No
9 (82%)

Total votes: 11

lex-ington
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Mobo/Processor switch?

Thu May 23, 2019 8:19 am

I replaced most of the parts in my current machine back in 2008 and popped in a Phenom II X4 920 early 2009. It is now 2019 and the machine is rolling along...have not changed a thing since..

Fast forward 10 years and I just upgraded my son's computer to a Ryzen 3-2200G, new mobo, new memory. I now have an A4-7300, mobo and memory sitting on my computer desk with no home.

Should I pop in into my machine? Would there even be enough of a speed boost to even worry about it?

Let me know what you think.
. . . this is the digital projection of your mental self. . . .

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Re: Mobo/Processor switch?

Thu May 23, 2019 9:06 am

HTPC? Plex box? NAS?

techguy
Gerbil XP

Thu May 23, 2019 9:14 am

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu May 23, 2019 9:20 am

Going to depend on whether you're running anything that's being held back by the CPU horsepower or RAM bandwidth; you'd get a decent boost to both. Plus you get support for SSE4 and AVX.

In your shoes I'd probably do it unless there's someone else in your household who could use a new(er) desktop system, or you're thinking of building a DIY NAS. TBH, even if you are thinking of building a NAS, I'd probably use your existing CPU/mobo for that, and use the A4-7300 for your desktop.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu May 23, 2019 9:22 am

techguy wrote:
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/AMD-Phenom-II-X4-920-vs-AMD-Ryzen-3-2200G-vs-AMD-A4-7300-APU/365vs3186vs2357

LMAO, it's slower than a Phenom II.

It's more complicated than that. It's quite a bit better for single-threaded performance, but has half the cores. Thanks for pointing that out though, for some reason I thought it was also a quad core.

This makes the decision much less clear, TBH.

Concupiscence
Gerbil Elite

Thu May 23, 2019 10:09 am

just brew it! wrote:
techguy wrote:
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/AMD-Phenom-II-X4-920-vs-AMD-Ryzen-3-2200G-vs-AMD-A4-7300-APU/365vs3186vs2357

It's more complicated than that. It's quite a bit better for single-threaded performance, but has half the cores. Thanks for pointing that out though, for some reason I thought it was also a quad core.

It's a dual core, single module chip with an IGP that's not quick but has a solid feature set. I wouldn't hesitate to use it as a home theater PC. If I were OP I'd pull the battery and keep it in storage for a while until the Phenom II kicks the bucket. It would also be trivial to replace the CPU with a quad core, at which point it'd be a spry but not overwhelming upgrade from the Phenom.
Science: Core i9 7940x, 64 gigs RAM, Vega FE, Xubuntu 20.04
Work: Ryzen 5 3600, 32 gigs RAM, Radeon RX 580, Win10 Pro
Tinker: Core i5 2400, 8 gigs RAM, Radeon R9 280x, Xubuntu 20.04 + MS-DOS 7.10

Read me at https://www.wallabyjones.com/

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu May 23, 2019 10:12 am

Concupiscence wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
techguy wrote:

It's a dual core, single module chip with an IGP that's not quick but has a solid feature set. I wouldn't hesitate to use it as a home theater PC. If I were OP I'd pull the battery and keep it in storage for a while until the Phenom II kicks the bucket. It would also be trivial to replace the CPU with a quad core, at which point it'd be a spry but not overwhelming upgrade from the Phenom.

What's the advantage of waiting for the Phenom II to die?

Concupiscence
Gerbil Elite

Thu May 23, 2019 10:14 am

just brew it! wrote:

There really isn't one. I feel a little silly for that. I'd swap the A4 in, sell the Phenom with or without its motherboard, put that money toward a solid FM2+ chip, and upgrade it, then sell the A4 too. You'd end up pulling roughly financially level that way and enjoy a perceptible upgrade.

techguy
Gerbil XP

Thu May 23, 2019 10:27 am

Concupiscence wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

There really isn't one. I feel a little silly for that. I'd swap the A4 in, sell the Phenom with or without its motherboard, put that money toward a solid FM2+ chip, and upgrade it, then sell the A4 too. You'd end up pulling roughly financially level that way and enjoy a perceptible upgrade.

Sell the Phenom? How much do you think a used 10 year-old ($235 MSRP) AMD CPU goes for these days?

Concupiscence
Gerbil Elite

Thu May 23, 2019 10:30 am

techguy wrote:
Concupiscence wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

Sell the Phenom? How much do you think a used 10 year-old ($235 MSRP) AMD CPU goes for these days?

