS version. Tell us what it says. If you have an old BIOS version, then that's probably your problem.

Anyway, if you go to your motherboard's page, there's a tab for BIOS updates, leading to this page.

You'll see the latest BIOS version is 2.60. Go with that.

You'll also see there are three different versions of version 2.60: "Instant Flash," "DOS," and "Windows." Those just refer to three different installation methods. You'll see an (i) symbol next to each one. Click it, and you'll see instructions for how to install that particular version. I think the Windows one looks like the easiest, and Instant Flash looks like the second easiest. The Windows version is an EXE you just execute within Windows, and it will update your BIOS. With the Instant Flash, you put the new BIOS on a USB flash drive, reboot the computer, press one of the F-keys, and update the BIOS from the flash drive. The DOS version looks like the hardest, because you'd have to install DOS to a flash drive, and I doubt you have DOS installation media sitting around.

So start with the Windows version and see if it successfully updates your BIOS. If it does, then you should be able to try the new CPU without a problem.

mikewinddale
Gerbil First Class

Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:32 pm

Also, if the POST screen doesn't tell you your BIOS version, you might have to go into the BIOS settings configuration page, as if you're changing the settings. Snoop around and find where it tells you your current BIOS version.

ChaseKerr
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:40 pm

So when I rebooted, I didn't see the POST screen, but I checked msinfo32 and my SMBIOS version is 2.7? and my BIOS Version is: American Megatrends Inc. P1.50, 7/5/2013

mikewinddale
Gerbil First Class

Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:47 pm

ChaseKerr wrote:
So when I rebooted, I didn't see the POST screen, but I checked msinfo32 and my SMBIOS version is 2.7? and my BIOS Version is: American Megatrends Inc. P1.50, 7/5/2013

Yup, you just need to update your BIOS! So go try that Windows installer I mentioned.

ChaseKerr
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:18 pm

I'm having trouble updating my BIOS, between having windows 8 and winrar, the files I download don't seem to work. Either that or I have no idea what I'm doing and I'm totally messing up the instructions. I download the windows download, and I don't see BIOSfilename.exe. Instead I see H87MP4260.exe, which is similar to the model of my motherboard also...

mikewinddale
Gerbil First Class

Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:38 pm

ChaseKerr wrote:
I'm having trouble updating my BIOS, between having windows 8 and winrar, the files I download don't seem to work. Either that or I have no idea what I'm doing and I'm totally messing up the instructions. I download the windows download, and I don't see BIOSfilename.exe. Instead I see H87MP4260.exe, which is similar to the model of my motherboard also...

Oh, H87MP4260.exe is the file you want to execute.

When the instructions say, "Click BIOSfilename.exe," they mean "whatever the BIOS is called.exe." Every new BIOS version has a new filename, so they wanted to keep the instructions general.

If you look at the screenshot in their instructions, they say to "Click BIOSfilename.exe" but the picture is of "H87Pro4130.exe." So "BIOSfilename.exe" is just a generic placeholder.

So just unzip H87MP4260.exe and execute it.

ChaseKerr
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:44 pm

mikewinddale wrote:
ChaseKerr wrote:

Oh, H87MP4260.exe is the file you want to execute.

When the instructions say, "Click BIOSfilename.exe," they mean "whatever the BIOS is called.exe." Every new BIOS version has a new filename, so they wanted to keep the instructions general.

If you look at the screenshot in their instructions, they say to "Click BIOSfilename.exe" but the picture is of "H87Pro4130.exe." So "BIOSfilename.exe" is just a generic placeholder.

So just unzip H87MP4260.exe and execute it.

Any idea why it wouldn't auto-update? Everything goes smooth, I get to updating, and instead of autoupdating, I end up at the BIOS menu page, and nothing happens...

mikewinddale
Gerbil First Class

Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:52 pm

ChaseKerr wrote:
Any idea why it wouldn't auto-update? Everything goes smooth, I get to updating, and instead of autoupdating, I end up at the BIOS menu page, and nothing happens...

Can you describe more precisely? Which of these specific steps failed to occur? Was it step 5 that didn't occur?
Last edited by mikewinddale on Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mikewinddale
Gerbil First Class

Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:53 pm

Did you make sure to run the EXE as an administrator?

ChaseKerr
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:54 pm

mikewinddale wrote:
Did you make sure to run the EXE as an administrator?

yep

mikewinddale
Gerbil First Class

Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:54 pm

Run msinfo32 again and see what BIOS version it reports now.

ChaseKerr
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:14 pm

still says 2.7. Like I said, i didn't see it auto-update.

mikewinddale
Gerbil First Class

Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:19 pm

Weird.

You might have to try the Instant Flash method.

As it says on ASRock's page, format a USB drive as FAT32, put the Instant Flash BIOS file on the drive, and reboot your computer.

Then, press either F2 or F6 (because the instructions say there's two methods).

