Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Thresher

Urshurak776
Gerbil
Topic Author

New Ryzen 3 2200G build - random freezes/pauses

Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:26 am

Hi all :)

THIS ISSUE HAS BEEN SOLVED :) 3/18/2019

I have an issue with a new build for my son. I have been out of the game a little bit, so looking for some guidance or advice. I just put together a little gaming PC for my 15 year old. Did it on a budget and we are going to drop a video card into it before school starts up again in the fall.

AMD Ryzen 3 2200G (APU)
ASROCK B450M-PRO4
8 GB (4X2) DDR4-3000 Patriot Viper ram (it is on the compatibility list on the motherboards page at the ASROCK website.)
Cougar Case
Corsair CX600 80 Plus Bronze (purchased on May 19, 2015.) This is the only part that came over to the new system. I am wondering if it could be the culprit (incompatibility with the new Ryzen power states, throttling, etc.)

What happens is the computer is up and running. Every once in a while, it just freezes, then goes back to normal after 7 or 8 seconds. It does it idling, it does it in the middle of a game, it does it while surfing the net. I researched a bit and thought maybe the cool and quiet function (C state?) may be the culprit. I disabled it but no change.

All components tested, it is not overheating at all.
I updated the BIOS to the latest (2.00).
I was a little confused on drivers. I downloaded the B450 chipset drivers from AMD's website, then the latest adrenaline drivers. I loaded chipset first, reboot. Then adrenaline, reboot.

The system runs fine (games are great.) It is just those little 7-8 second pauses. Happens every 20 minutes or so, no matter what we are doing. Sometimes even a little more frequently than 20 minutes.

I am wondering if there is a possible compatibility issue with the power supple and the C states, or throttling, etc. I think that power supply design was from 2014?

Anyway, long post. Any ideas? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Todd
Last edited by Urshurak776 on Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Re: New Ryzen 3 2200G build - random freezes/pauses

Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:32 am

I just built a Ryzen 3 2200G system for my daughter based on that exact CPU and mobo. Have you updated the EFI to the latest yet on the motherboard? The board I got was still running the first release.

If you have, I'd start with a Memtest86 run. Eliminate memory errors as a potential cause. We're not seeing anything like that, but the only games she's playing on it are Roblox and Minecraft.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Urshurak776
Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:36 am

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, I updated the BIOS to 2.00 (the latest on the website.) Okay, I'll run Memtest86 on it. I did run Prime95 for a while and it seemed fine. I'll report back.

The Egg
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:39 am

Does the Event Viewer in Windows give any errors with the timestamp of when you're having the freezes?

Urshurak776
Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:42 am

I didn't look at the event viewer. I will check it out! Thanks guys.

K-L-Waster
Gerbil Elite

Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:51 am

If it proceeds to work fine after the pauses, I don't think it's hardware related. That sounds like some piece of software is trying to do something and won't let the system do anything else until it either completes or times out. Possibly some app is trying to phone home?

The event viewer would be useful -- you may also want to look at your firewall logs at the time of the pauses to see if there's anything attempting to reach an external site at that time.
Main System: i7-8700K, ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-E, 16 GB DDR4 3200 RAM, ASUS 6800XT, 1 TB WD_Black SN750, Corsair 550D

HTPC: I5-4460, ASUS H97M-E, 8 GB RAM, GTX 970, CRUCIAL 256GB MX100, SILVERSTONE GD09B

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:20 am

Completely off-topic, but this reminds me of the days that every time you open up explorer, it would check if you had a floppy in the drive and take forever to read the disk name.

Urshurak776
Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:48 am

K-L-Waster wrote:
If it proceeds to work fine after the pauses, I don't think it's hardware related. That sounds like some piece of software is trying to do something and won't let the system do anything else until it either completes or times out. Possibly some app is trying to phone home?

The event viewer would be useful -- you may also want to look at your firewall logs at the time of the pauses to see if there's anything attempting to reach an external site at that time.

I would agree. But I am still not sure if my driver loading was correct, or if it is possible it is the power supply (almost 5 years old.)

Thanks for looking. I will check all the event logs this evening.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:02 am

K-L-Waster wrote:

Software would be my first assumption, but I've had storage hardware problems that exhibited this behaviour before. Loose cable, failing SSD, Intel P67 chipset bug etc.

I don't see what storage you're using for this build listed above.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

Urshurak776
Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:16 am

Chrispy_ wrote:
K-L-Waster wrote:

Software would be my first assumption, but I've had storage hardware problems that exhibited this behaviour before. Loose cable, failing SSD, Intel P67 chipset bug etc.

I don't see what storage you're using for this build listed above.

Oops, you're right, I forgot that. I am using a new Mushkin Reactor 240GB SSD and an Western Digital BLUE 1TB 7200 RPM 3.5 mechanical HDD. The WD is the data drive and I did move that over to the new build (completely forgot about that.) I re-formatted it.

I also did a fresh Windows 10 Pro install. I have the memory loaded via XMP profile 1 in the BIOS (2933 and it shows the correct timings.) I loaded the latest BIOS before I loaded windows 10. I used the latest windows 10 build when I made the thumb drive I loaded it from (just did that a couple of days ago in preparation.)

K-L-Waster
Gerbil Elite

Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:26 am

Chrispy_ wrote:

Good point. Reseating the SATA cables would be a good step as well, in case one of them isn't quite on well enough.
Main System: i7-8700K, ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-E, 16 GB DDR4 3200 RAM, ASUS 6800XT, 1 TB WD_Black SN750, Corsair 550D

HTPC: I5-4460, ASUS H97M-E, 8 GB RAM, GTX 970, CRUCIAL 256GB MX100, SILVERSTONE GD09B

Urshurak776
Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:19 pm

Good idea. I'll re-seat all the cables this evening. Thank you all so much for the help.

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:47 pm

Swapping the SATA cables would be a good idea if you have spares. Flaky SATA cables aren't exactly common, but it does happen.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Urshurak776
Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:52 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
I just built a Ryzen 3 2200G system for my daughter based on that exact CPU and mobo. Have you updated the EFI to the latest yet on the motherboard? The board I got was still running the first release.

If you have, I'd start with a Memtest86 run. Eliminate memory errors as a potential cause. We're not seeing anything like that, but the only games she's playing on it are Roblox and Minecraft.

What drivers did you load after windows 10 install? Chipset, then adrenaline?

Thanks again.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:19 pm

Urshurak776 wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:

Thanks again.

Yeah, I did chipset first and then Adrenaline afterwards. Got the latest for both from the AMD website, not the ones from ASRock. I just pitched the CD that came with the motherboard.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

Urshurak776
Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:27 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
Urshurak776 wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:

Thanks again.

Yeah, I did chipset first and then Adrenaline afterwards. Got the latest for both from the AMD website, not the ones from ASRock. I just pitched the CD that came with the motherboard.

Okay, good. That is exactly what I did. I didn't have a CD/DVD drive in the system anyway......

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:40 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:

Just a reminder to everyone that unless you have a super custom system, or in some cases laptops, that this is how you should be doing drivers. I can't believe they still include those discs to be honest.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

dragontamer5788
Gerbil Elite

Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:51 pm

Urshurak776 wrote:
What happens is the computer is up and running. Every once in a while, it just freezes, then goes back to normal after 7 or 8 seconds. It does it idling, it does it in the middle of a game, it does it while surfing the net. I researched a bit and thought maybe the cool and quiet function (C state?) may be the culprit. I disabled it but no change.

Do you use a hard drive?

I once had a very slow "Green" 5400 RPM hard drive, which was the thing that caused the issue. Effectively, the hard drive would throttle down severely and sleep. Every now and then, Windows would need a new file from the hard drive, but it'd take 5+ seconds for the hard drive to spin back up and turn on again. Windows would just hang and do nothing until the hard drive was ready.

If this is a hard drive problem, I'd tweak the settings. You may need to change the firmware of the hard drive to get it to stop sleeping so aggressively.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:35 pm

dragontamer5788 wrote:
Urshurak776 wrote:

Do you use a hard drive?

I once had a very slow "Green" 5400 RPM hard drive, which was the thing that caused the issue. Effectively, the hard drive would throttle down severely and sleep. Every now and then, Windows would need a new file from the hard drive, but it'd take 5+ seconds for the hard drive to spin back up and turn on again. Windows would just hang and do nothing until the hard drive was ready.

If this is a hard drive problem, I'd tweak the settings. You may need to change the firmware of the hard drive to get it to stop sleeping so aggressively.

That's an interesting suggestion that could be it. He said he had a WD 1TB hard drive. Seems like you should be able to hear it spin up during the pause if that's the problem. Mine only has a 240GB SSD.

Concupiscence
Gerbil Elite

Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:52 pm

dragontamer5788 wrote:
Urshurak776 wrote:

Do you use a hard drive?

You may also be able to tweak this behavior in the Windows power management settings on a per-device basis. I don't guarantee it will keep your custom power settings preserved across major updates, but it may stop the problem cold.
Science: Core i9 7940x, 64 gigs RAM, Vega FE, Xubuntu 20.04
Work: Ryzen 5 3600, 32 gigs RAM, Radeon RX 580, Win10 Pro
Tinker: Core i5 2400, 8 gigs RAM, Radeon R9 280x, Xubuntu 20.04 + MS-DOS 7.10

Read me at https://www.wallabyjones.com/

mikewinddale
Gerbil First Class

Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:55 pm

I agree with K-L-Waster that it doesn't sound hardware related. If it was caused by errors in the CPU, memory, motherboard, etc., then the error would tend to be either silent or else cause a blue-screen. It seems unlikely that the hardware error would cause it to freeze but then resume as if nothing was wrong.

That being said, I would try running some diagnostics overnight that test for errors. Memtest86 is good for memory. But you want to test the rest of the system too. If you don't want to spend money on some diagnostics, then try the free version of PassMark BurnInTest. This will not only stress your components but also test for errors that don't cause blue screens, but still result in problems.

If it's hardware, then I suspect a disk drive. If the OS is waiting for a drive to report that the task is complete, the OS might appear to hang. Try running disk benchmarks (e.g. Anvil, ATTO, AS-SSD) on all your disks, and see whether any of the scores are low. Response times will be especially crucial. Even if the MB/s are normal, if the drive takes a second to respond, then your OS will hang. Also, run disk diagnostics. PassMark BurnInTest will work here, and also see if your drives' manufacturers have any good diagnostics. For example, I know WD has some disk health utilities.

But it might be software. You said, "it does it idling, it does it in the middle of a game, it does it while surfing the net."

Since the behavior is so ubiquitous, it might be hard to pin down. Can you try running Ubuntu or Linux Mint instead of Windows? You can still surf the net, although you might not be able to game. So try browsing the internet in Linux for a few hours or days and see if the problem reoccurs. That will tell you pretty clearly whether the problem is hardware or software.

If you have a spare disk drive, install Linux to that. If not, you can get an ADATA SU800 128 GB SSD for $26.99. I know it's not ideal to have to spend money, so you might consider that a last resort. But if you can find a spare drive, surfing the net in a different OS is an easy way to tell if the problem is hardware or software.

dragontamer5788
Gerbil Elite

Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:00 pm

Concupiscence wrote:
dragontamer5788 wrote:

Do you use a hard drive?

You may also be able to tweak this behavior in the Windows power management settings on a per-device basis. I don't guarantee it will keep your custom power settings preserved across major updates, but it may stop the problem cold.

Depends on the hard drive. The "Green" hard drive I had would sleep on its own volition, no matter what Windows settings I used. Only by running some device-specific code was I finally able to get it to stop sleeping all the damn time.

EDIT: First, confirm that the hard drive is the problem. Next time you have a hiccup, listen carefully: can you hear the hard drive? Is it spinning faster and faster? Does the computer start to "move" again once the hard drive is spinning fastest? If you can confirm whether or not the hard drive is the problem, then we can work on fixing it.
Last edited by dragontamer5788 on Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mikewinddale
Gerbil First Class

Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:01 pm

Also, try simplifying the hardware as much as possible. Since the WD drive is just a data drive, try disconnecting it so that you only have the OS drive. If the WD drive is causing the problem, then the problem should disappear once you disconnect it from the motherboard.

In general, remove any components that are not completely necessary to boot.

mikewinddale
Gerbil First Class

Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:10 pm

Oh, and try booting a minimalistic Windows setup, to eliminate any non-Windows software.

Run msconfig, and choose "Selective Startup" and check only "Load system services" but uncheck "Load startup items." Reboot and test.

If that doesn't help, then in msconfig, choose "Diagnostic startup."

One more thing: I wonder if your page file is being used for some reason. If Windows is using the hard drive as virtual memory, it could really slow you down. Go to Control Panel --> System --> Advanced System Settings (on the sidebar) --> Advanced tab --> Performance --> Advanced Tab --> Virtual Memory --> Change.

See what it says about the page file. If you aren't sure, then uncheck "Automatically manage paging file for all drives." Manually select the SSD for the page file location, and make sure the mechanical drive has no page file.

Oh, and in Device Manager, choose each of your drives and make sure caching is enabled. You can also access this by going into This PC, right clicking a drive --> Properties --> Hardware tab --> Properties --> Change Settings --> Policies --> Better performance.

And in This PC, right click each drive --> Properties --> turn off indexing. Maybe the indexing services is hanging when it tries to access a drive? If the mechanical drive is being indexed but sluggishly, it could make the system non-responsive.

However, for diagnostic purposes, only do one of these things at a time. If you do everything at once, and it fixes the problem, you won't know which step actually fixed it.

Concupiscence
Gerbil Elite

Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:13 pm

dragontamer5788 wrote:
Concupiscence wrote:
dragontamer5788 wrote:

Do you use a hard drive?

Depends on the hard drive. The "Green" hard drive I had would sleep on its own volition, no matter what Windows settings I used. Only by running some device-specific code was I finally able to get it to stop sleeping all the damn time.

EDIT: First, confirm that the hard drive is the problem. Next time you have a hiccup, listen carefully: can you hear the hard drive? Is it spinning faster and faster? Does the computer start to "move" again once the hard drive is spinning fastest? If you can confirm whether or not the hard drive is the problem, then we can work on fixing it.

Really? God, that's just uncouth.
Science: Core i9 7940x, 64 gigs RAM, Vega FE, Xubuntu 20.04
Work: Ryzen 5 3600, 32 gigs RAM, Radeon RX 580, Win10 Pro
Tinker: Core i5 2400, 8 gigs RAM, Radeon R9 280x, Xubuntu 20.04 + MS-DOS 7.10

Read me at https://www.wallabyjones.com/

MOSFET
Gerbil XP

Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:16 pm

I have a 6.5 year old Dell laptop that came with a 128GB Samsung 830 SSD. It also came with Win7 back then, and the system would stutter sometimes. Not 7-8 seconds, more like 1-2, but very annoying, and terrible for listening to music or typing or as a streaming source for any content. Wiped the drive, and installed Win10 from scratch in 2015, and stutter-free since. May or may not be relevant to you since you presumably started from scratch.
Be careful on inserting this (or any G34 chip) into the socket. Once you pull that restraining lever, it is either a good install or a piece of silicon jewelry.

dragontamer5788
Gerbil Elite

Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:32 pm

Concupiscence wrote:
dragontamer5788 wrote:
Concupiscence wrote:

Really? God, that's just uncouth.

Yup. Here's more information on this particular subject: https://www.ixsystems.com/community/thr ... exe.18171/

That's precisely what happened to me. So I guess it wasn't a "sleep" as much as "head parking" now that I'm rereading about the issue. Original WD Greens would park within 8 seconds, making the hard drive inoperable until everything spun back up (which took multiple seconds).

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:54 pm

At least some of the current WD Blue drives do that as well. Need to extend the timeout setting in the drive firmware to get them to behave sanely.

They're still better than Seagate's SMR garbage if you're looking for inexpensive bulk storage.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

toki
Gerbil XP

Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:25 pm

If you're using a WD Red drive or "green" type drive, someone posted this how-to that may help you and save the life of your hard drive.