About $15 to $20 shipped, if eBay's any indicator. Not big money, but enough to make a dent in acquiring a nicer FM2+ chip.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu May 23, 2019 10:55 am

Concupiscence wrote:
techguy wrote:

About $15 to $20 shipped, if eBay's any indicator. Not big money, but enough to make a dent in acquiring a nicer FM2+ chip.

On a related note, it surprises me how much the 8-core Piledriver FX chips (both used and new-in-box) are still going for these days. Looks like they're only down by a little more than half compared to what they were selling for when they were still reasonably current.

Concupiscence
Gerbil Elite

Thu May 23, 2019 11:16 am

just brew it! wrote:
Concupiscence wrote:
techguy wrote:

On a related note, it surprises me how much the 8-core Piledriver FX chips (both used and new-in-box) are still going for these days. Looks like they're only down by a little more than half compared to what they were selling for when they were still reasonably current.

It's surprising, yeah. It took years, but outside of gaming applications it seems like the software ecosystem's finally caught up to them. Even for games they aren't that bad within their limitations. And an undervolt never hurts if you can get away with it.

dragontamer5788
Gerbil Elite

Thu May 23, 2019 11:23 am

Topics like this scare me whenever I'm programming low level stuff. Lol. I wanna use AVX without doing a cpuid check, but... then I see a topic like this come along and remind me that not everyone has a computer from this decade... Modern architectures are way better for programming, and will be closer to the computers that will be built in the future. But if all the software you use is working fine, you can definitely stay on the old machine.

Ultimately, it depends on the software you are running. Or alternatively, if you're a programmer... the software you plan to write.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Thu May 23, 2019 11:40 am

dragontamer5788 wrote:
Topics like this scare me whenever I'm programming low level stuff. Lol. I wanna use AVX without doing a cpuid check, but... then I see a topic like this come along and remind me that not everyone has a computer from this decade... Modern architectures are way better for programming, and will be closer to the computers that will be built in the future. But if all the software you use is working fine, you can definitely stay on the old machine.
Ultimately, it depends on the software you are running. Or alternatively, if you're a programmer... the software you plan to write.

That's a large part why console games tend to be more efficient with their resource use. You don't have to worry about that.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Thu May 23, 2019 12:32 pm

The very fact that you are happily using a Phenom II means that you do not require CPU performance, so swapping the CPU and board is just effort you don't need to exert.

That A4 is Piledriver, also known as "the rubbish, slow, inefficient one". Almost everything about the entire Bulldozer architecture and all of its refreshes was garbage. Its one advantage over Intel was more cores per dollar, but the A4 does not qualify for that merit.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu May 23, 2019 1:27 pm

Chrispy_ wrote:
That A4 is Piledriver, also known as "the rubbish, slow, inefficient one".

That's a little harsh. Piledriver was the second iteration, and wasn't that bad. The original Bulldozer arch was the really slow, hot-running one.

Chrispy_ wrote:
Almost everything about the entire Bulldozer architecture and all of its refreshes was garbage. Its one advantage over Intel was more cores per dollar, but the A4 does not qualify for that merit.

Again, this paints an overly harsh picture. They did just fine on performance per dollar; but this was out of necessity (i.e. drop the prices until people are willing to buy), not by design. What nearly killed AMD was power consumption and (by extension) performance per watt, which caused their share of the datacenter market to shrink to approximately zero. Losing the datacenter market just as everything was shifting to the Cloud was a near-fatal stumble.

Concupiscence
Gerbil Elite

Thu May 23, 2019 1:38 pm

At the risk of wandering far afield from OP's request for advice, I'm gonna agree with just brew it! here. Bulldozer was flat awful - outside of its new instruction set support it was reliably slower per-clock than the K10 parts it sought to replace, it ran hot as hell, and had weird bottlenecking and FMA compatibility issues. Piledriver fixed the worst of Bulldozer's problems and managed to put up an OK fight against low-end Ivy Bridge i7's and most i5 parts of the time when dealing with well-threaded apps.

Steamroller was better per-clock to the tune of 5-10%, but the 28nm process used wasn't friendly to the same kinds of clock scaling as its predecessors. That meant AMD was stuck between a rock and a hard place: they could either release parts which would be faster per-clock at lower speeds for AM3+, meaning an entire generation of CPUs that didn't budge the needle on meaningful performance, or abandon the platform in place because R&D money would be wasted. I understand why they went the latter route. There were rumors that they thought about making 10 core Steamroller parts for the FM2+ platform, but I can understand why they didn't pursue that strategy.

I haven't heard much about Excavator, but aside from AVX2 support I don't think it advanced much from Steamroller. If you're really curious you could buy a Bristol Ridge APU, slap it into an AM4 'board, and report back. To wind this back to relevance for the OP: sell the Phenom, buy an A8 or A10 (or an Athlon derivative), and sell the A4 too once you've replaced it.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu May 23, 2019 5:25 pm

That A4 only has one module. It's effectively a single hyper threaded core (except for integer math, where it's a little better). No way do I remove the Phenom. Odds are good that despite the clock speed advantage, the A4 is probably slower per-thread than the Phenom, with fewer threads to boot.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

jackbomb
Gerbil XP

Thu May 23, 2019 5:52 pm

dragontamer5788 wrote:
Topics like this scare me whenever I'm programming low level stuff. Lol. I wanna use AVX without doing a cpuid check, but... then I see a topic like this come along and remind me that not everyone has a computer from this decade...

The latest Pentiums still don't support AVX.
Like a good neighbor jackbomb is there.

anotherengineer
Gerbil Jedi

Thu May 23, 2019 7:24 pm

OC that 920 to 3.4 GHz, or look for a nice FM2+ chip on the cheap.

edit - I would assume the 920 mobo is sata 2 and the FM mobo is sata 3?
Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri May 24, 2019 4:58 am

jackbomb wrote:
dragontamer5788 wrote:
Topics like this scare me whenever I'm programming low level stuff. Lol. I wanna use AVX without doing a cpuid check, but... then I see a topic like this come along and remind me that not everyone has a computer from this decade...

The latest Pentiums still don't support AVX.

That is incredibly stupid. Intel is shooting themselves in the foot, since this will delay adoption of AVX across the board.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Fri May 24, 2019 6:42 am

OP's A4 is a dual-core (single-module) Richland architecture parts. Whilst it's true that Piledriver is an improvement on Bulldozer, it took until Excavator for AMD to reach IPC parity with K10 and Steamroller was really the point at which they finally surpassed the old Stars cores. This is why overclocked Thuban (6C K10 architecture) were loved by so many for so long.

It's not even really fair to call the A4-7300 a dual-core though, because whilst it's better than Intel's hyperthreading (1C/2T), we would laugh at anyone trying to market it as a dual-core chip today. It has a single I-Cache, Fetch module, Decode module, Floating Point scheduler, and L2 Cache. The only thing that qualifies as "dual" is the integer core, and as a result, Bulldozer/Piledriver only approached dual-core performance in synthetic integer-only benchmarks. There were nearly zero real-world scenarios where a single 'module' behaved like two cores. It's better to say that AMD's module was SMT done right, in that Intel's integer core was usually the biggest bottleck in their pipeline, so doubling up on just that one component allowed the module or core to process two threads better.

Getting back to the real-world issue, Piledriver still has lower IPC than K10, and although the clockspeeds on the A4 are higher, the single-threaded performance of the A4 is only around 20% higher than the Phenom-II X4 920 it would be replacing. Most modern tasks are multithreaded, so the additional three cores on the Phenom-II would run circles around the A4, especially given the sheer number of concurrent services running in Windows 7 onwards.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

dragontamer5788
Gerbil Elite

Mon May 27, 2019 10:11 am

Chrispy_ wrote:
OP's A4 is a dual-core (single-module) Richland architecture parts. Whilst it's true that Piledriver is an improvement on Bulldozer, it took until Excavator for AMD to reach IPC parity with K10 and Steamroller was really the point at which they finally surpassed the old Stars cores. This is why overclocked Thuban (6C K10 architecture) were loved by so many for so long.

It's not even really fair to call the A4-7300 a dual-core though, because whilst it's better than Intel's hyperthreading (1C/2T), we would laugh at anyone trying to market it as a dual-core chip today. It has a single I-Cache, Fetch module, Decode module, Floating Point scheduler, and L2 Cache. The only thing that qualifies as "dual" is the integer core, and as a result, Bulldozer/Piledriver only approached dual-core performance in synthetic integer-only benchmarks. There were nearly zero real-world scenarios where a single 'module' behaved like two cores. It's better to say that AMD's module was SMT done right, in that Intel's integer core was usually the biggest bottleck in their pipeline, so doubling up on just that one component allowed the module or core to process two threads better.

Getting back to the real-world issue, Piledriver still has lower IPC than K10, and although the clockspeeds on the A4 are higher, the single-threaded performance of the A4 is only around 20% higher than the Phenom-II X4 920 it would be replacing. Most modern tasks are multithreaded, so the additional three cores on the Phenom-II would run circles around the A4, especially given the sheer number of concurrent services running in Windows 7 onwards.

While I agree with everything you said here, the L1 data-cache being unique to the two integer cores + fetch+retirement units being inside of those integer cores was certainly a thing. Because of the shared decoder, its not really a "2nd core", but I don't think there's ever been a SMT design with its own fetch + retirement + L1 cache units. Regardless, the "integer cores" of Bulldozer / Piledriver were something "better" than traditional SMT, but "worse" than a true core.

Zen's backend is basically the same size by the way: with 4x integer pipelines, 4x FPU pipelines, and 2x Fetch units per core, it is clear that Zen's design is basically superior to the Bulldozer line of chips. There's a reason why Zen uses SMT so effectively: Zen is just incredibly fat (just like Intel's Sandy Bridge+ systems)

lex-ington
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Mon May 27, 2019 11:04 am

Sorry guys...have a lot of life crap going on at the moment. I was thinking of building a mini-itx box at some point just for the hell of it.

My main machine normally is used for AutoCAD work...nothing else really. Its in the basement and my basement isn't finished so I really just use the laptop and the tablet upstairs.

Even tough a NAS machine is quite interesting since a good NAS box is quite expensive....i'll have to look into that....never even crossed my mind
. . . this is the digital projection of your mental self. . . .

LoneWolf15
Gerbil Elite

Mon May 27, 2019 5:56 pm

lex-ington wrote:
Sorry guys...have a lot of life crap going on at the moment. I was thinking of building a mini-itx box at some point just for the hell of it.

My main machine normally is used for AutoCAD work...nothing else really. Its in the basement and my basement isn't finished so I really just use the laptop and the tablet upstairs.

Even tough a NAS machine is quite interesting since a good NAS box is quite expensive....i'll have to look into that....never even crossed my mind

So I have this correctly -is it your Phenom II X4 that's being used for AutoCAD? Because if so (and if your usage is serious rather than hobbyist), I'd sell the A4 and board, and the Phenom II X4 and board, and get yourself into a newer architecture. You can absolutely benefit from it if that's your use, gaining a lot of performance while decreasing power usage. I'd be pretty quick to recommend a Ryzen 5 2600, there are plenty of sales (and will be more, to clear out Ryzen 2xxx CPUs to make way for Ryzen 3xxx ones), you'll get more cores, more threads, and better instructions-per-clock, resulting in a massive performance increase. You'll also get a more modern board, with more memory bandwidth and more features.

If you're on a tight budget, I'd do what others recommended. Sell the Phenom II and board, buy a better CPU for the newer board (A8 or A10, used is fine), and sell the A4. That's assuming the the A4 board isn't a cheapie; if it is, sell it and the CPU/RAM, buy new CPU/board/RAM , then sell the Phenom II and board.
i9-9900K @4.7GHz, GIGABYTE Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi, 2 x 16GB G.Skill RipJaws V PC3000
Corsair 650D, Seasonic 1Kw Platinum PSU
2x HP EX920 1TB NVMe, Samsung 850 Pro 512GB 2.5", NEC 7200 DVDRW
Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super Gaming OC, Dell S2719DGF 27" LCD

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Mon May 27, 2019 6:58 pm

I voted 'no' on account that when you disturb 10yo hardware and try to drop in 6+yo hardware, you're likely to discover just how many things are about to break and/or are mysteriously incompatible on both system configs. Then you end up sandwiched between a rock where the new one doesn't work when you try to upgrade, and a hard place where the old one doesn't work when you try to roll back.

IMO if it's worth tearing down, it's worth replacing with something at least in the Skylake or first-gen Ryzen timeframe.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Concupiscence
Gerbil Elite

Tue May 28, 2019 9:29 am

ludi wrote:
I voted 'no' on account that when you disturb 10yo hardware and try to drop in 6+yo hardware, you're likely to discover just how many things are about to break and/or are mysteriously incompatible on both system configs. Then you end up sandwiched between a rock where the new one doesn't work when you try to upgrade, and a hard place where the old one doesn't work when you try to roll back.

IMO if it's worth tearing down, it's worth replacing with something at least in the Skylake or first-gen Ryzen timeframe.

Yeah, I didn't realize this was being used for anything like production work. OP, I love older hardware as much as the next guy, but if this is something you're doing vocationally or for demanding jobs, a six core Ryzen or Intel part will use the bones of either of these configs for toothpicks.