Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Thresher

Klanky
Gerbil
Topic Author

Need some help troubleshooting mobo

Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:15 pm

Hello all, I built the PC in my sig back in March 2020 and added the video card in August 2020. It has been working flawlessly up until yesterday. In the middle of my wife using it, it suddenly crashed. We go to turn it back on, everything powers up and the CPU warning LED illuminates on the mobo. The system won't turn off with the power button, I have to switch off the PSU to make it turn off. The manual provides nearly no information on how to troubleshoot the CPU LED, and I do not have a spare CPU to tell if it is actually a CPU problem or a mobo problem. I have contacted Gigabyte support about this, but I am unsure if the mobo is still under warranty or if it is even a problem with the mobo. So far I have tried:

Unplugging everything except the monitor, still won't POST
Cleared the CMOS, no change
Re-seated the RAM, no change

A friend of mine is suggesting flashing the BIOS, however I am a little hesitant to take that step before I hear back from Gigabyte (plus it's been 15+ yrs since the last time I updated a BIOS LOL). Does anyone here have any suggestions for further troubleshooting steps I could take?

Thanks!
AMD Ryzen 5 2600X
Gigabyte GTX 1650 Super Windforce OC
120 GB SSD
2 TB HDD
Gigabyte B450 Aorus-M
NZXT H510
16 GB Ballistix DD4 3200

K-L-Waster
Gerbil Elite

Re: Need some help troubleshooting mobo

Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:43 pm

When you say "unplugged everything" does that include the internal storage devices? You might be able to at least get into the BIOS with them removed -- if so, the problem could be one of the drives dying.
Main System: i7-8700K, ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-E, 16 GB DDR4 3200 RAM, ASUS 6800XT, 1 TB WD_Black SN750, Corsair 550D

HTPC: I5-4460, ASUS H97M-E, 8 GB RAM, GTX 970, CRUCIAL 256GB MX100, SILVERSTONE GD09B

Klanky
Gerbil
Topic Author

Re: Need some help troubleshooting mobo

Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:38 am

K-L-Waster wrote:
When you say "unplugged everything" does that include the internal storage devices? You might be able to at least get into the BIOS with them removed -- if so, the problem could be one of the drives dying.

No, it didn't. However, I just tried that and still no good. At that point the only thing plugged in was the GPU, RAM, CPU, and the various front headers. Thanks for the idea!

Still haven't heard back from Gigabyte support, but it IS still under warranty, as is the CPU. Just not sure how to tell for sure whether it is a problem with one or the other.
AMD Ryzen 5 2600X
Gigabyte GTX 1650 Super Windforce OC
120 GB SSD
2 TB HDD
Gigabyte B450 Aorus-M
NZXT H510
16 GB Ballistix DD4 3200