Since this hard drive's introduction, users have consistently reported premature failures and data corruption. These complaints were well warranted, for the manufacturer has shorten the life cycle of this computer component by design.
The source of the problem is Western Digital's attempt to make the device "more green" - use less electricity. One way to accomplish this goal is to park the heads on a plastic pad after eight seconds of no read/write requests instead of allowing them to float over the spinning platters of the hard drive. This adds up to 10,800 cycles each day. The numerous scrapings gradually wears out the heads. According to some literature, 250,000 to 1,250,000 cycles will result in damage that will lead to read/write errors. If you do the math, data corruption will begin within 23.148 to 115.741 days if you are employing the hard drive on a heavily used server. Regular consumers will not notice read/write problems until later. Some WD drives reported 3,000 to 5,000 cycles per day. At this rate, the first instances of data corruption will begin within 83.33 to 250 days.
From my experience, early data loss will not be noticed by the average user. There are no signs of trouble if work files are not accessed, edited, and save. With numerous usages, lost sectors on the hard drive appear and indexes become corrupted. Then, damages become apparent. During bootup, Windows OS will begin employing Check Disk (chkdsk/f) to repair errors. Chunks of bad information get deleted and corrupted indexes are re-corrected during the process. Eventually, 50%-to-60% drive gets wiped out before the user realizes the problem. He accesses a file, and there is none. Using a file manager, further examinations reveal other missing data. This degradation takes time - months to a year depending on computer usage.
Nevertheless, six years of complains have forced the manufacturer to do something - provided a firmware fix. WDIDLE3.EXE software is used to reset the parking cycle to as high as five minutes. For normal users, this change brings down the parking cycle to 133 per day. This is within the industrial average. Most drives experience 10 to 200 per day and are rated around 600,000. WDIDLE3.EXE can also turn off head parking. Unfortunately, this is not recommended. Users have reported that drive speed was reduced to a crawl or exhibited read/write problems.
This solution is a masterpiece in public relations. Instead of deactivating or eliminating the eight second head parking cycle on newly manufactured drives, WD forces the user to make the firmware change after the sale. The process is not easy, and the company's website does not explain or provide any information - it provides just the software. The procedure requires unplugging all other devices that are connected to SATA ports and numerous resets to the BIOS. The computer must boot in DOS via a CD or USB 2.0 thumb drive and typing the required codes. Just finding the necessary software to create the booting device is a pain.
As a result, non-technical consumers will not do anything and allow their hard drives to malfunction. For the "techkies," it will take hours of research, internet searches, and trial-and-error. Hopefully, they will also be discouraged. In one stroke, the company has placated the critics and still maintain high sales volume.
I have already done the necessary work. So, here is the easiest procedure using a booting USB 2.0 drive.
GO TO GOOGLE AND DOWNLOAD THE FOLLOWING PROGRAMS. . . . I can not provide links because the Amazon server automatically deletes their location.
. . . . . HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool
. . . . . Z-Zip
. . . . . wdidle3.exe
. . . . . FreeDOS (fd11src.iso)
DO THE FOLLOWING IN THIS ORDER TO CREATE A BOOTING USB 2.0 FLASH DRIVE.
. . . . . 1. Install Z-Zip
. . . . . 2. Use Z-Zip to extract HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool and FreeDOS iso.
. . . . . 3. Install the HP software.
. . . . . 4. Install a USB 2.0 flash drive on one of computer's USB 2.0 ports.
. . . . . . . Right-click the HP icon.
. . . . . . . Go to COMPATIBILITY/PRIVILEGE LEVEL.
. . . . . . . Check RUN THIS PROGRAM AS AN ADMINISTRATOR.
. . . . . . . Exit the program.
. . . . . 5. Activate the HP program by clicking its icon.
. . . . . . . Select FAT for FILE SYSTEM
. . . . . . . Place a check mark on CREATE DOS STARTUP DISK
. . . . . . . Go to USING DOS SYSTEM FILES LOCATED AT and point to the
. . . . . . . . . . subdirectory of the FreeDOS files. It is \FREEDOS\SETUP\ODIN
. . . . . 6. Format the USB 2.0 flash drive. Depending on the size, it will take time.
. . . . . 7. Use WINDOWS EXPLORER to copy WDIDLE3.EXE to your formatted USB 2.0 flash drive.
SHUT OFF YOUR COMPUTER.
. . . . . 1. Deactivate all devices connected to your SATA ports by pulling out their two cords. You do not want WDIDLE3.EXE to corrupt their firmware settings.
. . . . . 2. Connect your Western Digital Red Hard Drive.
RESTART YOUR COMPUTER.
. . . . . 1. Go into your PC's BIOS setting.
. . . . . 2. Turn AHCI off. This will enable your flash drive to be recognized.
. . . . . 3. Set the thumb drive as the first bootable drive.
. . . . . 4. Save your BIOS settings and exit.
RESTART YOUR COMPUTER. Your thumb drive should boot the computer and go into MS-DOS.
. . . . . 1. Type "wdidle3.exe" without the quotes and press ENTER. This will activate the program.
. . . . . 2. Type "wdidle3.exe /r" without the quotes and press ENTER. This will show the current timeout. The factory default is eight seconds.
. . . . . 3. Type "wdidle3.exe /s300" without the quotes and press ENTER. This changes the autopark timer to 300 seconds or five minutes - the maximum allowed.
. . . . . 4. Type "wdidle3.exe /r" without the quotes and press ENTER. This will check that the hard drive has accepted the change.
. . . . . 5. Shut off your PC.
IF YOU NEED TO PROCESS ANOTHER HARD DRIVE, pull out the two connecting cables, attach them to the next Western Digital Red drive, and repeat the above process.
ONCE FINISHED, TURN OFF YOUR COMPUTER AND PLUG YOUR SATA DEVICES BACK.
. . . . . 1. Turn on your PC
. . . . . 2. Go back into your PC BIOS setting.
. . . . . 3. Turn AHCI on.
. . . . . 4. Change your boot order.
. . . . . 5. Save your settings and exit.

I use the spoiler tag because it's pretty long and was buried under other stuff.

Edit: spoiler tags didn't shorten it so iremoved it.

Urshurak776
Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:27 pm

Wow. Lots to try. Thanks everyone!

I just made a memtest86 boot usb thumb drive. Booted off of it and running memtest now.

Next I will go to event timers.

Then I’ll check the hard drive states. Maybe start by just unplugging data drive.

I’ll report results.