When you reboot, if you don't see the POST screen, then it might mean you have quick POST on, which means it goes through POST too fast for you to see any prompts. If that's the case, just mash the F2 or F6 key repeatedly. Even if there's no visual prompt, the F2 or F6 keypress should still register. Just keep pressing it as fast as you can until something happens.

ChaseKerr
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:37 pm

Ok! So I believe that worked... checked mcinfo and my BIOS version is P2.60. So I think I'm ready to drop in the new CPU right?

mikewinddale
Gerbil First Class

Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:48 pm

Yup, sounds like it!!!

So just to make sure, you have instructions for how to install the CPU? And you've got thermal paste ready?

ChaseKerr
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:55 pm

I don't have any paste on me right now, but I'll see about getting some later, I've got a fan there. Thank you so much! You're amazing :)

mikewinddale
Gerbil First Class

Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:02 pm

Cool. I recommend looking at some Youtube videos of installation. Here's an example.

Make sure you don't do anything until you've got some thermal paste ready. I had good experience recently with Arctic MX-4. What's nice about it is that it's non-conductive, so if you apply too much and it oozes out where it doesn't belong, it won't short-circuit anything.

And here's a nice set of diagrams of different ways to apply thermal paste. Basically, it turns out that almost every method is as good as any other. But it's nice to see pictures.

mikewinddale
Gerbil First Class

Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:05 pm

Oh, and if you're reusing a previously-used heatsink, make sure you clean off any of the residue from the previous application of thermal interface material. Clean both the top of the CPU and the bottom of the heatsink, where they touch. Both have to be completely clean before you apply new paste.

You could use rubbing alcohol, but I like to use ArctiClean.

You'd also need a microfiber cloth.

Here's a non-conductive paste from Noctua that comes with cleaning cloths, with cleaning solution infused into the microfiber. I haven't used this Noctua paste and compound, so I can't speak from experience, but Noctua has a good reputation.

However, I will note that the Arctic MX-4 says it is good for 8 years of installation before you have to reapply it, while the Noctua is only good for 5 years. So I'd personally recommend separately buying MX-4, Arcticlean, and some microfiber cloths. But if you want convenience, the Noctua kit should suffice.

toki
Gerbil XP

Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:27 pm

please make sure to watch a youtube video or something before applying thermal paste as well. You don't want to use a lot. Also, if you're willing, get some remover and purifier and delicately use that to remove crud/junk/old thermal paste. Once it's in, sit back relax and enjoy the feeling of getting those new parts in that system.....Ahhhhhhhhhh, lol

MOSFET
Gerbil XP

Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:02 am

toki wrote:
remover and purifier

Isopropyl Alcohol and paper towels. (Microfiber it dry if you're paranoid, but don't ruin your microfiber with old thermal paste removal, from either CPU or old heatsink.)
Be careful on inserting this (or any G34 chip) into the socket. Once you pull that restraining lever, it is either a good install or a piece of silicon jewelry.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:59 am

MOSFET wrote:
toki wrote:
remover and purifier

Isopropyl Alcohol and paper towels. (Microfiber it dry if you're paranoid, but don't ruin your microfiber with old thermal paste removal, from either CPU or old heatsink.)

That’s my preferred method too.

toki
Gerbil XP

Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:31 pm

for shame! all of you! lol

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:45 am

Man, you guys are serious about your pasting!

I use a single-pass of a paper towel to remove the crusty old goo from the top of the CPU so that there are no dried chunks left on top, then I put about a 5mm dollop of any old paste from the parts drawer in the middle of the not-particularly-clean CPU and slap the heatsink back on again. What's the point in cleaning up the sides? They're not important and the new paste you re-apply is going to get squeezed out over the next few weeks and make it messy again anyway. As long as the paste isn't anywhere near the contacts on the bottom of the CPU, you're golden.

After 25 years of doing this for a day job, I realised that the difference between a super-thorough, time-consuming deep-clean and quick re-paste is approximately zero. Maybe a degree or two but that's still within the margin of error and less significant than the variance between two CPUs in the silicon lottery. If your PC isn't spotlessly clean already, you'll see a much bigger improvement in your temperatures by just spending 20 seconds cleaning the dust filters in your case. ;)
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:56 am

Chrispy_ wrote:
Man, you guys are serious about your pasting!

I use a single-pass of a paper towel to remove the crusty old goo from the top of the CPU so that there are no dried chunks left on top, then I put about a 5mm dollop of any old paste from the parts drawer in the middle of the not-particularly-clean CPU and slap the heatsink back on again. What's the point in cleaning up the sides? They're not important and the new paste you re-apply is going to get squeezed out over the next few weeks and make it messy again anyway. As long as the paste isn't anywhere near the contacts on the bottom of the CPU, you're golden.

This is more or less what I do, but instead of "any old paste" I have 3 or 4 year old tube of AS4 that I'm still working through. It seems fine. No reason to get super thorough, just wipe off the chunks and re-apply. Nobody's going to see it until next time and then you've soiled it again anyway.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen