Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Thresher

rinshun
Gerbil
Topic Author

DDR4 Clock speeds impact on performance

Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:50 pm

Hello,

We don't have to google too much to see there is an FPS increase when you get higher clock memories. The thing is: this increase is often near 10%, while people say that the quality of the gaming experience changed greatly. I just want to know if this is a placebo effect or there is something I'm missing: Here on TR, it's shown that measuring FPS isn't always the better indicator for gaming performance.

Thanks!

synthtel2
Gerbil Elite

Re: DDR4 Clock speeds impact on performance

Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:15 pm

It's tough to generalize since every game will respond to it a bit differently, but in my experience, it's usually most helpful in the very worst-case scenarios for performance. 99% frametimes probably still don't go far enough to see a lot of it; think bigger stalls (99.99% frametimes?), or what happens in a larger-scale multiplayer game when everyone decides they want to be in a particular small area. It also seems uncommon for AAA titles reviewers are likely to test to be highly sensitive to it, while some games further off the beaten path are much more so.

Srsly_Bro
Gerbil

Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:58 am

rinshun wrote:
Hello,

We don't have to google too much to see there is an FPS increase when you get higher clock memories. The thing is: this increase is often near 10%, while people say that the quality of the gaming experience changed greatly. I just want to know if this is a placebo effect or there is something I'm missing: Here on TR, it's shown that measuring FPS isn't always the better indicator for gaming performance.

Thanks!

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd- ... benchmark/

Zen 2 doesn't benefit very much from slow to fast RAM.

Read the review above 3200 cl 14/16 is good enough.

DragonDaddyBear
Gerbil Elite

Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:14 am

Speed is only one factor. Latency can have a huge impact, too. Ryzen 3 is especially impacted by this. More than anything, it's about the Infinity Fabric speed. If you're lazy and cheap (I know I am), then DDR 3200 CL14 is your best bet. You can get a LOT more out of Ryzen 3, though, if you really take your time and learn to OC it. It's just not like Intel levels of easy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHJ16hD4ysk
(Yes, I know I just linked LTT, but this is legit good info, not click-baiting entertainment)

Srsly_Bro
Gerbil

Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:50 am

DragonDaddyBear wrote:
Speed is only one factor. Latency can have a huge impact, too. Ryzen 3 is especially impacted by this. More than anything, it's about the Infinity Fabric speed. If you're lazy and cheap (I know I am), then DDR 3200 CL14 is your best bet. You can get a LOT more out of Ryzen 3, though, if you really take your time and learn to OC it. It's just not like Intel levels of easy.
(Yes, I know I just linked LTT, but this is legit good info, not click-baiting entertainment)

Read the review I posted from tpu. Their results, on average, don't show much gain from costly low latency memory.

DragonDaddyBear
Gerbil Elite

Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:51 am

Srsly_Bro wrote:
DragonDaddyBear wrote:

Read the review I posted from tpu. Their results, on average, don't show much gain from costly low latency memory.

Watch the review I posted and it's more about overclocking the RAM and Infinity Fabric. You're right if that it won't make a huge difference if you don't OC, but if you do, and you know what you are doing, wow it does.

Srsly_Bro
Gerbil

Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:25 pm

DragonDaddyBear wrote:
Srsly_Bro wrote:
DragonDaddyBear wrote:

Watch the review I posted and it's more about overclocking the RAM and Infinity Fabric. You're right if that it won't make a huge difference if you don't OC, but if you do, and you know what you are doing, wow it does.

That's good to know. At stock it doesn't seem to really matter. My next rig will be a Zen 2 thread ripper and I don't plan to over clock. I have found some Samsung b-die ECC that over clocks so I can still get some high memory speeds.