Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Thresher

mvp324
Gerbil
Topic Author

Possible SATA port issue on Mobo

Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:26 pm

Hi, recently I’ve been having trouble with my PC specifically reading either my game drive or main SSD. By reading I mean the pc boots up but says drive is inaccessible. I’m sure this happened during my recent move, and made worse when I fell down my steps carrying the PC. I have a nice divot in my wood floor to show for it. I had just recently upgraded before the issue from 128 to 512 for my main drive. I moved all the devices over to the removable SATA ports, but the game drive started to disconnect after an external HD wouldn’t show up when plugged into a USB port . At this point I believe the issue is my mobo. What other steps should I try to pinpoint my issue? The system is the one in my sig, and yes I know I am way overdue for some upgrades.
i7-4770K, ASRock Z87 Extreme9/ac, 2x EVGA SC 780Ti SLI, 2x G.SKILL TridentX Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3 2400, Creative Sound Blaster Z, Samsung 840 EVO 120GB TLC (OS), Samsung 840 EVO 1TB MLC (Games), ZALMAN 1250 Platinum, NANOXIA Deep Silence 2 Mid Tower

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: Possible SATA port issue on Mobo

Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:13 am

Yeah, cracked PCB trace on mobo is a possibility, and can cause all manner of mayhem. But it's also possible that a single flaky drive is causing I/O hangs and resulting in general misbehavior.

Does system misbehave even if game drive is disconnected? TBH if the game drive is a mechanical HDD I would be rather surprised if it survived a fall down the stairs.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

mvp324
Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:50 am

just brew it! wrote:
Yeah, cracked PCB trace on mobo is a possibility, and can cause all manner of mayhem. But it's also possible that a single flaky drive is causing I/O hangs and resulting in general misbehavior.

Does system misbehave even if game drive is disconnected? TBH if the game drive is a mechanical HDD I would be rather surprised if it survived a fall down the stairs.

So the drives were working fine in the removable SATA ports, but just recently the games drive was acting up. I blame this on me hooking up an extra usb WD passport drive to see if it still works. Both main drive and games drive are SSD. An example is I launch steam and when I try to launch a game it fails to start as some how the drive decides to eject/disconnect itself. Before hooking up the external I was ok when launching and playing games from my game drive.

I have yet to try to move the drives to different ports in hopes one of her can work but, at this point it seems it is better/easier to just get an upgrade. I was hoping DDR5 was out before I’d have to upgrade, but it doesn’t look like it :|
i7-4770K, ASRock Z87 Extreme9/ac, 2x EVGA SC 780Ti SLI, 2x G.SKILL TridentX Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3 2400, Creative Sound Blaster Z, Samsung 840 EVO 120GB TLC (OS), Samsung 840 EVO 1TB MLC (Games), ZALMAN 1250 Platinum, NANOXIA Deep Silence 2 Mid Tower

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:56 am

Need for an upgrade regardless aside, if the problem is one of the drives, upgrading may not fix the issue. I'd be surprised if plugging in the external was the cause.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

mvp324
Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:25 am

just brew it! wrote:
Need for an upgrade regardless aside, if the problem is one of the drives, upgrading may not fix the issue. I'd be surprised if plugging in the external was the cause.

I’ll continue to trouble shoot, in the hopes I can find the right SATA ports to use. I also have an external usb sabrent IDE/SATA reader I can use also.

mvp324
Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:04 pm

Troubleshooting:
1) unplugged the main drive, bios saw no drive
2) plugged in main drive slot 0, bios saw it, but no other drive
3) plugged in main drive slot 0, unplugged what I think is game drive, bios saw only main drive
4) plugged in main drive slot 0 - 5, unplugged game drive and blu-ray drive, bios saw only main drive
5) ran all the boot fix commands only fixboot was access denied
6) said **** it and tried resetting my PC, keeping only my files and nothing else currently at 89%

IT’S ALIVE!!!! So I’m assuming something was corrupted during a windows update or program update

With that said I might look into upgrading my mobo, cpu, and possibly my GPU.

Whelp that was a lie, hooked up my games drive and blu-ray back to the same old unable to access boot drive. And they both don’t show in bios still. I’ll try the reset option and see what happens.

Replaced SATA cables and unplugged Blu-ray, seems to be working now. So hopefully it stays like this.