Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Thresher

OneArmedBandit
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

MB suitable for Linux & W10

Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:24 pm

A while back I built a new PC using a Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming 3 (rev 1x) MB. I recently decided to install a dual-boot Linux system, but dimly recalled an entry in the MB setup that indicated a Windows machine. I emailed Gigabyte re MB Linux compatibility & they responded "We do not offer Linux support on our products. Please use Windows base for full driver support."

I am fairly disgusted with this answer.....

I will build a new PC - but how do I ensure dual boot compatibility???

Thanks in advance for your guidance!

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: MB suitable for Linux & W10

Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:28 pm

Unless you're looking at enterprise (server) gear, Linux generally is NOT officially supported. You'd probably get pretty much the same answer from Asus, MSI, ASRock, or any of the other motherboard vendors.

That said, just because it isn't officially supported doesn't mean it won't work. In general, motherboards "just work" with Linux whether it is officially supported or not. You can test this by booting a live Linux image from a USB stick.

The most likely area to run into Linux motherboard compatibility issues is with voltage/temperature monitoring and fan control. Support for the various sensors and fan headers can be very hit-or-miss. Most BIOSes have fairly reasonable built-in fan controls these days; I generally just set a fan profile in the BIOS and don't worry about it. So it'll probably come down to how much you care about being able to check system voltages and temperatures from within the OS.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.